• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Type R Rivals

Just moved away from a Meg RS....which was a brilliant car. Only moved away for a change. I'll see how the FK8 compares as I go along.......

I would think that could be a very rare car considering it's being priced squarely at the CTR/RS price bracket and how many people would pick a Hyundai over one of those.
I have noticed other people and even areas of the press where this car is being compared with the Type R, but it is simply not in the same class. :eek:
The i30N comes in 2 power outputs of 247 and 271BHP costing 25 and 28 grand respectively.
This in no way puts it in Type R or RS class for either power or price.
The i30N's chief rival is the Focus ST, and being very familiar with all aspects of it I would have no hesitation in choosing the latter. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
CAR magazine has a big group test of all the contenders this month - Hot Hatch of the Year 2018 including the new Megane, and a 3 way back to back between the CTR, Megane and Golf R PP.
no spoilers but both well worth a read.

I have noticed other people and even areas of the press where this car is being compared with the Type R, but it is simply not in the same class. :eek:
The i30N comes in 2 power outputs of 247 and 271BHP costing 25 and 28 grand respectively.
This in no way puts it in Type R or RS class for either power or price.
The i30N's chief rival is the Focus ST, and being very familiar with all aspects of it I would have no hesitation in choosing the latter. :)

Very familiar with the Focus -but not the i30N. Every piece I've seen has nothing but high praise for the Hyundai. it's got a little less power than the heaviest hitters but didn't stop the RS Megane from handing out a beating to everything that came along - up to the FK8 certainly, Focus RS, AMG 45 140i incuded. it is not all about power.

Very familiar with the Focus -but not the i30N. Every piece I've seen has nothing but high praise for the Hyundai. it's got a little less power than the heaviest hitters but didn't stop the RS Megane from handing out a beating to everything that came along - up to the FK8 certainly, Focus RS, AMG 45 140i incuded. it is not all about power.

It's a great car

Back