• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Chris' Blue FD2 Track Car

Very true.

Also forgot to mention that the gearshift is sublime, even better than I remember the S2000 being. Shame the clutch is tired though as high rpm changes are hard work. New one going in soon though.

Nice car Chris.

I had considered getting an FD before the Lotus as I did want something 4 seater. Would have been nice to get hold of the RR version that BHP had imported. Didn't have the cash ready at that point though.

I still think the FD is one of the best Type R's made so far. :cool:

Very nice! Love the colour too! Glad to hear some bits from the DC5 will make it over, makes life a bit easier!

I've done two long trips in this now, Devon and back and then JAE and back. Both were mainly sat between 70 and 80 with occasional use of VTEC. Both times I measured 37 mpg which I'm really impressed with considering it's on the standard map still. If I drove like a daisy for the whole tank I'm fairly confident I could get it over 40 mpg.

Few updates. The car has been at TGM and had the following done:

- fit Kaaz plated diff
- new clutch
- new gear oil
- new engine oil
- fit Mugen airbox
- fit decat
- fit Feel's exhaust
- fit AD08R tyres
- RBF 600 brake fluid

Unfortunately it is more complicated than originally thought to fit my DC5 brake kit. I'd have to get new bells and rotors, machine the caliper and also get new brackets made up. So for the time being I've fitted my favorite pad (tongue in cheek) DS2500's. Because I love them so much, I've ordered some PBS pads to use at Spa and the DS2500's will be a spare along with the PMU's that Mark had fitted. I'm going to see how they behave on track before deciding to spend north of £3k for an Alcon kit.

Annoyingly the Ohlins haven't arrived, so I may have to do Spa on the OEM suspension. Apparently it's fine on track so I'll have to see. Also the diff now clunks a lot, even though it was whisper silent in the DC5. Tom thinks another gearbox oil change may cure this, so should the Ohlins turn up this week, I'll change the oil again. It's embarrassing to drive now at low speed as it sounds broken but part of me quite likes it. :lol:

I love the noise of the intake and exhaust, much nicer than OEM, subtle with no boom and howls high up the rev range. Fingers crossed I shouldn't get any noise issues on track. Complete with the new clutch, diff and decent tyres, it's transformed the car. It's so much nicer to drive, grips even more and has a bit of noise to it.

I picked the car up on Friday, drove it home, then drove to EFI Parts on Saturday to have it mapped. Unfortunately the problems didn't stop there. Chris explained that he can't map the car properly as it's behaving really weird. First off, on the standard map it was hard to do a full run because it was knocking a lot so reining in the power. It was even knocking at part throttle. He tried another base map which was better, but still a bit of knock going on. He then started tuning it part throttle and then finding the optimum VTEC point but no runs were consistent. He'd spot a lean part in the RPM range, add fuel, run it again and it would be fine, then a few runs later it'd be rich or lean again. He couldn't work out why because inlet pressure, fuel, AFR, cam angle etc were all consistent. Basically every input he could see was not changing, yet the power would vary by 5bhp at peak and much more in the lower rev range. Because of this and some knock, he couldn't extract much more power than standard because he wasn't comfortable advancing the ignition with the car seemingly behaving so randomly. We had a chat and suspect either the decat or exhaust are causing this because that's the only thing he can't monitor: back pressure. The decat is a cheap one that's been custom made and I've read of some exhausts on DC5's causing issues with power so part of me is tempted to order a Toda decat and Toda exhaust or RM01A and then go back to get it mapped again. Credit to Chris though, he walked me through every part, said he's tuned it on the safe side and then gave me significant discount because he didn't feel comfortable charging me for half a job. I'd wager a lot of other tuners would have said nothing and just handed the car back.

The end result is peak power has risen from 220 to 230 and I have lower VTEC point and much more mid range. I'm going to see how Spa goes before deciding what to do. It will be interesting to see how the straight line performance is compared to similar cars I'm going with.

Sounds like a bit of a saga in parts but at least a big chunk of the work has been done and that you're enjoying the car more! :)

Yeah, only a few bits left and it will be where I want it. Currently waiting on a quote from TGM on a 355mm 6 pot kit from Brembo.

Long overdue update. I went to Spa and the Ring last month and had a brilliant time as usual. The car was a proper animal on track, carrying silly amounts of corner speed and turn in is stupendously good. Everyone that tried driving the car at Spa couldn’t believe it’s still on standard suspension. The only issue I had was with the brakes later on the day as the DS2500 left deposits all over the discs which made it horrible when heavy breaking, but I knew that would happen. Hopefully I'll never have to use them again as they're turd on track.

512adaae3cd406b18a22ca8969d1d8e1.jpg

802b24934db427d12560fc4a649c1e3a.jpg

593f96a2cfc8c2fae5a7b27a13b5b26f.jpg

Yeah, it was a bit wet in the morning!

Then onto the Ring where the usual beer and food shenanigans occurred. Did two laps only as I don’t really like driving the Ring anymore, I do it more for the experience rather than pushing it like I would on a circuit with lots of run off.

Did a Scoob though. :D

b8d7db1d29a278e368643a67c4ba76ff.jpg

2742b3fec3f627f317f290c28f5867b1.jpg

Those who haven’t joined us must come over in April.

I’ve decided against the Ohlins for now and I’ve put that money on brakes. Will reveal all soon.

Yesterday I swapped over the Feels exhaust for a Toda as well as replacing the custom decat pipe with a Toda one. I’m not 100% sure the mid pipe is Feels which may be why I had issues on the dyno.

c089c0231e5a15a4b8c165e375e1f34c.jpg

4bcfdb053f37ee2ac6391a3409a043b5.jpg

e692a8a74f4da6e3089a9b1df4ecb115.jpg

e961299093207f6bb711619eb66bb8c9.jpg

03ad32e64947d1d24190f1e6cc8af426.jpg

Excuse the dirty car, I’ve been at a different client this week so have been commuting over country roads.

I knew before the Spa/Ring visit that the rear discs were in need of replacement so while my mate was changing the exhaust over I did the rear discs.

60690deed12eeb6648cb2747c6ee2f20.jpg

9c937f29087039bc7210c28d5e290f46.jpg

Next up will be new wheels and brakes followed by booking into EFI again for another remap.

Got to say that Toda exhaust was the best fitting off the shelf system I've ever seen. Especially as no getting at all.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

The ones off my DC5 have sold, getting something slightly different. Need to speak to TGM actually.

Exhaust change has paid dividends. Before and after runs, no change but the exhaust. Didn’t even need a tweak.

8daa96848b7bad579f06a09c49601bed.jpg

Not sure if I have mentioned it but I have cancelled the Ohlins order for now and the money is going into upgrading the brakes. The standard suspension is more than capable on track for now.

This is the kit I’m looking at:

127a5675b9a71b0bd14d251ad0f1c189.jpg

Brembo 6 pot with 355mm disc.

Back