• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Valve clearance problems

Hi guys, first post on this form (apologies in advance if this question has been asked before).
Basically i bought my fn2 type R back in june. It had its valve clearances checked 32000 miles ago. Wanting to look after my new mistress well i took her to a honda garage to have it checked. Later in the day they rang me to tell me they can not do the clearances because one of the bolts going into the cover just spins and can't be taken out. Honda say they only way to do it is to break the cover, and replace anything that breaks with it. Said the car would have to be at honda for 3 days as they are unsure on what parts would break. Am i right in saying the dealer is trying to bent me over? Surely breaking a cover off isn't going to break other engine parts? The honda Mechanic said the engine doesn't sound rattlely and sounds fine. But im not convinced his ear can measure mm clearances ;). Any advice would be appreciated. I dont know if i should attempt to drill the bolt or let honda do there game plan.

Valve clearances is a DIY job tbf. Get in touch with the garage that did the clearances 32000 miles ago. Either them or Honda have sheered a bolt.

Honda did the valve clearances last time. The cam cover has been painted yellow (im guessing from the previous owner) honda blames whoever painted the cover for the bolt. What exactly does honda think is going to break with the cover?

They're only covering themselves in case something else breaks. Chances are they'll just wreck the cover and the broken stud. But if worse case something like a cam gets damaged then at least they've warned you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, little update on the bolt issue. Next weekend im going to give fixing the bolt a go my self, valve clearances and chamge the spark plugs. Got all the gear for the job yesterday, after looking at the new bolt and acorn nuts I believe the bolt isn’t spinning but the small thead for the acorn nut has been sheered off, I personally can’t see how the bolt that goes into the engine head wouldn’t snap before it sheered the thead in the head of the engine. The size of the bolt compared to the cover part is massive. I’ve also read on the forms alot of people have had issues with overtighten the acorn nut. Was wondering if you guys agree wirh my thinking? Ill let ya know how it goes ;)

Back