• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Type R Rivals

Hi all,

Just thought I'd gauge some interest, in what people think about the Type R's rivals (focusing more on FK2/FK8 ) - has anyone moved on from a type R to the likes of a Golf GTI/R, Focus ST/RS, Megane RS, AMG, etc? Or perhaps the other way around?

I know all cars have their good/bad points and even though I bought an FK2 last year, I do wish I'd test driven or gone out in a Focus RS / Golf R just to see how they compare.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Ash

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think that cars like the golf R and new focus RS look so bland and normal.
I know on paper that there great cars but just lack the in your face styling that the FK2 has.
I will be looking for a 2011 R35 GTR for my next toy.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I personally think that cars like the golf R and new focus RS look so bland and normal.
I know on paper that there great cars but just lack the in your face styling that the FK2 has.

They also don't look as much fun to drive either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you taken a serious look at running costs? Because they are horrific. I earn well, there's absolutely no way I'd consider running a GTR.

It IS impossible to use a GTR as a daily. There is a load, well 12 at my last count, of GTR's in my local area. They only ever come out for shows/cruises/weekend drives etc. Far too expensive to run for more than a few thousand miles per annum.

You are looking at £750 for pads and brake fluid change..
nearer 3k with disks
mandatory sevices every 6 months..

Was chatting to a guy with a GTR at Japfest earlier this year, he said if they go wrong you've had it - not much change from 20k if you need a gearbox rebuild... but it's ok, it only costs him £200 a week in fuel driving to/from London :lol: :eek:

I had a focus RS on order when the first batch arrived in the country one of which was my brothers, having driven it numerous times I eventually cancelled the order after having two test drives of the type r. On the second occasion I had it home and compaired both side by side.

I preferred the civic interior, the way the boost was delivered and all the extras it has over the RS. Boot was also tiny but not as small as the A45 amg I test drove, this was a major factor as we have two young kids, the icandy pram frame wouldn't even fit in the A45, the civic has much more room for passengers also, lack of 5 belts a pain.

As for driving, loved the interior, paddles and crackle on gear changes on the A45 but didn't feel as fast as the civic.The focus was great on my local single track roads punching out of corners better than even my evo/sti but on normal A and B roads didn't feel anything special and with the worst interior of all 3 I couldn't live with it as a family car. Civic had the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in.

Servicing etc was a bargain on the civic with service plan, Mercedes were quoting more for a major service than Honda were for 5 years.

I do miss the 4wd on damp roads but don't really get the chance to drive hard with kids, on a dry road or a long journey I'd take the civic over the focus.
For reference the civic would gain a car length or two on the focus once rolling but after my brothers mountune filter and remap the focus would be pretty much identical to my civic with itg panel filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is looking promising. I like how ever manufacturers hot hatch has to have a niche now....

Type R, wild, fastest front wheel drive.
RS - affordable, wild, 4WD.
Golf R - discreet, 4WD, Fast.
AMG - expensive, exclusive.

Megane - 4 wheel steer :lol:
I have no doubt it'll be a stunningly fast car, and it'll come in yellow. My favourite colour.

That is looking promising. I like how ever manufacturers hot hatch has to have a niche now....

Type R, wild, fastest front wheel drive.
RS - affordable, wild, 4WD.
Golf R - discreet, 4WD, Fast.
AMG - expensive, exclusive.

Megane - 4 wheel steer :lol:
I have no doubt it'll be a stunningly fast car, and it'll come in yellow. My favourite colour.

I'll add the Hyundai i30 N

I'll add the Hyundai i30 N
I would think that could be a very rare car considering it's being priced squarely at the CTR/RS price bracket and how many people would pick a Hyundai over one of those.
Hyundais aren't bad cars, my wife has an i30 now and it's ok, but it's a huge leap from what the i30 is on the market currently to the hot hatch market.

Can you picture the new 1.8 litre Megane RS (cup chassis) beating the FK8 round the Nurburgring?! I kind of hope it does, but i can't imagine it will. Renault will definitely try.

Driven my mates Golf R a few times. One thing I do know is I'll never buy a performance car with DSG or the alike.

Yes, it's very quick. But I just didn't find it fun not having a clutch and manual gearbox.

My mate with a Golf R, swears blind he would never buy a car without DSG now. I'm of the opinion a manual is more fun, maybe slower, but more fun.

He's completely VAG brainwashed though. He won't buy anything else, he's in his 7th Golf, and countless other VAG cars.
He freely admits he prefers my Type R, to look at and to drive, but couldn't see himself buying one. For no other reason than its not VAG. Brainwashed i tell ya.

By 2040 nobody will be able to buy a manual anyway so we'd better get used to it i guess....

Back