• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Mike's Cosmic EP3

I did exactly the same on my Cosmic EP3 when I took everything out to fit the JDM carpet.

I think I remember reading your post years back. Didn’t you do a how to sort of thread?

Well it certainly stuck with me at the time, as I remember thinking to myself “ one out, now go steady on this one, as you don’t want it to shea...........iiiiit!” Bloody thing did any way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replacing ABS sensors... grrr!

A tip for anyone who's seen their ABS light come on, and worked out which sensor it is (I did so by borrowing a very expensive OBD2 reader with ABS functionality):
  1. Working out the causes of ABS failure is harder than it should be. I was lucky that I have a generous neighbour with some nice diagnostic kit.
  2. Replacement OEM parts are expensive, like £159 expensive. You can get aftermarket parts for a LOT cheaper, but be careful with part numbers.
  3. Actually pulling the sensor from the knuckle is awkward work since it's friction-fit and rust has likely tightened that to a point you might think of using power tools to drill it out.
  4. The socket clips onto the mount, which is attached to the sensor cable, this is in a slightly fiddly location and you might need to spend some quiet time after trying to pry it free to avoid getting aggressive and breaking a wire.
  5. Putting the new sensor back in place requires you line it up perfectly with a bolt-hole. Since it's friction-fit, rotation in a rusted area is difficult. You might want to get a long bolt for alignment or a piece of threaded rod the same size as the bolt used to secure it to avoid needing to try pulling the new sensor as soon as you install it.

I managed to extract the old sensor by using the tapered end of the hooked rod that comes with the scissor jack that came with the car. Any shallow tapered long rod should do, you can drive it between the hub and the sensor (but not against the actual notched section of the hub the sensor reads from) and that should mean you get a little clearance between the knuckle and sensor to gradually work it out.

All up I saved around £240, £159 for the part and possibly £110 for an hour's labour given my local dealership's rate for diagnostics and installation. So not too bad. I was prepared for removing the sensor itself, but not for the fiddly cable bit, nor the difficulty with retainer bolt alignment.

Make sure you file or sand the inside of the mount ring to make pushing the new sensor home a little easier.

I did mine a while back when I swapped the hubs side to side. I just used some cheap replacement parts, they were fine apart from the sensors being too long, so I packed the bolts out with 3 or 4 washers to get the right clearance. They were only £20 ish a side though.

To remove them I used some penetrating spray and some mole grips to get the sensor spinning in the housing and then slowly levered it up, took a little time but got there in the end.

I used a long bolt with the head cut off (m8) and cut a slot in the end. Stick it in a drill with some emery cloth and it's perfect for cleaning up mounting holes for abs sensors, slider pins and any other surfaces that need a clean up. That way when fitted with some grease they can easily be rotated but still enough friction to fit securely.

Glad you're all sorted now though.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

Back