• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

What oil for a track day

As above my car is due a oil change so I'm doing it Saturday but its going on track Sunday so what is the best grade to use for the one day coz I dont mind changing it again no day if its too thick for everyday driving I just dont want to ruin the engine
Thanks

Fuchs Titan is excellent for road and track, and relatively cheap too. I change mine every 5k and never had an engine issue, even with very hard track use and 9k rpm.

Shouldn't need to use a thicker grade for track. 5w40 in a decent brand will do. If you have issues with excessive oil temperatures then you need to invest in an oil cooler, not thicker oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I don't understand the 'hype' with the shortened filters...

They are supposed to increase oil pressure by 3-4 psi (no idea how true this is)

I'm sure the smaller filters were designed to be used in different models where space is limited

They are supposed to increase oil pressure by 3-4 psi (no idea how true this is)

I'm sure the smaller filters were designed to be used in different models where space is limited

Ah right, but how does that benefit the engine under the extra strain? Sorry if it's a silly question.

I thought the reason for the short filters was to compensate for lower oil pressure due to increased oil temps, I had no idea people associated higher oil pressure with more power. Higher oil pressure often means lower performance due to an overly thick oil being used.

As for what filter brand to use, take your pick. Hamp are our most popular ones for Hondas and they are very well proven, but the Mahle filters are cheaper and very popular. I don't know who makes the Hamp filters for them, I have been told they are re-branded Mahle ones, but I can't confirm that. We sell a lot of Mahle filters (I think last year it was something like 140,000 and we are selling more this year) and have no quality issues at all. K&N are also popular and we have just started selling Bosch as well. I've used Bosch in the past and never had any problems with them.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-840-filters-oil-air-induction-fuel-cabin.aspx

A 5w-40 is ideal for road and track use.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT+, Motul Sport/300V, Red Line and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XF Longlife, Castrol Edge/Magnatec, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

It depends on what oil you use. Some people think it's best to use a budget oil and change it every track session, but to me, that's not a good plan as it won't protect as well and costs more in the long run than using a quality oil and changing it every few track days. The top end ester oils are fine for 10 hours of track use (they have also been used for 24hr racing with no issues), so no need to change after a track day. We still have customers who change the oil after every track session, even with a top end oil (and me, the guy who is selling it, saying they don't need to change it as often as that).

Cheers

Tim

Even our track car didn't get an oil change until it had been 12 months, basically still clean when it came out!

It's a waste of money changing sooner than standard drain intervals unless you're doing a load of track days or racing. Even then 6000 miles/6 months is fine. Key is if you drive the car on the road as it will burn off fuel that's the oil as obviously trailered cars don't get this opportunity. Ester is a load of nonsense as well, it's purely marketing and that's what people who work for Shell, Castrol etc tell me.

That's fine, they can tell you that (odd that people at Castrol tell you that and then they use it themselves), but we find that ester oils can make a big difference.

What difference? Your profit margins? :lol:

Any actual data to back up these claims?

More like highly tuned track cars needing a rebuild every season with normal oils, or a rebuild every 3-4 seasons with an ester based oil. Cars losing all their oil, but not suffering any real damage as there is still a layer of oil in place with an ester oil. Engines running a few degrees cooler with an ester oil due to less friction.

As for profits, we probably make more percentage-wise on basic oils and I'm not on commission, so I don't really look at the mark up.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Back