• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Parting with my modified FN2 for a FK2

I've had my 2007 FN2 since 2009, even though it was my second Type R after a 2002 EP3 its the car which got me into the Honda scene and modifying and before my son arrived I had some great adventures in the car, like going to Spa, meets downs south etc. and I've met people I'm still mates with now.

Over the years my FN2 went from being a standard car to being heavily modified and although I've not done a great deal with it in recent years due to having a family and not having as much time (or money) I've kept it clean and in decent condition.

The car is getting on a bit now and while I still love the drive home from work down the amazing B roads we've got in North Yorkshire. The car isn't the most comfortable or practicable anymore. Its noisy, the suspension is harsh and the gearing (I changed the final drive) tedious on long journeys.

I've liked the FK2 every since the first prototype and having driven one theres no denying its unbelievably quick and extremely capable, but for me it lacked the excitement of my FN2 with its 8900 RPM redline. But its got 4 doors (my son is still in a car seat) its not particularly loud and the suspension isn't as harsh. I've no doubt it would lay waste to my FN2 in a straight line and around any track and I prefer the styling to the new one thats coming out (I hate the rear end on that car)

Due to pressure from Mrs.R555 I've ended up putting a deposit down on an FK2 (in blue) and I've listed my FN2 on eBay but I don't have that excitement I should have over getting a new car, in fact I almost feel sad that my FN will be going.

I will still have my EK9 if I ever want to get that old school VTEC buzz but I've sank so much into my FN2 (money and time)

I know with modifying you never get back what you put in finanicaly (I must have spent about £30K on my FN over the years) but the £4000 trade in almost makes it seem not worth while and selling private is such a chew - I'm already getting stupid offers from my eBay listing and the Mrs won't let me keep it as she thinks having 3 Hondas is stupid!

Has anyone else parted with there FN2 for an FK2 and regretted it??

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, never should have sold my cw to get the FK2. My circumstances might be different to you though.

Buy something nice and comfy for running the family round with the difference that you would be spending on the FK2. Nice as it is, there are better family hacks if that is all your motivation is.

Yep, never should have sold my cw to get the FK2. My circumstances might be different to you though.

Buy something nice and comfy for running the family round with the difference that you would be spending on the FK2. Nice as it is, there are better family hacks if that is all your motivation is.

I keep trying to get my Mrs to get something nice and comfy and use that as our family car but she's a pretty terrible driver and finds her Abarth 500 difficult to park! Can't see her manage with something like an S4

I can't see her doing much better parking an FK2 then bud, being really honest.

In her no doubt extensive automotive experience and infallible female understanding of both the cost of a modified car and the 2nd hand car market, does she appreciate how much you stand to loose (mods, memories, peace of mind that you know your car has been well looked after and maintained and has been reliable for years)? Does she appreciate that you're probably going to do it all again with an FK2 at some considerable cost? :lol:

If she can't park a fiat I wouldn't let her anywhere near one of these!

buy a quashqui or what ever it is called. Add parking sensors and be done with it.

Keep the FN.

In her no doubt extensive automotive experience and infallible female understanding of both the cost of a modified car and the 2nd hand car market, does she appreciate how much you stand to loose (mods, memories, peace of mind that you know your car has been well looked after and maintained and has been reliable for years)? Does she appreciate that you're probably going to do it all again with an FK2 at some considerable cost? :lol:

If she can't park a fiat I wouldn't let her anywhere near one of these!

haha It sounds like you've met my wife!!!

I'm actually not sure I'd do the modification thing again! I'm 40 now and while I loved it all when I was younger I guess I've just grown up now and have more trust in Hondas engineers. :)

buy a quashqui or what ever it is called. Add parking sensors and be done with it.

Keep the FN.

Thats maybe what I should do, she wants rid of her Fiat but was talking about wanting so stupid BMW electric car.

Bit of an update.

I've found an FK2 at Honda in Roachdale but it's a shed! The worst condition newish car I have ever seen, all 4 wheels damaged, front spoiler scuffed, bonnet all stone chipped, Type R badges on the mats look like someone has rubbed them down with aluminium oxide paper. It's a Nov 2016 car with 7k miles on it, so why am I buying it? Well it's within my budget and Honda Roachdale have agreed to do all the work to it.

Also found a buyer for my FN2

You've really sold it.

