• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Changing the final drive ratio

Hi,

I have no meaningful modifications but I am considering changing the final drive ratio to 5.1. My questions:

* Without other modifications am I wasting my time?
* Realistically, what are the losses with going to 5.1? Top speed? RPM @ 100kph, 150kph etc?
* Are there bona-fide sources of OEM 5.1 ratios available?

If you want a strengthened product you'll be after a 5.1 final drive from either Spoon or J's Racing (if you want Japanese) or from M.Factory (if you want British). If you want to spend less then I believe the final drive from a Honda CR-V is 5.1 and compatible.

Without accompanying modifications it won't reap you with too many benefits, but you will accelerate quicker. Whilst you're there, an upgraded clutch and lightened flywheel are worth considering too.

Can't remember specific RPM's at specific speeds, but when I had my Spoon 5.1 fitted to my EP3 I would sit at 71mph at 4,000rpm and top speed was reduced by roughly 12mph.

I'm pretty sure the 5.1 final drive from spoon is identical to the genuine Honda final drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FN2 has the 5.1. That's how they managed to get a heavier car with the same power as the EP3 to keep a similar 0-60.

I have the 5.1 but I changed my 6th gear ratio for one from an Accord Type S which keeps the revs a little lower than standard.

I went with a 5.1 Final drive while I was having the diff fitted, the difference is noticeable, but can't wait until I have the car mapped along with supporting mods!

I went with a 5.1 Final drive while I was having the diff fitted, the difference is noticeable, but can't wait until I have the car mapped along with supporting mods!

Noticeably huge or meh?

I don't want to get into crazy mods (already got a project car) but still interested in doing something like this.

Big difference for me in my DC5 between standard (4.9 IIRC) and 5.3

I kind of regret doing the 5.1 in my EP3. Don't think I really need it now with the s/c. Before with N/A was fine.

I kind of regret doing the 5.1 in my EP3. Don't think I really need it now with the s/c. Before with N/A was fine.

My brother and I were having this debate, changing gear ratios and boosting an EP3. I think N/A it's very worth while but with boost it's too short and would probably spin up more?

Only if your driving/ the road conditions/ the tyres you have fitted aren't ideal. Dry road and good tyres so traction is good, why wouldn't you want to accelerate faster? Charged or not.

Only if your driving/ the road conditions/ the tyres you have fitted aren't ideal. Dry road and good tyres so traction is good, why wouldn't you want to accelerate faster? Charged or not.

There is the downside to having higher gearing too.

Back