• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Mike's Cosmic EP3

So I set about cleaning/polishing my headlights today, it's been a basically a half-day job but I'm pretty happy with the results. I used the Philips Headlight Restoration Kit HRK00XM. It cost less than twenty pounds from Amazon. It's a little fiddly, you need some masking tape (since the kit doesn't come with any) and they're a little stingy on the sandpaper (one square 600grit, one square 1500grit and two 2000grit, if you can get hold of more elsewhere you might be well served). You're basically buying the kit for the polish to apply at the end.

Here's some before/after:

The middle picture was my first attempt, after that I'd borrowed a polisher from a neighbour, used some G10 finishing compound and reapplied about 7 coats of the polish/protectant that came with the kit, it looks even better now but it was getting close to end of day so I didn't get a chance for any better photos.

I'd recommend it, take your time and work methodically.

Great job you've done there mate. Lovely cosmic EP3 you have and I really like your previous cars too.
Like you, I want to do so much to my ep3 but just have to do bit by bit.
I've had mine nearly 3 years now and still have a huge wish list.:D

Cheers.

Thanks Ricki, my list is still pretty massive, I just try to do the bits I can step by step. I had planned on just replacing the lights. The end result would have been a little nicer, but the cost would have been about 13x as much...

This is supposed to last at least a few years, so I've offset that decision :) Up close you can still tell, but from a regular distance they almost look new.

I do love the cosmic, now I've seen people claying theirs it's something I feel I should probably learn to do, there's always something new!

I've enjoyed a number of my previous cars. I never got around to installing the twin-carb on the EF, that could have been amusing. I was quite young then though. The Prelude was probably my turning point when it comes to dealing with mechanical things and no longer being afraid to just try it.

Take a small thing on your wish-list and just do it. You can see the discussion above where people were trying to convince me to do a partial gearbox rebuild :p

All that elbow grease was well worth it. The headlights look great mate

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

All that elbow grease was well worth it. The headlights look great mate

Here's hoping it remains looking that good for a while. Interestingly it looks "more modern" for some reason now, the faded/yellowed lights just aged the car so much.

Here's hoping it remains looking that good for a while. Interestingly it looks "more modern" for some reason now, the faded/yellowed lights just aged the car so much.
You're welcome mate. Very good point about the car looking more modern too

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Great work you've done there. I had mine done last year but they've faded again already! :(

Great work you've done there. I had mine done last year but they've faded again already! :(

Thank you, I can still feel the sunburn that I wasn't thinking about on my right forearm and in my hairline.

That kinda sucks :( What did you use?

I made sure that what I got had a protective coat. If I'd used sandpaper/polisher only I suspect I'd be in the same boat.

The other option is to actually pull the assemblies from your car, polish them to whatever epic standard suits you and then apply something like this, carefully - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uv-Resistant-Acrylic-Coating-Aerosol-Spray/dp/B00397STRW

Last option, as always, buy new ones, but I'll see how this works out first :)

Only because I'm flattering with the photos ;)

But, thank-you. I tried to find a model in moderately good condition, now I just need to keep it that way.

Nothing hugely exciting, fitted some Jazz washer jets and the Tegiwa battery tie-down recently. Only got the tie down because the old one was horrifically rusty and the Tegiwa one was around half price.

The jets are shooting a little high, and since they're a fan design rather than metal jets I'm not too sure how to adjust them, anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing hugely exciting, fitted some Jazz washer jets and the Tegiwa batter tie-down recently. Only got the tie down because the old one was horrifically rusty and the Tegiwa one was around half price.

The jets are shooting a little high, and since they're a fan design rather than metal jets I'm not too sure how to adjust them, anyone?
Like wise. I fitted washer jets last week to mine. Try a flat head screw driver. But be careful not to damage the opening of the jets.

I fitted these last year, the best thing to use is a bluntish table knife. Just ease the centre of the jet down gently until you get in into the desired spot.

Thanks both, I'll have to take a closer look at them again and go from there. I had worried they might not be adjustable at all.

Easily damaged so take your time, maybe wrap a bit if tape around the screwdriver head?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Forgot to say thanks to all for the ideas about the jets, they've been adjusted and settled down now.

Bought some clay a while back too and gave it a good going over. For a first attempt the result was awesome.

Yeah, I know, rubbish photo (blame a mobile and sunset for the noise), but it felt good to see the end result.

Also, my exhaust is in the country, last I heard it was slowly making its way through customs... so, so slowly. Hopefully it'll arrive before the weekend. I have J's Racing rear hangers and the front triangle too as replacements for the original OEM stuff, here's hoping the recommendations were worthwhile :)

It's arrived, looks like this weekend's going to be busy!

Well packaged, if a little roughed-up

Still, they know how to pad it well, which is reassuring

So shiny!

Back