• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Gearbox oil what are my options

As above i want to change the oil in my ep3 gearbox but iv searched on the net and people have been saying use 75 90 or normal 10w40 engine oil and some say mtf3 so whatare my options for oil
Thanks

Use the MTF-3, it's a good fluid for the Honda gearboxes. The lubricant is I believe a 75/90 GL-4 according to spec. DO NOT use regular engine oil, it's missing a few additives which will likely lead to gearbox failure.

I think the only time I'd outright choose not to use MTF-3 is if I'd fitted a diff which required a different lubricant.

Use the MTF-3, it's a good fluid for the Honda gearboxes. The lubricant is I believe a 75/90 GL-4 according to spec. DO NOT use regular engine oil, it's missing a few additives which will likely lead to gearbox failure.

I think the only time I'd outright choose not to use MTF-3 is if I'd fitted a diff which required a different lubricant.
Yeah I had to use Torco MTF after having the LSD fitted.

You can use Honda mtf with a LSD as I have been using for the last 2 years although i do change the gearbox oil every year. Now it does state on Tegiwa website unless you use torco it will invalidate the warranty this is not true as I contacted Mfactory to ask them.
Hi Simon,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Although it is stated on the Tegiwa website that it will invalidate the warranty, we will continue to honor it without any issue should you have any problems with the differential.

The only fluids approved for use with our differential is the Honda MTF, Torco MTF/RTF, Amsoil MTF, Redline MTL and conventional NON synthetic Engine oil in 10W30 weight.*
Which actual fluid to use depends on your application and what type of driving/racing you do.*
If you prone to do at least one or two events per month, you will be required to change the fluid if you use anything other than the RTF/Amsoil/Redline as all others will break down far too quickly due to heat.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Patrick Seto - General Manager
-------------------------------------------------
MFactory Competition Products

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

You can use Honda mtf with a LSD as I have been using for the last 2 years although i do change the gearbox oil every year. Now it does state on Tegiwa website unless you use torco it will invalidate the warranty this is not true as I contacted Mfactory to ask them.
Hi Simon,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Although it is stated on the Tegiwa website that it will invalidate the warranty, we will continue to honor it without any issue should you have any problems with the differential.

The only fluids approved for use with our differential is the Honda MTF, Torco MTF/RTF, Amsoil MTF, Redline MTL and conventional NON synthetic Engine oil in 10W30 weight.*
Which actual fluid to use depends on your application and what type of driving/racing you do.*
If you prone to do at least one or two events per month, you will be required to change the fluid if you use anything other than the RTF/Amsoil/Redline as all others will break down far too quickly due to heat.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Patrick Seto - General Manager
-------------------------------------------------
MFactory Competition Products

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

That's really good to know!

I had to run Kaaz oil when my diff went in for the breaking in period. It was pretty crap, couldn't get the car into gear when cold etc. Now running MTF with additive and it's silky smooth again.

I had to run Kaaz oil when my diff went in for the breaking in period. It was pretty crap, couldn't get the car into gear when cold etc. Now running MTF with additive and it's silky smooth again.

Which additive did you use?

Helical diffs don't really require different oil. It basically uses the same components (gears) internally but arranged differently.
Plated diff however has a clutch pack and oil not designed to work with a wet clutch will cause issues with how it reacts. You'll also need to change the fluid more frequently with a plated diff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back