• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hazz's 1971 mental Mini Clubman - JDM B18CR engine

Well, after some investigation. That carbon dash from a couple pages ago isn't 240 at all. It's double that. It also requires strengthening for the gauges to be mounted. They said most people just end up bonding on some ally as per the picture because invariably creating the binnacle holes in the CFC results in a mess.

So I've looked elsewhere and found this

dash%20panel-500x500.jpg

which is a standard mini dash, just needs and top and bottom rail (to be sourced from mini guy mentioned earlier).

So I priced this up (£156), a double skin bootlid in exposed weave (retaining all original mini fittings & locks etc) [£392] and an exposed weaved rear bumper (£153).

£741 shipped.

Fcuk. I might just slap it on the credit card and pay it off next month. It's that or just order the dash and bumper.

The other option is one of these but I'm not sold on the design...

548420_10150685829983897_608343896_9518858_977399848_n-500x500.jpg

£400 in fibreglass or £900 in exposed weave carbon.

Not sold on that last green one, seems quite bulky looking.

I custom made one in my old classic, but I made it from MDF so was a heavy fvcker, also made the centre console too, which looking back looked naff.

I'll see if I can find any pictures, sold my classic mini when I was 16 though, so it never made it onto the road.

Shame you're not closer H, i'm sure my mate could have fab'd up a custom one from ali or light steel. He did our mate's in his E36 and it looked mint.

I currently have a custom ally one which isn't the worst effort in the world. Problem is the centre console thingy which is too close for comfort with 1st 3rd and 5th. Taken some skin off my knuckles on more than one occasion there. The biggest issue though is the space behind the wheel. It's just not done in a way that'd take 3 binnacles or have them at the right angle. I'll get some pics before I tear it out.

Not 100% these pics will work hosted from another forum...

post-56449-0-43244100-1348253406.jpg

post-56449-0-66498000-1348434975.jpg

post-56449-0-10922500-1351285160.jpg

post-56449-0-99349400-1351438518.jpg

Original build diary for anyone who's interested:

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/220460-new-build-all-the-gear-no-idea/?st=0

Last edited by a moderator:
No mate, been with her 2.5 years near enough now. She’s got another 18 months or so visa left so I need to make up my mind!

:lol:

Only messing, the face on her was funny. I know we talk about big purchases now we are married and have different priorities, but before that, if house bills were paid, the rest was our own to spend on whatever we liked.

Update:

As you may or may not have seen... she's currently at grinspeed. It's been there a while actually, getting on 3 weeks now!... I did say "no rush, take your time" upon leaving it.

It's getting an OEM clutch and diaphragm or in fact, it's had that already. Stevie reports that the clutch no longer drags in neutral & the pedal feel is improved. Win.

He also reported that my pedal box is about as secure as Theresa May's job. So he's on with bracing that up somehow before he goes about bleeding the system. Fail.

His old man also races them and he's made some adjustable suspension components to sell - one of which I've purchased - rear camber/tow brackets. Win.

So he's parked it again this week. I don't think he likes working on it :lol: and said he'll do the brakes & suspension next week.

Will report back when I pick it up and drive the thing. If I can convince the GF, I'll bring her along and get her to hold a camera whilst I hoon it home.

Just got back from grinspeed, it’s still on the ramps.

You can’t trust what anyone says about these cars in terms of parts. I’m not having much luck. Can’t fit the cones front or back, so back to the drawing board. He’s going to put the helper springs in at the front which I got for free after visiting Watson’s engineering and a battery exploded on me (ruining my AvE Cockford Ollie T-shirt nonetheless). Randomly I had one in the glovebox of the derv so I dropped that off so he can machine the hi-los (mini height adjustment part) to accept the smaller central springs.

Ideas in the pipeline include an anti roll bar(s) and a potential coilover conversion at the front... it’s already on coils at the back which was news to me.

Oh and the top arms are buggered too. Need to order them tonight. Fark sakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate the reminder! Stevie’s always been good to me, he’s been working on my cars for years.

Back