• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Hazz's 1971 mental Mini Clubman - JDM B18CR engine

The cones are a harsh mistress, and they demand replacement on occasion. I wish you luck if/when you go back to them.

Heater matrix is gone, see previous weight reduction post. It can only be my bad plumbing. How the fark it got into the footwell is a mystery to me at this point.

The cones are a harsh mistress, and they demand replacement on occasion. I wish you luck if/when you go back to them.

True, but the coilover conversions are brutal and my current cone replacement springs are dogsh1t! Cones certainly have their downfalls but they work!

After much hunting around and staring the car on the driveway IN NEUTRAL I think I’ve found the source of the coolant leak. The IACV of all things. Who’d have thunk it? My own shoddy radiator plumbing was also slightly leaking but not to racehorse standards. So I need a new IACV or at least whip the intake manifold off and have a look, it’s tight AF to the bulkhead so even with the flip front access is an achey sack.

Edit: if a new is IACV required its circa £120 so it might push me down the S300 ECU route and delete the ******* thing. Because weight saving & not daily. Also I have my eye on some streetfighter doors. Stripped, ally skinned with zinc plated structure, OEM steel window frame and ploy windows with sliders... 30kg total saving. Also... the good news pic was a test fit of the arches at the body shop, they should be spot on :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen and felt those doors, they are silly light, I was amazed how little structure there is to them, yet they hold together really well.

VaXXJJF.jpg

Got to work this afternoon on the coolant leak. Deleted the feed to the IACV. I had to take the throttle body off for access... might have to do that part of the job again as I didn’t have a new gasket. Good excuse to buy a thermal one :) wasn’t too bad of a job really, and only a slight spillage of coolant. Winner!

Still waiting on a price and time slot at the Bodyshop :/

Grinspeed booked in for 3.7 final drive, flywheel and clutch. 16th July.

Bodyshop booked in the following Monday 23rd. Quoted £1200 for dent & rust repair, front end repair (split in fibreglass), roof paint, arch paint and fitment and front lip paint.

She'll be looking and driving well in no time :D

Just in time for you to have a handbrake failure and it roll into your nice new garage door.

Oh wait, that's what would happen to me. :lol:

Grinspeed booked in for 3.7 final drive, flywheel and clutch. 16th July.

Bodyshop booked in the following Monday 23rd. Quoted £1200 for dent & rust repair, front end repair (split in fibreglass), roof paint, arch paint and fitment and front lip paint.

She'll be looking and driving well in no time :D

Looking forward to seeing this Hazz maybe even a px drive out

Sure thing Simon :) it’s a giggle!

Took it out for a spin during the first half, roads to myself :D great fun! Tyres aren’t all that, proper squealers. They’ll certainly need an upgrade when the suspension is done. Not much choice for 13s these days though.

It’s also hunting on cold idle. Hopefully that’ll just be my old throttle body gasket leaking a smidge. Takes about 5 minutes to do so no worries there.

Well, I actually ordered them but some Yoko A539s turned up instead. I got a refund for the difference. The A048 isn't road legal anymore :(

I think it is but in very limited sizes; predominantly Lotus sizes as they were/ still are standard issue with some model variants.

Sucks if what you need isn't on the very small E-marked list though.

IIRC it's all started due to interpretation of the MSA blue book, and someone taking the stance that List 1C tyres being not road legal as they're stated on the blue book as "for dry track use".

However, other legal interpretations have taken the stance that provided they're E-marked and have enough tread, then they're fine. About as clear as mud then.

Bloody hell, what a sh1tty day.

Mini went into grinspeed yesterday. First thing was the pinion missing from the final drive. Got into the phone to the supplier and went home. Searched the garage just incase, found a box of parts I’ve stripped off, found pinion in bottom of said box. Rang supplier to apologise.

Box was off this morning, wrong pinion. Long story short, impossible to tell on an s9b gearbox. Ended up picking up the whole gearbox from grinspeed and driving it all the way to Wakefield. No pinions in 3.7 for my gearbox left in stock, 1 month lead time. Other option was 3.4 but the s9b is a long box and it would have been way too long with that final drive ratio.

Guys at Watson’s rally cobbled together a conversion kit consisting of a sleeve to be pressed onto the pinion, a thrust washer to do the job of a missing shoulder, an s80 first gear & a new needle bearing. CBA explaining. It works... hopefully. Took it back to Stevie for assembly. 240miles round trip.

Might have it back by the end of the week or early next. Can’t wait!

8hpdZYQ.jpg

One piece.

Edit: For FARK sake! What is wrong with my imgur?! (Admin edit: the link you pasted pointed to the gallery. You need to paste the specific image link.)

Anyway.. it’s a complex part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back