• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hazz's 1971 mental Mini Clubman - JDM B18CR engine

Having spoken to stevie on the matter, he reckons the clutch is dragging. It's heavy AF too so I'm going to buy an OEM and swap that over.

I replaced the brake pads & cleaned the discs on Friday afternoon, much better (although still lacking in overall stopping performance).

It's now at the body shop, can't ferking wait.

8kQsjf0.jpg

zmR21Id.jpg

WfUVqar.jpg

ScIMzzL.jpg

Oh and... this is the back of the brake pad I replaced.

67D3Vps.jpg

Hence I replaced them & cleaned the discs at the same time.

No, it's CV grease.

That side was over greased on assembly... subsequently went EVERYWHERE. Totally coated that wheel... which is what brought it to my attention. So I cleaned it all up, drove it, cleaned it, drove it, cleaned it... etc etc until I was happy no more CV grease was coming out. Then replaced the pads.

:lol: apparently so. I was quite worried at first, as you might imagine... Finding grease coming out from between the spokes of your wheel isn't something you generally want to find after a spirited drive.

I maybe should have gone back to the garage that did the work and insist they clean everything/replace pads but it was more effort than it was worth, garage is a mission away. Pads were £40 & an absolute doddle to change. Easiest pads I've ever done, literally a 2 minute job, not including jacking and wheel removal.

Minor update:

It's still at the bodyshop. I was hoping to get it back last week but it's not been a straight forward fettle, fit, prime and paint. Obviously. Why would it be?

In short, my front end isn't straight to the body. Or the sub frame is mounted slightly to one side, or most likely - a combination of both. There's about 20mm difference from one wheel to the other. So, rather than pay a small fortune for the sake of 20mm, I've gone for derp spec different arch widths. You can't see both sides at once, so you can STFU, this is our little secret :lol:

Anyway, when I went in to see it - in primer and rear arches fitted it looked spon on. Dent and rust free for the first time in my ownership at least :)

It was supposed to be back at grinspeed last Monday, that clearly didn't happen. I've got an OEM clutch (hopefully fix the dragging clutch) and some OEM red dot rubber cones (springs) to replace the coil springs. I'll also adjust the ride height when this is done, raise the rear 10-15mm and drop the front by the same. I'll be re-booking when it know for sure I'm getting it back.

Last but not least, whilst at the bodyshop it's developed a monumental fuel leak. It always stunk of petrol, so it was on it's way. Guy who built it, including his custom fuel tank, didn't size the feed/return pipes correctly into the tank/pump. Rather than buy the correct odds and ends to step it down he just nicked a pipe and pushed it over before tightening down with a P-clip. £7 on ebay and I have the parts in the post.

Ooooh ooohh... AND, I nearly forgot!!!... I've put a bid in on a modified Eaton M62 & pulley kit and a 2 skin carbon boot.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can see both arches from the front though :lol:

70s BL metalwork has the constution of wet newspaper anyway, a sledgehammer should be sufficient to realign it.

FOAD. Ignorance is bliss.

:lol: It did cross my mind that perhaps a garage door caused the misalignment... Probably didn't help the situation anyway.

What confused me most was the bit about ‘raising’ the suspension??? Is this a do-able thing? ;) :lol:
Can’t wait to see it all finished H. It’s been a while, but I’m sure it’ll be worth it in the end, even if it does have odd arches :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well yea, needs must. Rear is sat about right looks wise but body to tyre gap isn't big enough and causes some scrub. I could tub them but I CBA with the expense and I don't have the time or inclination to learn bodywork and welding at this point in my life. Maybe one day.

If you look at the metro GTi (from which my suspension geometry is derived) you'll notice the nose down stance:

chrisfside.jpg

With the lack of individual adjustment I have to go down the raise/lower route to get the desired camber. At the moment I'm at 0 or + camber.

Another minor update:

Spoke to bodyshop today after Stevie at Grinspeed chased me up over when it's likely to be at his gaff.... From 2 weeks ago when I last saw it, rear arches on, dents & rust fixed & primered, front arches extended ready to fit and roof in primer... He's painted both rear quarters and the roof and not managed to get the front arches fitted or painted.

He's also said the paint I provided (BMW anthracite grey) isn't a perfect match despite being the same can of paint the car was painted from in 2014. Par for the course with me. It's darker and with more of a blue tinge apparently. Oh well.... I might paint the whole thing a different colour one day. Depends how we get on next summer.

Hopefully I get it into stevie in the next couple weeks otherwise it'll be getting too close to my next trip abroad for work.

Also can't remember if I mentioned my latest purchases or not...

12" Classic Mountney steering wheel in black/black leather
Moutney quick release boss (for M range only)
M to classic range adaptor (purchased ages ago)
Minispares "red dot" suspension cone springs (stiffer than OEM but not race spec)
Rover wheel nuts (because rover wheels have a strange taper and my others [Honda] were marking the alloys)
Fuel pipe stepdowns - to fix the leak/botch from previous owner
Honda OEM clutch & diaphragm - to be paired with my LW exedy flywheel & the stage 1 to be returned for a refund.

I'm not 100% sure I can use the quick release with the adaptor or not, it's won't be clear until I try assembling it all. I could do that with my current boss but it'll look sh1t with mixed manufacturers... I didn't realise the quick release boss was an extension for the normal boss, not a replacement... so that leaves me needing a mountney classic boss. If it doesn't want to play nicely then I'll just bin the adaptor and quick release and go with a standard moutney classic set up.

Negative ghost rider.

If I get chance and weather permitting, I'll do a short one of the drive to Grinspeed.

Just spoke to the body shop. It's all painted. Currently getting polished.

Some rubber arch trim on it's way, fit that and then its done. Collect possibly this weekend, if not early doors next week.

EXCITED :D

I might tee Stevie up at grinspeed to get it in there at the back end of next week. However with the sh1tty weather forecast and the impending trip abroad at the end of the month, that might not quite be possible. If not then it'll be in first thing in the new year.

Back