• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Vtec Flat Spot

When accelerating and hitting Vtec at around 6000 there seems to be a flat spot up until 7000. When I hit 7k the car pulls really hard like it should. The spot between 6 and 7k almost seems as though the car is hesitating.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

What's the mileage? Due a service? Any mods? EML on?

What's the mileage? Due a service? Any mods? EML on?
73K, had oil and filter 4K ago. I'm going to check the spark plugs and valve clearances when I can. No mods except a 5Zigen Catback.

Vtec engages fine, you can feel and hear the crossover. However the needle doesn't seem smooth from 6-7k.

75k is when the fuel filter needs doing, and plugs. Clearances is every 25k.

Just in case you hadn't looked it up.

Cat-backs can cause a flat spot or a bit if hesitation but it's usually around 4k.

75k is when the fuel filter needs doing, and plugs. Clearances is every 25k.

Just in case you hadn't looked it up.

Cat-backs can cause a flat spot or a bit if hesitation but it's usually around 4k.
Yeah I was planning to do the 75k service interval soon. It's been doing it for around 4k miles but it wasn't until someone else had driven the car they noticed as I thought it was normal. It just doesn't seem to pull as hard as it should.

The car is otherwise perfectly fine, off Vtec it's smooth and above 7k it pulls as it should.

Oil level up to max I'm assuming?
Yes mate, oil is checked every week. To be honest I think it needs a good service. I don't have any of the history from Japan. So I'm just going to do the 75K service and go from there.

Yes mate, oil is checked every week. To be honest I think it needs a good service. I don't have any of the history from Japan. So I'm just going to do the 75K service and go from there.

Any updates on this?
I'm having exact same problems on mine at 6k rpm, vtec hesitates, so does the rpm needle seems to jump around between 6-7k rpm, I can also hear the crossover but the car stops accelerating but will eventually go all the way to redline after a few seconds.
mines had a full service, oil, filter, plugs etc only about 5 weeks ago.
I also changed the vtec solenoid to a brand new one, but still its exactly the same.

Any updates on this?
I'm having exact same problems on mine at 6k rpm, vtec hesitates, so does the rpm needle seems to jump around between 6-7k rpm, I can also hear the crossover but the car stops accelerating but will eventually go all the way to redline after a few seconds.
I also changed the vtec solenoid to a brand new one, but still its exactly the same.
No mate I haven't even started anything on mine yet. I'm taking mine on a rolling road to look at AFR's after my service.

Any updates on this?
Check the fuel filter and timing.

Check the fuel filter and timing.
Cheers Loxy will do mate.
Sort of taken the fun away from driving the car, VTEC is what makes the car what it is. Without it just feels like a big standard 2L NA car lol, can't overtake anymore :(

I had valve clearances done at TDI last month and the problem started after that, all I noticed a week later.
I'm getting it back to TDI so they can check it over but they're still going to charge me for this.

Cheers Loxy will do mate.
Sort of taken the fun away from driving the car, VTEC is what makes the car what it is. Without it just feels like a big standard 2L NA car lol, can't overtake anymore :(

I had valve clearances done at TDI last month and the problem started after that, all I noticed a week later.
I'm getting it back to TDI so they can check it over but they're still going to charge me for this.
Mine isn't this serious, mine's only a really small hesitation. The car still feels quick and no problem overtaking etc. It just feels like it should pull harder between 6 and 7k.

Could the knock sensor cause this issue? Could it be faulty and just retarding the ignition and not throwing a light?

Back