• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

CTR 2002 - MOT - same every year - handbrake efficiency

why does my ctr always have same issues every year ! handbrake efficiency !

i normally adjust / tighten the handbrake cable on the inside and usually gets it through, but since i have not been using my ctr i have over-tighten it

but i think this time it needs sorting out ?

i hope they can just lubricate and adjust the cables under the car, and i hope its not the calipers as kwit fit mentioneed about £120 a side.

any ideas ? and will a clean and adjust sort it out ?

thanks

Hi, my car (04 facelift) also came back with a handbrake efficiency advisorie when I put it through it's mot. My main garage that I use to do work on my car said it was down to a sticky rear caliper.

I wouldn't trust kwikfit to properly affix a dust-cap, never mind a brake calliper! Consider braided lines and 5.1 fluid if you're changing calipers, it'll need bleeding anyway so it's not far off a free fitment.

funny you should say that - picked up my ctr drove few miles down the road and burning smell, stopped and the driver's side rear disc was red hot and burning, had to crawl back and then loosen the handbrake cables. my ctr never did that. drove home after, hope it will be okay from now.

My drivers side calipers seized up couple months back couldn't even touch my wheel!! So i just ordered a Reconditioned one from Brakeparts.co.uk the Budweg ones are good as they tend to be like for like Nissin ones (well i got a Nissin one) think i paid £65 delivered

well same again this year, failed on handbrake efficiency :(

anyone know how much for track rod end ball joints nearside and offside [ excessive play ] but i cant feel any play myself

this is with kwit fit again :(

Have you taken it to a garage in the last year to have it diagnosed?

Have a check of the springs on the rear calipers. Take a pair of pliers and take them off to give them a good scrub with a wire brush and douse them in WD40.

Mine tend to get gunked up and seem to stop the tension on the handbrake lever on the caliper from releasing.

I have had a couple of advisories on the efficiency of the handbrake in the past.

If you want to replace the calipers then try this place https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Honda...p3)/Rear - Brake Calipers and Wheel Cylinders

See this pop up loads for EP3's.
Had the same issue with the GF's EP3. Its had new calipers, discs, pads, both cables, and the handbrake is still crap. I did the work, then when it went for mot it failed so she got the garage to have a go at it, they replaced another one of the new calipers and its still exactly the same. One of the cables was slightly longer than the other and you cant adjust them seperatly which is annoying. So I disconnected the longer one for a while to stretch the shorter one to the same length. after a few weeks I put them both back on and it has improved slightly but the handbrake is still pretty crap considering everything is new. I used Budleg calipers and I think the garage used pagid ones from euro car parts, made no difference.

I've still got a new rear caliper in the box if anyone needs one.
It will be going for MOT again shortly so see how it gets on.

The last time i renewed my rear calipers i fitted them then bled them with the pistons no more than 1mm away from the discs. I then pumped the brakes about 10-15 times.

Slackened off the handbrake adjuster fully and attached the handbrake cables to the calipers. Fitted both rear wheels and with the rear of the car still in the air i pulled the handbrake lever on one click and tightened the adjuster nut until there was some drag on the rear wheels. Released the handbrake lever and checked there was no drag on the rear wheels but still drag with the lever up one click.

well same again this year, failed on handbrake efficiency :(

anyone know how much for track rod end ball joints nearside and offside [ excessive play ] but i cant feel any play myself

this is with kwit fit again :(

Get this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-HOND...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Also funny you should say that, none of my calipers stick or do I have handbrake issues. In fact when I sit at a slight incline on the road, unless I have my brakes on the car starts rolling off, it's so free flowing.

I did clean up my disks and install new pads though as before that it was sticking a bit (yet the calipers are new all around lol).

Had the same problem,brought 2 rear calipers from break international and 2 rear handbreak cables from Sutton auto factors

Back