If it has been cared for in such a respectful way, just imagine how it has been driven.

It would have to be the deal of the century and even then it would only be a short termer rather than a keeper.

You've really sold it.

If it has been cared for in such a respectful way, just imagine how it has been driven.

It would have to be the deal of the century and even then it would only be a short termer rather than a keeper.

I had to let it go, couldn't afforr to keep both, just storing it would have cost me an additional £80 a month as I've no space at home, it was when I worked out I've spent £4800 on storing my EK9 I decided I couldn't also keep the FN2.

The FK2 was Rochdale sales managers car and the ex demonstrator; I've no doubt it's had a hard 7k miles but at £24900 it was by far the cheapest car available for its year and I'm hoping all the cosmetic damage is fixed to a decent standard.

I'd looked at 5 FK2's around the north and none were perfect, all had wheel damage and stone chips. I looked at one in Colne - east Lancashire car sales that was wrecked. Rochdales is a Honda approved used car so hopefully once sorted it'll be decent.

Another update:

Swansway Honda after previously agreeing to replace the scrapped front spoiler have done a repair (painted it) so I'm really not happy as the finish isn't painted originally and I have my doubts over the durability of a painted finish.

Its annoying as I emailed them a list of faults and said I wouldn't proceed unless they were sorted and I was told each one will be taken care of and I actually said I didn't want the front spoiler painted.

The salesman response was its painted - if your not happy we'll refund your deposit.

The service there is rubbish, they have never returned any of my calls since I put the deposit down 3 weeks ago and I still don't know when the car will actually be ready.

This is what the salesman said:

Good morning David,

The front spoiler has not been replaced and has been repaired to a high standard as you would expect. If this is not to your satisfaction and wish to cancel the order I will arrange a full refund of any deposit paid by yourself. Please advise by return.

Kind regards,
Stuart

and this was my original email to them:

Laura,

I popped in yesterday and viewed the Civic Type R.

I’ve got to say when I saw it my heart sank as it was far from the mint condition you stated, it looked like the previous owner hadn't remotely looked after it.

Every single wheel had some sort of damage / chip. The passenger side was badly damaged with a chunk out of the tire that would fail an MOT - judging by the damage I’d assume the tracking / suspension geometry must be out.

The Front spoiler was badly scraped.

The bonnet / front bumper was chipped

The car had a lot of scratches.

I’ve got a 2007 Civic Type R thats in better condition.

The car was locked so I couldn’t look inside, but Im guessing its not going to be mint either.

Overall I was very disappointed. I spoke to your manager and he assures me everything will be put right but I’ve read some negative reviews of your dealership online and I’m concerned that I travel the two hours to pick the car up and its not up to standard.

My concern is that the car is repaired to a quick / poor standard just to get it sold. The front spoiler for example I don’t think I would be happy if that was just painted over as the paint wont be as durable as the original factory finish. This would have to be a new.

The front tire would have to be replaced with a like for like (Continental Sport Contact 6) and not some cheap brand replacement.

The suspension geometry / tracking would need to be checked to verify everything is still within factory tolerances

The badly damaged wheel would need to be professionally redone and not just some cheap smart repair (as it’ll be difficult for me to bring it back due to the distances involved should the finish not be durable - paint bubble etc)

The other stone chipped damaged wheels would need to be repaired

The chips and scratches on the bodywork would need to be fixed.

As I said I couldn’t see inside so can’t comment on the interior, all I could see was the Type R badge on the mats looked all scrapped, again I’ve got similar mats in my 2007 Civic Type R with no scrapes so it makes me wonder what the person thats been using the car has been doing with it!

To summarise the following needs doing:

Replacement front spoiler
New Continental Sport Contact 6 Tire
Suspension geometry checked
Passenger wheel professional repaired
Other 3 wheels repaired
Stone Chips fixed on bumper and bonnet
Scratches removed
Replacement front mats

Can you either confirm all of the above will be done or refund my deposit in full.

Thanks

David

Deposit back time then. Plenty out there for sale and you are not in any rush are you?

I think your right Loxy.

The guy that's buying mine is in a bit of a rush, he's already waited 3 weeks so I'm going to see what I can find tomorrow.

Revitup have one but nearly 20k mileage for similar money.

For the price from what you described I'd be getting my deposit back.

Back