• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Servicing

I thought I would start a thread to discuss servicing on our beloved beasts.

There is some confusion from Dealerships which leads to confusion as a customer.

The FK2 Civic Type R was built on variable servicing. It should be counting down the miles to your next A or B service. There are also the annual service and the major services at 24,000 miles on so on.

I have heard stories of dealerships turning off the variable service in favour of the annual service.

I was pleased to find that my vehicle is still on the variable system and when my first A service was due at 4,800 miles I took it into Reading Honda. I purchased the Honda 5 year service plan with my car. I was surprised to find out that the A and B services are apparently not included in the 5 year service plan and I ended paying £95 for the service. I also had to tell the engineers on several occasions to make sure that they do not turn off the variable servicing.

After speaking to a few people it appears that I was incorrectly informed and that the 5 year plan should cover ALL services in that 5 year period.

I have now emailed Honda UK Customer Services for clarification and will update you with the response.

Have any of you had similar experiences? Has your car's variable servicing been turned off by the dealer?

Mine was serviced at indicated point A on variable servicing at 9,300 miles and 10 months old. It was the the day after a track day and I was busy showing the dealer principal and salesman the video of me on track during the service.

Honda authorised the service without question, it does appear that your dealer is wrong and didn't ask to HUK to authorise the service under the plan.

Service at 4800 miles!? Christ! Mines on 6400 at the moment and no signs of needing a service yet. When I took out the service plan my dealer stressed to me that EVERYTHING is covered bar the usual consumables.

Just some clarification for me, what's the difference between variable servicing and normal servicing? And why would dealers turn off this feature? And this car will alert you when it's due a service providing its due in before 12,500 correct?

Service at 4800 miles!? Christ! Mines on 6400 at the moment and no signs of needing a service yet. When I took out the service plan my dealer stressed to me that EVERYTHING is covered bar the usual consumables.

Just some clarification for me, what's the difference between variable servicing and normal servicing? And why would dealers turn off this feature? And this car will alert you when it's due a service providing its due in before 12,500 correct?

Not everything is covered by Honda. I paid last thursday 245 euros plus VAT for A & B servicing. The oil, which they say is special, cost me 126 euros plus VAT! Everything is shining before you buy a car. The bad news come later

The reason they turn the variable servicing off is sometimes the annoyance to the customer of having say an Oil service only at 'X' miles only to be told by the on board computer that it needs a air filter services 4 weeks/ 8 weeks later...and so forth.

The services sometimes used to come together quite close, hence the most practical way for most normal people would be the 12k or 12 months whichever came first.

Type R Owners are likely to keep their eye on the oil level and ask for a change in-between at times (at a cost to the customer)

I'm on the fixed service schedule but had the service b light pop up recently. Need to get it turned off.

B is just inspection/health check,

Mines still counting down B service 6300 with the oil can icon, A has still yet to surface, I was hoping it would have by now so I can be sure the system is working as it should & i can be more confident in the system.
Mine is meant to be activated as well, so I'm hoping its realised I drive like a girl

Mine was serviced about 3000 miles ago (first service) and the b service light keeps coming on every time I start the car. A bit annoying.

Exactly how mine was, & now its the other way around, I've recently read of another owner still showing B after his 1st service

:lol: I must have gotten away with mine then, unless the A services coincided with B services too.

Has the price gone up now for these plans. That link says it's £895 for a petrol car. I paid £555 for mine.

Makes you wonder if it caught them out with the servicing schedules on the FK2, people having 3-4 a yr they'd definitely be making a loss

Another 555 here.

You'd expect Honda to lose money.
If the cost was the same as paying regular prices. Why would you pay up in advance.
Especially if your circumstances change and you p/x the car in after a year for example...

... which is exactly what i got. A nearly new FK2 with 555 on it. Previous sucker covered my ass for the next 4 years. Cheers pal.

It was £555 if bought with the car when it was new. If bought after that it was £895.

I have the 5 year plan on mine but I thought it was serviced annually, not variable. Is it a case of the main services being annual/12,500 miles but the interim ones will be varied in their timing or is it all services? As with a couple of others, I'm a little confused.

I'll also be a little miffed if all my services aren't included as that's why I bought the plan. On my Mini GP all the services were included.

I'm in my car checking it now and it has a spanner saying 5600 miles and below it an 'A' with an oil can next to it. Am to take it that means my first service will be an A service at 5600 miles (so in 1400 miles time as I have just under 4200 miles on the clock)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back