• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

RRC inlet manifold+FD2 TB vs FD2 oil pump balancer shaft delete

Hi guys,
Just an update of what I have done so far.

Groupe M intake
Fd2TB
RRC inlet manifold
Tegiwa exhaust manifold
Toda Racing exhaust
Hondata

The car made 233bhp on 95 unleaded BP fuel.
I am very happy with the results and now I am itching for something new.
I just gave a call to HondR about a price for FD2 balancer shaft delete kit and fd2 cams installation just to compare the quote I got from Eurospec.
I was told that I will need the Spoon sump for the oil pump upgrade and that fd2 cams will not do anything for my fn2 and was recommended drag cartel. I was also told I need to change my exhaust and intake and TB to see any gains from cams.
Will it be that bad with the parts I already have?
Thanks again guys.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I would try someone else. Nothing wrong with the exhaust and TB. The GruppeM has been seen to be limited to about 250bhp though so not suitable if you are going for higher figures. FD2 cams are quite mild, so what they probably meant was if you are going to swap them you may as well go for something else more aggressive. The thing is FD2 cams work well with the OEM valvetrain and head.

It is a never ending game, but it does sound like they are trying to get you to spend more money.

I was explained by the guys at HondR that FD2 cams will not give me any gains as the FD2 engine have compression of 11.1 and FN2 11.0.
I am not a mechanic and I don't understand it.
I was also told that the balancer shaft delete kit can not be done without the Spoon sump due to where the oil sensor of the FN2 is positioned. The spoon sump is close to £500 and the balancer shaft delete kit is close to £400 which makes 900 before labour.
I can't find any threads about changing the sump when doing that upgrade.

I am not chasing bhp numbers and if I can achieve 250bhp with the oil pump and fd2 cams, that would be more than what I have hoped I will get. I like the looks of the Groupe M too much

I am considering TDI North cams as well. I just don't know if they have the same reliability as the FD2 ones.
Thanks

Yes they do, I ran TDi cams for a while.

I've had the balancer shaft delete kit on 2 FN2s, neither had a Spoon sump.

Full kit list if what you need is in my build threads and from last time I did it here: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/2733994-post90.html

Do me a favour and don't use them. Speak to TGM since you are down that end of the country.

As Loxy said, a Spoon sump isn't needed, I would recommend a baffle of some sort however just to be safe if you're ever going to track it but again not needed.

As for cams TDi North's are your best bet unless you're after something more aggressive then Toda A3.
TDi's are mild(ish) I have their older stage 1's, their current "ultimate" ones should offer slightly more gains without the need to uprate the valvetrain or worry about the tensioner.

Just squeezed 250bhp but with a lower mileage motor and the newer cam profile 255-260 is achievable on TDi's with stock valvetrain.

Hi guys,
Just wanted to share about the expensive black Friday I had.
Couple of months ago I messaged Romain at Eurospec for advice on drop in cams and the concern I have regarding my Gruppe M intake.
He said that he seas the most consistent gains from dic with the Skunk2 ones and for intake my best bet will be Injen CAI. He also recommended I get RDX injectors too.
I rang Eurospec and I asked them for a quote for supply and fit the parts, but I also got in touch with TDI North and I asked for their advice on cams and intake.
Their recommendation was their own cams and Injen CAI because my 'letter box of an intake will not be enough' as they said. I then asked them what about the Skunk2 or the Hybrid racing CAI and their answer was that they don't like to chop their customers cars and this is what they recommend.
Eurospec gave me a better quote by the way.
Black Friday came, I had a pint, told the missus I am going to the shop for more, I went out and called Eurospec.
Fd2 oil pump balancer shaft delete kit
Cam chain kit
Rdx injectors
Injen CAI
Skunk2 drop in cams
I took my bank card out and started to make the payment over the phone and I felt I needed reassurance about the cams, so I asked Ben from Eurospec what he thinks and he mentioned Skunk2 cams on other honda engines being soft and ware out or damage internals on couple of occasions. That was enough for me and I just asked him to change the order and get me the TDI North cams instead which he personally recommended.
I managed to save about 380 pounds and the total bill was 2.3k
I also asked the missus to buy me a present for Christmas last month and I got the Megan Rs 3 brembos with Mtech discs and ferodo ds2500 pads.
Unfortunately I am so busy that I have no time to bed in the pads as one is slightly rubbing.
I will be fitting all the other parts spring time when it's warm.
I am also considering writing about my whole experience on this forum.

Thanks for the support guys

I forgot to mention that I also got a clockwise motion drop in baffled sump as advised.

Loxy,
I called TGM when I made my mind, but communication was bad.
They said that they are busy and I should email them what I want and a week or two later they emailed back saying I should call them as it's easier over the phone.

Loxy,
I called TGM when I made my mind, but communication was bad.
They said that they are busy and I should email them what I want and a week or two later they emailed back saying I should call them as it's easier over the phone.

Comms has not been a strong point recently which is a shame as they are a damn fine establishment!

Decent choice of parts, still would've gone with Hybrid Racing myself as you don't need to cut anything other than a piece of wire wrap to move a cable over when relocating the battery.

The injen at least will be close in performance and bolt pretty much straight on, I just wasn't keen on the bends and smaller piping once I was that deep into modding. A local fella runs an injen on his with FD2 cams and makes decent power so it'll definitely do the job.

Depends what you're using the car for.
Weekend spirited driving if I have time at all. The missus likes showing off in front of her students ones a month as well . I bought the car as a toy/project. We drive a 12 plate accord type s diesel for a family car and I have a company van for work.

Decent choice of parts, still would've gone with Hybrid Racing myself as you don't need to cut anything other than a piece of wire wrap to move a cable over when relocating the battery.

The injen at least will be close in performance and bolt pretty much straight on, I just wasn't keen on the bends and smaller piping once I was that deep into modding. A local fella runs an injen on his with FD2 cams and makes decent power so it'll definitely do the job.
Paul from TDI explained to me that the Injen is the correct size intake and Romain recommended it as well, so I decided to go with their advice.
Out of interest what is the bhp figure of the fd2 cams with the Injen?

^ I had FD2 cams on my EP3, with AEM CAI (same thing), I made 248bhp on TDI's RR. That was with a silenced centre section and OEM backbox, japspeed 4-2-1 and an RBC. OEM TB.

Weekend spirited driving if I have time at all. The missus likes showing off in front of her students ones a month as well . I bought the car as a toy/project. We drive a 12 plate accord type s diesel for a family car and I have a company van for work.

I think DS2500 are quite poor. I'm running them currently, they're okay for the road but I think there's much better around such as PBS. Unfortunately I didn't have much choice.

Hi guys,
Just had the call from Eurospec that my car is all done and at first I was quite disappointed with the results. Then I realised that the first rolling road they used was at Surrey rolling road as their was broken.
Surrey rolling road 233hp
Toda exhaust, Tegiwa exhaust manifold, Gruppe M intake, RRC inlet manifold, Fd2TB
Eurospec rolling road today 235hp
Toda exhaust, Toda exhaust manifold, TDI North cams, Rdx injectors, Injen CAI, RRC inlet manifold, fd2TB and fd2 oil pump balancer shaft delete kit.
The first run the car made 214hp and after the map tweak it made 235hp which I see as 21hp gain.
Am I guessing right that if I take it to Surrey rolling road it will make 254hp?
I was disappointed when I found out that Romain didn't map my car this time and he might not be going back to Eurospec.

Back