• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Problem with fan or thermostat after coolant change

Right guys, I am in the process of changing all my oils and coolant before I take my ep3 on track.

So I set about changing the coolant. I drained the system, flushed it then filled it back up again. For some strange reason the fan is not kicking in. The car is jacked up higher at the front,the radiator cap is off, I start the car, set to maximum heat and put the blower on full. The temp gauge inside the car rises to just below the halfway mark and sits their constant. Plenty of heat comes out inside the car. This is all good but have noticed the fan behind the radiator is not kicking in. I have checked the fuse and is fine. What I did notice is the large radiator hose going into the block at the top is very warm but when lying underneath the car and I grab the large hose coming out of the thermostat and back into the radiator..... this is cold which seems to me the water is not circulating. I have been squeezing both these large hoses to try remove trapped air.

Anyone have an idea what the problem is ? Got to be trapped air, problem with fan or thermostat stuck.

Thanks in advance

Must be trapped air mate, so the fan switch not getting any temp enough to engage the fans. It happen to me when I change it, try to squeeze the hoses so you see the coolant moving up and down from the radiator cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been doing that mate but no joy. I thought maybe the thermostat isn't opening but don't fancy that job of replacing until I know for sure.

Tried today again. Still couldn't get fan to kick in. The fan was previously working. If it is an air blockage then I have no idea how I can remove it.

Only thing I can suggest is take it for a drive and take some coolant with you to top up. Keep a close eye on the temperature gauge. Check the levels after a while too if the drive is uneventful.

Buddy, have you try the small hoses into the air condition? Sorry I can't say the word.

If the bottom rad hose is cold compared to the top rad hose, the thermostat hasn't opened. You need to run the engine longer, with a fast idle (2000-3000rpm) and wait for the thermostat to open. Then the fans should then cut in.
If the engine starts to overheat:
Bottom rad hose cold, thermostat stuck shut.
Bottom rad hose hot, fans not running. Radiator fan issue.

Jump wire the fan switch to see if the fans is working properly mate, then be patient to wait a little longer mate, can't see why the thermostat giving up must be the trap air in the system because you done the coolant flushed..

Back