• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hazz's 1971 mental Mini Clubman - JDM B18CR engine

Pics, as threatened.

Edit:it appears all the piping has come away from moving it around, only just realised upon posing this pic... no worries, it just pushes back on. It’ll be snug against the steering column cowl when it’s fitted so shouldn’t go anywhere.

FUpa3Qy.jpg

Please excuse the masking tape :)

xHok7Mc.jpg

And this is what I’m dealing with in the car... or dealt with... It’s worked once and it’s going to work again god dammit!

paHw738.jpg

I’ve probably posted this before but I just feel like I’ve not posted a pic of the car for ages, this was leaving grinspeed for ADE last summer... The last day it saw anything road other than my road, which is a tiny cul-de-sac.

JbuORZP.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There's actually three sections of the protective stuff that's come away Hazz, FYI.

And regarding your previous comment about only driving it 2k miles in three years - that's essentially to and from garages surely?! :lol:

There's actually three sections of the protective stuff that's come away Hazz, FYI.

And regarding your previous comment about only driving it 2k miles in three years - that's essentially to and from garages surely?! :lol:

Surely you’re not in any position to comment about driving to and from garages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The majority of the miles are from Bristol to Southport the day I bought it :lol:

Totally different car since then though.

I drove it yesterday, first about 2 miles round trip and back home to tighten my wheel nuts. (Moron)

I also fixed a new coolant leak from the radiator hose, I must have disturbed it installing the temp sensor adaptor.

Then about 10 miles to Shell and back for some fuel. I didn’t try to hit vtec because of the map, it’s running half decent but very rich. Lots of backfiring on the overrun, sounded mean.

Dash all works apart from the fuel gauge but I knew that my sender was fubar, so no worries there. Bad news is that my brake bias valve won’t connect up with the length of cable I have. Also my side lights and hazards don’t work. Winner.

How do the insurance deal with your mileage? SD&P 5k, commuting 5k and 5k back and forward to various garages?!

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

Surely his commuting includes going to the garage?

214bhp, so not much of an increase from last time at 210.

It’s so silly quick :lol:

Obligatory bad news, crank seal is leaking & there’s a bolt loose on the IACV but it’s so close to the bulkhead it can’t be tightened. That rattles like feck in vtec which is annoying.

Edit: anyone know how I can get the sound to work on that vid?

I've been doing a lot of thinking and I've come to a sensible & logical conclusion.

I'm going to turbo it.

Why?

There's actually a small amount of logic involved. If I'm doing a rebuild and forging it for RPMs I'm not actually going to gain much. Some extra revs outside of the power band for quite a lot of outlay. On the other hand... If I were to put some low compression pistons in to reduce me from 13:1 to circa 9:1 I could run a pretty tasty turbo. Something in the TD04 range would be ideal. I'm thinking precision 4863 (I think, numbers might be wrong).

There's no room at all in the engine bay for a turbo so I'd be doing a remote mount somewhere near the battery & back box. Advantages being weight distribution which is something my car really struggles with & cost. The manifold and exhaust costs are much cheaper (current manifold and partial exhaust can be used, intercooler optional due to length of pipework under car doing the same job). The downside being loss of boost pressure, lag and having to run an additional coolant reservoir, radiator and scavenger pump - albeit tiny ones.

I'm going to buy a welder and some practise pipes from ebay in the coming weeks.

Love the logic of this. The outcome is going to be amazing!

Makes sense for the outlay versus potential to be fair. Would a k20 make more sense than a B for going the turbo route? Just thinking the cost of building the B would buy a decent k20 wouldn't it? Not trying to pick holes in your plans, just interested.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

Well a k series is an option but it does present many more complexities. The main one being the subframe. Then the steering rack would be in the way and then suspension, wheels, brakes would need to change too. Plus it’s physically taller than a b series so they often end up quite low.

To turbo this one is quite simple comparatively. Mount turbo at the back, chop current exhaust off somewhere near the middle, make pipe to turbo. Make another pipe back to the throttle body, a quick exit pipe and an air filter pipe. The only complicated part is the cooling really.

Back