• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 I am a total car noob but the Ep3 has always been my dream car since i was about 10.

No the petrol wont fly out but you will probably get 18mpg if you hold the car in vtec i am guessing, but this is the nature of performance cars. My old M3 was a 3.2 and it showed 14mpg when you gunned it!

I've gotten it down to 8mpg but that was a seriously fun day at Cadwell Park :D

Wow I can't believe the tyres are that much..... just to give me a rough idea I know it'll change based on my mileage but I do under 10k a year would you say that a 4 tyre change would be annual or more like 6 months? I'm assuming brakes should last somewhat longer than a year? Sorry I literally know nothing about cars I just can't deny now that I am fully turning into a petrol head! (Ugly term I know)

Yeah that set of tyres lasted 12 months which included a track day and about 20k of road use.

Brakes lasted nearly two years and saw two track days and about 12-15k on the road.

Dude I did send a private message not sure if you've seen it, but your offer would actually be exactly what I need. I'm more than happy to chuck you a fiver for the petrol you'd use to show me how they run. And I'd be more than happy/ almost suggest you having a go in the V5 it's epic. If you'd consider it. Thankyou so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...rice-from=2500&radius=55&price-to=3500&page=1

I've been in contact with this guy and he has just told me the following, do you think I should avoid this? An engine swap seems quite serious to me.... I'm sorry I just know nothing about cars.

"the engine got swapped over when the mileage on the odometer read 89k, with a 50k engine, so the new engine was serviced when it was first put in, and i serviced it a couple months back, no problems with it at all. so it's now on 65k But the odometer reads 104,000. have all invoices and paperwork from the engine swap, also a new clutch was fitted at the same time"

If anyone can advise me whether I should let this go I'd appreciate it.

I wouldn't be put off by an engine swap.... I'm not just saying that because of my weekend car either... my DERV audi has a replacement engine of unknown milage. It runs sweet as. I guess there's always that chance of a lemon though, but equally, you could say the same about the original engine too.

My ep3 has had an engine swap, I managed to speak to the chap who did the work (not who I bought the car off) my cars engine runs sweet. If it's been done properly then I see it as an advantage.

Ep3steve are you saying the Honda I posted just failed it's MOT for an oil leak? Did you go out of your way to check for me?!

Ep3steve are you saying the Honda I posted just failed it's MOT for an oil leak? Did you go out of your way to check for me?!

It didn't fail for the oil leak, it failed for the handbrake, I imagine this was tweaked and then a subsequent MOT was done and passed. The oil leak is an advisory, and scrolling back through the history it's not been mentioned before. If it has a new engine, recently, should it be leaking a bit of oil? Not sure, but it's not a great sign..

He has paid for a legitimate handbrake he showed me the receipt for a painful 123 pounds. I know so little about cars but according to the answer he gave me the leak is minor and apparently according to him all Ep3s leak oil slightly..... I am just so in love with the colour of this example and it does have what seems to be low mileage.... I'm not going to go jumping into it will have to do some research. He said it's the Vtech solonoid? Will google it all.

but according to the answer he gave me the leak is minor and apparently according to him all Ep3s leak oil slightly...

Just... no. Warning warning!

They may all eat/burn oil slightly (and even then only slightly and in particular situations because of how VTEC and cylinder-liner cooling works), but they shouldn't leak.

Just... no. Warning warning!

They may all eat/burn oil slightly (and even then only slightly and in particular situations because of how VTEC and cylinder-liner cooling works), but they shouldn't leak.

Agree - and it's in his interest to play down the oil leak after all.. avoid

Haven't got much to add but its nice to see someone so passionate about these cars!

I wouldn't worry so much about the tyre wear, if you're doing motorway miles like you said you'll get many in.

Good luck with the search! Plenty good info in here already

I am so so grateful to everyone that has taken the time/ takes the time to post here. Funnily enough I'm about to experience being in one for the first time ever thanks to Stardus! Taking me for a spin. This forum has proved to be absolutely epic! I'm sad that the advice is generally no in regards to the oil leak. If I were to ask for it to be fixed before purchase would you all still avoid?

I am so so grateful to everyone that has taken the time/ takes the time to post here. Funnily enough I'm about to experience being in one for the first time ever thanks to Stardus! Taking me for a spin. This forum has proved to be absolutely epic! I'm sad that the advice is generally no in regards to the oil leak. If I were to ask for it to be fixed before purchase would you all still avoid?

You're talking timing chain that may need changed at that mileage, oil leak would put me off too. If he cared about the car he would have fixed that by now.

Between that and the damage he states, I'd either want it cheap as chips or avoid. The seats look dirty AF too.

This is what he said to me before I mentioned the MOT check and oil advisory ""the engine got swapped over when the mileage on the odometer read 89k, with a 50k engine, so the new engine was serviced when it was first put in, and i serviced it a couple months back, no problems with it at all so it's now on 65k, the odometer reads 104,000. have all invoices and paperwork from the engine swap, also a new clutch was fitted at the same time"" is it possible the oil leak could be from that? I'm so in love with what it looks like that IF the oil problem was fixed then what other concerns are there? It's only 3k which I'm sure I could haggle a bit. Basically are you all convinced it's a definite no?

Is there any receipt / proof the engine had 50k on it though?

If it was fully documented by a reputable garage I would be ok with the engine swap, but what has been described i would avoid.

Issues like oil leaks would have been sorted, are there receipts for the new clutch etc?

There are plenty to choose from, you may just have to wait a touch longer or travel a little further.

I know what its like, on my first ep3 I bought the first one I saw and luckily it worked out for me.

But when I bought my second one it was well worth waiting to find the right one. Painful when you want to be behind the wheel right away though.

Back