• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

What oil for a track day

The profit comment was tongue in cheek.

Your scenario is pretty extreme, I highly doubt anyone in this thread is using a built race engine. Is there publicly viewable data between the exact same engine running an ester based oil compared to a non ester based good quality synthetic oil over the same period of time?

BMW probably test engine oils harder than most manufacturers, even on M cars you don't need an ester based oil in order to meet their specifications.

Interesting that you mention BMW, the reason the Castrol Edge (now Castrol Supercar) 10w-60 was recommended for the M cars is because that has an ester content. The ester content of oils help the VANOS systems as they cling to the workings, so you don't get the wear on cold starts which is what seems to kill the VANOS system. Now Shell are supplying BMW, I'm not sure what they are using in the E46 etc M cars as the Shell 10w-60 is not an ester oil and I had been told that BMW have not approved it for M use.

I can't think of any comparable data for normal synthetics and ester oils. I think the problem would be justifying the cost of the test as it would have to be done properly to make the results worthwhile and ester oils are a pretty small part of the market.

Cheers

Tim

Back