• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Mike's Cosmic EP3

Good luck tomorrow mate, looking forward to seeing it fitted. Wish these weren't so expensive because I'd love one, I'm drooling!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Good luck tomorrow mate, looking forward to seeing it fitted. Wish these weren't so expensive because I'd love one, I'm drooling!

You've done so much on yours, I'm still envious.

I figure this for a bit of an investment. I got it a little cheaper than the going rate which was nice; I'm hoping it will last. I know they're costly, but even a "cheap" replacement stainless catback is at least half the cost.

Thanks for the good wishes. I managed to talk a neighbour into letting me use his workshop since the weather's been a bit crap of late, so at least I'll have that going for me. I'll try to get some videos of sound before/after too.

So, install done, took me about 2hrs with a bit of messing around during the process, this is probably the fastest piece of work I've done yet. Either I'm getting better at this or I just got lucky.

On the down-side, the flange on the cat is showing signs of deterioration which worries me, but that's something for another day :)

Before and after sounds:

Appareance:

It sticks out a bit more than the OEM one because I don't have the JDM cat, I can live with that though. If the cat flange fails then maybe I can get a new one put on after cutting off the old, making the whole thing a bit shorter anyway :)

Many thanks to my neighbour for letting me use his workshop. Shelter, help, and additional tools were much appreciated.

It's amazingly quiet in the cabin, no drone, and the bass note at idle is pleasant.

Last edited:
Nice work, looks lovely. Doesn't sound much louder than OEM to my untrained ears....which is a good thing in my book!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nice work, looks lovely. Doesn't sound much louder than OEM to my untrained ears....which is a good thing in my book!

Thank-you, that's one of the reasons I went for this in particular. I didn't want loud, I wanted good and long-lasting (and an OEM-look exit - twin pipe).

I think (other than the slight bass tone) that it might even be a bit quieter. Definitely a nicer and maybe slightly quieter sound in the cabin. Hard to say, things like driving feel/power/whatever could just be confirmation bias (me trying to convince myself it was worth the money :) )

Forgot to mention. At the insistence of my neighbour I ran the engine and gunned it a bit with just the b-pipe on. Loud, but amusingly quieter than a lot of other full exhaust systems I've heard :D Definitely worth the investment.

That looks great and you have done a good job.

I would like one of these as I prefer the twin exit look. Just wish I could find something a bit cheaper. I may have to just replace my mid pipe and keep the oem tail pipe.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I would like one of these as I prefer the twin exit look. Just wish I could find something a bit cheaper. I may have to just replace my mid pipe and keep the oem tail pipe.

Thank you :) I may need to pay someone to replace the cat flange in future, but that can wait. I felt similarly regarding cost, but there aren't a huge number of choices if you want both airflow and quietness. It's a real shame about the cost but your options are limited if you make the twin-pipe look a requirement.

In the greater scheme of things (when it comes to car parts) it's not a huge pile of money, just enough to make things uncomfortable or limit some other purchase. I got it a bit cheaper than the going rate because I took part in a larger overseas order.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Don't know if I already recommended Bastuck exhaust systems? Looks pretty much the same, has a nice deep tone without getting farty in VTEC and gives noticable gains combined with a sports cat.
I got mine for about € 400,- but with a used rear section, completely new should be around € 700,-.

From how you describe it may sound similar to my Mugen Twinloop, love how non-asbo it is!

From how you describe it may sound similar to my Mugen Twinloop, love how non-asbo it is!

The youtube link should give an idea. I did initially look for a twinloop but all I could find were those OBX copies.

The outlet pipes look a bit bigger, and it sticks out a little more because it's not connected to the shorter JDM cat, but it's otherwise quite understated. A little more of a bassy note at idle, a little more noise at the top-end in VTEC, but over-all it's as quiet as, or quieter than, the OEM system in the cabin. Not bad given how much larger the diameter of the pipes are over all. :)

Seems like it's ideal then! I think the Twinloop has been discontinued maybe?

Mine would be quieter if it weren't for the Tegiwa M and the engine mount inserts but it's not as bad as the Spoon cat-back I once had on an EK4.

Seems like it's ideal then! I think the Twinloop has been discontinued maybe?

Mine would be quieter if it weren't for the Tegiwa M and the engine mount inserts but it's not as bad as the Spoon cat-back I once had on an EK4.

Sadly I think the twinloop may have been, yes. The OBX didn't look as well made (more angular rather than smooth bends to the pipes.

I have mount inserts on the rear mount, I don't think I could bear going back to a firmer set of mounts like I had in the previous EP3 I had though, vibration-city :(

Is the induction noise really so loud with the Tegiwa box?

I think my next mod should be de-rusting/repainting the underside. It's not expensive, just a lot of drudge work. I'd like to pull the skirts and check there too, but that carries some risk of me breaking something (or finding something awful, hah).

Not when you're on a stready run it isn't but I think the mount inserts amplify any additional cabin noise it was generating. I fitted the M after I had the mounts done so I couldn't compare really.

I have half of the engine mount inserts installed, back 2 mount IIRC. It's quite bumpy on idle already.

Also have some stiffer exhaust mounts, but they don't seems to make any difference in vibrations transferred to the cabin.

I have half of the engine mount inserts installed, back 2 mount IIRC. It's quite bumpy on idle already.

Also have some stiffer exhaust mounts, but they don't seems to make any difference in vibrations transferred to the cabin.

Yeah, I used the J's Racing exhaust mounts. For the little driving I've done so far they seemed fine noise-wise :)

I really wasn't a fan of more rigid engine mounts though. Everything in the rear mirror was a blur, cabin noise was unpleasant, etc.

So, install done, took me about 2hrs with a bit of messing around during the process, this is probably the fastest piece of work I've done yet. Either I'm getting better at this or I just got lucky.

On the down-side, the flange on the cat is showing signs of deterioration which worries me, but that's something for another day :)

Before and after sounds:
[video=youtube_share;_QiToJiCD0M]https://youtu.be/_QiToJiCD0M[/video]

Appareance:

It sticks out a bit more than the OEM one because I don't have the JDM cat, I can live with that though. If the cat flange fails then maybe I can get a new one put on after cutting off the old, making the whole thing a bit shorter anyway :)

Many thanks to my neighbour for letting me use his workshop. Shelter, help, and additional tools were much appreciated.

It's amazingly quiet in the cabin, no drone, and the bass note at idle is pleasant.

Yours sits lower than mine Mike
Is it because you have Js Racing hangers ?

Yours sits lower than mine Mike
Is it because you have Js Racing hangers ?

The J's Racing hangers permit me to adjust to 3 different heights. I think it's probably on the lowest right now. I could pull it up some more but didn't see the need. If it becomes a problem I still have room to move. I didn't want it bumping/rubbing.

The J's Racing hangers permit me to adjust to 3 different heights. I think it's probably on the lowest right now. I could pull it up some more but didn't see the need. If it becomes a problem I still have room to move. I didn't want it bumping/rubbing.

Oh I see,mine are on oem hangers which I brought brand new when I got my exhaust fitted, the hight is 10mm from the bumper to the top of the tailpipe

Back