• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

K20 Engine Whine - Is it normal?

Hello everyone,

Could anyone help with my issue, looks like it has been covered 100's of times but no definitive answer.

Brought a 05 EP3 2 months ago with an engine whine, so I have replaced -

The idler pulley bearing
the tensioner pulley bearing
Aux belt

Whilst the belt was off I thought I would start and run it but the whine was exactly the same... defiantly not the gearbox as clutch up or down there is no difference

I have a short video attached and just need to know, are these engines inherently whiney? Or should I be looking to change Timing chain/Tensioner/Guides? Possibly Valve Clearances?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiO8lFilnpE&feature=youtu.be

Car has done 67000 Miles FSH

Thanks in advanced!

I can't watch the vid at work, does the whine increase in pitch with the revs?

When mine did that it was the water pump pulley.

With the Aux belt disconnected it there is no change in sound and water pump is belt driven? I guess it has to be internal but I cannot pin point where it is coming from, using long screwdriver with my ear to it that is.

Ahh yea, it's belt driven.

My next port of call would be the chain tensioner in that case

Do I go ahead and replace everything in there while I am at it? Or would you start with tensioner and check all other components?

If I do the lot its done then, 300 for a kit... expensive but still cheaper than an engine I guess!

How bad is the whine? The K20 makes a whiney noise out of the box, believe it's a characteristic of it being chain driven.

Thank you for that, I have ordered chain, tensioner and all guides as well as honda sealing compound from Cox Motorsports, 296 including Vodka and Tonic.

Does anyone know if the Crank Tools are available from Halfrauds or any motor factors, would like to crack it out this weekend but delivery online is an issue unless anyone could lend theirs for a few beer tokens? Located in Newmarket, thanks

Back