• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hazz's 1971 mental Mini Clubman - JDM B18CR engine

Transport booked from grinspeed to ADE Tuning in Darwin next Monday - EFI comms were atrocious. Impossible to get booked in with them any time soon unfortunately.

ADE have come well recommended by Stevie anyway, be reet.

Edit:

Just had a response from the carbon manufacturer for the exterior panels I’ve ordered, now 6 weeks late on an 8-12 week delivery (using the 12 week cutoff). Told him JAE is a week on Thursday - HTFU.

Dash likely won’t be fitted in time which is a bit annoying. It’s last minute.com on getting the thing tuned and MOT’d in time. I’m not 100% I’ll even make it :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Hazz, I can give you a base closer to the show ground. I'm still 45 mins away, but if you need a stop or place enroute then my house is available.

Went to grinspeed today to pick up some parts and have a chat about the car. I ended up giving it a spin around the carpark... suspension is crash as fook, feels less “rolly” though which is nice. Clutch feels way better, gearbox felt nice from 1st to 2nd, which is a first since the gearbox was fannied about with. Only slight issue other that the wayward idle (still on a b16 ECU) was the skunk2 70mm TB, that bloody thing is a lightswitch, I felt like a right bellend revving it out of the parking space, stevie with his fingers in his ears :Lol:

Fingers crossed for Monday and the RR!

Oh and I forgot the worst part. It’s a smoker. Seller told me it was a little smokey in vtec but that was an understatement. Engine build thread inbound :picardfp:

It’s at ADE tuning in Darwin, followed the transport truck there from grinspeed earlier. £55, not bad. Which reminds me, I need to pay the man...

Got it off the truck, started it up with the old ECU, hunting like crazy. I whipped the dash off and put the S300 in. Took about 15 minutes. The tuner guy jumped in and I was about to push it into the workshop, he cranked it and said ‘no chance’... fired right up and idled mint. Much less smoke too, which is promising.

Left it with them, they had a newish Lexus of some sort on the RR, 479bhp. Good time to leave. Vtec y0.

Do we want the good news or the bad news first?

Good news: It's off the rollers

Good news: It made 210bhp

Bad news: It only revs to 8200rpm due to maxed out injectors

Good news: There's more power to come

VERY bad news: It leaked oil all over the dyno. I asked, 'where is it leaking from?'. They answered, 'where isn't it leaking from?'.

Fcuk.

More potentially good news. The oil was way over full after the session on the rollers so there’s half a chance the excess oil consumption is due to that. Oil leak appears not to be cam seal or vtec solenoid, probably just a sump gasket. Excellent.

Drove it home. She’s a lot more torquey, only gave it the beans a couple times due to the level of smokiness. Not good, had to have the window wide open to get rid of the fumes. More bad news is an odd noise in and around vtec. Bit of a clattering noise, bearing or something perhaps? It’s a new noise to me so I’ve no idea. Sounded broken though.

I'm struggling to balance all this good and bad news, so I hate to think how you must feel!

Now you've driven it I'm sure you know the potential this thing has though! So much want from me. I'd love to get soemthing mental like this one day.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

I'm struggling to balance all this good and bad news, so I hate to think how you must feel!

Now you've driven it I'm sure you know the potential this thing has though! So much want from me. I'd love to get soemthing mental like this one day.

It’s been emotional.

mJIJP9Q.jpg

About 4 hours on the rollers and a 20 mile drive and my bumper looks like this. She likes a toot on the ol’ smokey pipe.

I should also mention my ‘long 5th’ feels like a long 4th too. Not entirely sure I got the right gear there :picardfp:

Could just be the shorter FD and b18 though (made a whopping 181lb ft, almost as much as my k20 made). Been a while since I drove it :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the vintage car and the vintage carpet!

With the gears you mean it's like changing from 4th to 4th and a half?

The power to weight of that thing must be pretty good though! I bet it picks up speed very quickly.

Straight from the front room of my house when I bought it :p

Yea, 4th to 5th I could barely feel the revs change, I have no gauges so hard to tell what’s really going on. It’s noisy AF and I had the windows open the whole time. 5th gear vtec was about 67mph according to my phone GPS app. I’m not sure what my crossover is at, I’ll have to check the dyno sheet. I think they’re sending me one via email so I’ll post that up.

It felt quicker all around and generally less skittish. I think the combo of the new diff and suspension work has paid off in that regard, it’s way more manageable. It’ll be a weapon when it’s done.

I look forward to seeing some videos of it in action. All that power that early will be great fun. With the weight of it I can't see it taking long to find vtec even if you're not there yet!

More potentially good news. The oil was way over full after the session on the rollers so there’s half a chance the excess oil consumption is due to that.

Was it that high before the session though? A sudden increase in oil level is potentially fuel getting into the sump

I hadn’t thought about that. Cheers for that extra anxiety :lol:

Stevie said he did all the levels, I didn’t check. Tuner didn’t check until after. You might be onto something.

My dip stick doesn’t smell like petrol, always reassuring to know.

There was a loose cover, put that in the bin. Weight-saving. Also the earth from the head to the chassis was loose at the chassis end. Tried to tighten it up but no bite, 2 man job or some inventive wedging skills required on the other side of the bulkhead. Started it up and no alarming noises. However I’m off tomorrow and I’ve had a couple beers so no test drive. I’m not about to rev it in the garage. Especially after the ADE lady told me she thought a car was blowing up on dyno the first time she heard it running from her office. She said it’s the loudest car since they did a Lambo. TarmacNymph approved.

Back