• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Chris' Blue FD2 Track Car

I'll have to see how tomorrow goes, but I do think I could get away with 235 at the front.

Castle Combe was today. I didn't spin, didn't crash, surprised a few Porsches, the car isn't broken and I'm home in one piece.

No rubbing which is great, although I think the tyres aren't performing as well as they can as they're a little stretched onto the rim. I need to play with the pressures and suspension to get a decent balance.

The Meister R's are really good, very comfy and compliant on the road, yet very stiff on track with the dampers turned up. That said, I think perhaps the OEM suspension is on par if not better. But then again I've put stupid wheels on it since so that could be a factor.

The brakes were immense, no issues at all save for a few deposits on them now which started to clean up on the way home.

0296.jpg

The guy said he didn't think I was faster than him so he didn't move. I said just because you're driving a Porsche doesn't mean the rules don't apply to you. He just looked at me blankly with a confused look on his face.

Porsches are always in the way! Glad the car seemed to perform well!

Did you literally just turn the damping as high as it goes?

What pressure do you usually start off with when cold/cool? We seem to do okay around 24/25psi at the start of the day then might check them if the car doesn't feel right.

Porsches are always in the way! Glad the car seemed to perform well!

Did you literally just turn the damping as high as it goes?

What pressure do you usually start off with when cold/cool? We seem to do okay around 24/25psi at the start of the day then might check them if the car doesn't feel right.

I initially put damping to 7 from max front and rear and ended the day at 3 from full. There was no movement at the back, which while nice and stable it was ruining the adjustment during cornering. I think I'm going to fit the 245 tyres to the front for Spa and take 225 with me in case I need to change. On the OEM suspension and 17's I had the ability to steer the car with the throttle, that seems to have gone now sadly.

I normally go out on road pressures for the first session and then drop as required. Due to the tyres having an ever so slight stretch on them due to the 8.5J rim I found I had to run close to 35 hot on the front to increase turn in and grip.

My Blue FD2

Late update here but I did a few things to the car last weekend. First of I fitted the replacement boot trim Kev imported for me. It wasn’t in the greatest condition but it’s better than non at all and of course the old oil covered one!

5d6684c3aba0286456f5c706df23b0a3.jpg

Next job was to fit the facelift rear lights. They’re more angular than the pre facelift ones, I think they are much more modern and they also suit the shape of the car better.

Before:

5975fc49144c870ce41841eea0d63ada.jpg

After:

666f1edaffdbe7ca4c558e8772dbfa20.jpg

ada52f8e2cff9e63c7a6ea05d7134c7a.jpg

You have to remove the rear bumper to fit them so while it was off I cleaned underneath.

Bit dirty before!

bce2bf0e9c55366e74ee1cd4f2aa0fec.jpg

Wasn’t the best effort as the next time I will probably seal it all up but it’s better then it was.

2385a8bf2687b4b2df82cca1e981581d.jpg

c899499288c1a1306eb56684dc02fa4d.jpg

I was happy that there wasn’t huge patches of rust or any evidence of rear end damage.

The final job was to replace the drop links. The car used to be silent over bumps but since the GT1’s went on it rattles a little over bumps, more evident at slow speed. I spoke to Jerrick and he suggested either the top locking nut needs tightening or the drop links are on their way out. I’ve already tried the nuts so I decided to order replacement drop links. Honda wanted about £250 for all four and a long wait of about 6 months, so I went with Hardrace and a 10 day wait.

The old ones had to be cut off, other than that not too bad a job.

fd32b56e8bd08e15dd5cc4c1a5abc748.jpg

010a085a85e3c8272d53d4fb3a600ea8.jpg

7d524f2381942e7b1b8d7dcd52fb52c9.jpg

Obligatory brew before the next task which was the fronts. Much easier to cut off as we just removed the roll bar and the first two came off with regular tools thankfully.

Sadly the car is still noisy, if anything it’s a bit louder. So I think I’ll have a look over and then speak to Jerrick and see what he says. I really hope it’s not the suspension but the car was silent before so I don’t see what else it could be.

Currently at Folkestone, ‘Ring and Spa over the next week. Fingers crossed no issues arise.

Whoever invented drop links with that stupid way of removing them is due a special place in hell!! I don’t think I’ve ever removed an OEM drop link without the use of cutting tools. At the HR ones have a nut on them to use when removing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a set of Meister R coilovers on my 4wd starlet turbo and I wasn't impressed with them tbh mate. I was always having to mess about with them and all the paint came off the springs in no time at all even though the car didn't do a lot of road miles. If it was me I would be sticking with the oem dampers.

I’ve not seen those rear light clusters before, they look much better though. Have a good trip!

I like the lights, but can't help the clear parts need to be coloured, Red, maybe just lightly smoked?

Surprising to hear that about the GT1s, perhaps they are just meant to be louder? I can only imagine what the lesser models are going to be like in that case...

I'm really surprised there's no rear crash bar on the FD2, looks like guaranteed woe if someone hits you hard enough to compress the plastic :(

Rear lights are looking awesome though.

Back