• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Oil top up question

Hi guys

So I recently purchased a 2008 type r and have a couple of noob questions. The engine has used some oil and is near the bottom marker, so I want to get 1l and top it up to last until its service in June

So firstly, what oil and grade should I go for ? Secondly, does it matter if the oil I use to top it up is a different grade to what's in it already ? Might be a stupid question but if you don't ask you don't know

As an after thought, I want to get it checked over and service and mot in June, any recommendations of somewhere to take it in the derby area

Thanks
Steve

Check oil level every week-fortnight, these cars use a lot of oil, depending on driving style etc. It's the most VITAL fluid to check on these cars and any car really but the VTEC system works on oil pressure etc so make a regular habit of checking your oil level and keep some spare oil for top up's.

Most use 5-40 fully synthetic oil, although some use 0-40 fully synthetic and some use 0-30 fully synthetic, I've always used the first.

Get a decent brand I personally use Castrol Edge, but Millers, Fuchs, Motul are popular, you could even use genuine Honda.

Personally I would stick to the same oil brand and grade, for now I would put in 5-40 fully synthetic to top up, get it well drained at the service then stick to the same grade/brand for the foreseeable future.

Genuine Honda oil filter or I've always used HAMP filters then too.

As for a garage recommendation I wouldn't know as I'm from Wales :lol:, hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply shoonk, I'll pick some up tomorrow

After the service I'll carry on using the same oil, I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't cause any issues in the short term

Nah you'll be fine topping up, better oil than no oil. Just don't mix mineral with part synthetic or full synthetic, or part with full etc and it'll be fine.

Hi

As mentioned above, 5w-40 is the most common option.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT+, Motul Sport/300V, Red Line and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XF Longlife, Castrol Edge/Magnatec, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

You are fine topping up with a synthetic, semi or mineral oil though, pretty much all oils mix, it's only odd ones (like castor based and biodegradable oils) that don't mix.

Cheers

Tim

Back