• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

tough decision fk2 or FK8

Personally, FK2 all day long. Just looks alone wins it hands down for me. In my opinion the FK8 doesn’t look half as good as the FK2.

Make a list of pros and cons of both.

If you don't really have any for either then save some money and get a FK2.

If you can wait a year then fk8,
If it's a now purchase then fk2,
The FK2 will be cheaper leaving you mod money (and you will want to mod it)
Fk8 there are more mods available already and more to come but there's quite a few issues popping up,

Personally I can't split either based on looks. They are both outrageously in your face :twisted: & both insanely quick for a fwd hot hatch. If I was in your shoes I'd go for the latest fk8, as I think Honda improved on the performance even more.

I was in the same position , in the end i went with a pre registered fk2 black edition with 100 miles on the clock. I did intially have a deposit down on an fk8 though, but the looks of the fk2 ( and the huge chunk i negotiated off due to the fk8 coming out helped as well) this and the fact it was made in low numbers won me over . I use mine as a daily ,infact ive put 5k mikes on it in 10 weeks ! I dont regret the decision at all. Ive test driven an fk8 and yes the suspension in comfort is softer and the best bit by far was the 50mm lower seat. But the car did not feel as raw or eager as a' race car for the road 'should imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can wait a year then fk8,
If it's a now purchase then fk2,
The FK2 will be cheaper leaving you mod money (and you will want to mod it)
Fk8 there are more mods available already and more to come but there's quite a few issues popping up,

Im lucky I suppose iv'e managed to find a demo with a black edition and a newer GT. at very similar prices

I love the wraparound cockpit of the FK2 ,

excitement wise its the FK2 I'm also trying a focus RS (I tested the golf ,RS3 focus RS and FK2) but only the RS and CIVIC pushed the right , I'm not a passenger button.

but I like the Honda it just seems more Raw and precise in the FK2 guise

However im then thinking FK8 is newer but seems sooooooo...... much bigger but haven't actually driven that however, the sales guy said its got all the fun of the old one but with a soft button for us old folks

Thanks for the replies ..

That's the thing apparently its not as fun as the FK2, there's a few reports popping up, doesn't feel as quick, not as agile.
One popped up yesterday owner traded his FK2 in for the 8 and has sold it already, there's a few reviews in favour of the FK2

Not aimed at you this Rob, but after years of bashing the torsion beam are we now saying that the car with the torsion beam is more agile than the car with independent rear suspension?

It's a funny old world...

It is puzzling,
I was expecting the 8 to 100% wipe the floor with the 2 regarding handling and fun but the reviews are a mixed bag, was never expecting an fk2 owner swap to the 8 and sell up so quickly after ownership

It is puzzling,
I was expecting the 8 to 100% wipe the floor with the 2 regarding handling and fun but the reviews are a mixed bag, was never expecting an fk2 owner swap to the 8 and sell up so quickly after ownership

Well im pretty much 99.9 percent decided its an FK2 in Metallic Grey or maybe even RED especially after jack the lad bawl bag at ford told me I essentially wasn't worthy of his time because he's here to sell cars , I was prepared to overlook the tiny issue of engine blocks cracking as the folks who have had new engines said ford fixed them no issues, no questions , but when some guy talks to you like your a time waster then , sadly ..............

but hey ho blessings in disguise

Now the rumours surrounding type R gearbox issues

Well im pretty much 99.9 percent decided its an FK2 in Metallic Grey or maybe even RED especially after jack the lad bawl bag at ford told me I essentially wasn't worthy of his time because he's here to sell cars , I was prepared to overlook the tiny issue of engine blocks cracking as the folks who have had new engines said ford fixed them no issues, no questions , but when some guy talks to you like your a time waster then , sadly ..............

but hey ho blessings in disguise

Now the rumours surrounding type R gearbox issues

This wasn't Edgware Trustford was it? I went in there too test drive a Mustang but they'd sold the one they were going to use and didn't tell me beforehand. Just what you want when you've trekked round the north circular. All I needed was some convincing and I would have got one but they didn't seem bothered. Walked off as ordered the Type R (FK8). Probably for the best in the end.

I got myself an ex demo fk2 on Saturday in Milano red. 2017 plate with 3000 miles on it. 24000 and immaculate. Also got 4 years free servicing. The car is a real head turner. Fk2 for looks all the way. Fk8 a little bit more out there but still nice.

I was in the same position and went FK8.

Quality of the interior a bit better.

Much better handling car at limit, it doesn’t feel as quick as it’s so quiet but on a back to back road I know well with lots of fast and slow bends it was a fair bit quicker. I used both for a day before I purchased one as my run about and spent all day pushing along the same roads to compare (when really pushing handling is night and day).

As you would expect really as one has proper suspension and one doesn’t really, it's compromised by the torsion.

I also preferred the look of the FK8 personally but that’s a subjective thing and think the FK2 also looks good. (Prefer quad exhaust look).

Torsion beam will move around more at the rear.

This anyone who says other wise is talking bollox. I’ve spent quite a bit of time having track tuition in various Porsche’s by pros and whilst not a god can drive a bit.

I found the back end can get unsettled really quick in the FK2. Also a good test of balance on slower flowing bends near me (Devils elbow on the B3227) which is a good test of balance coming hanking in last of late brakers and balancing a car on the throttle. The balance just isn’t there like it is in the FK8. Issue simply caused by a compromised rear suspension set up.

Also the lack of variable dampers puts them further apart in the dept for real world daily used as comfort mode really is comfy.

Hi all im a bit torn here which to go for an ex demo fk2 or a brand new fk8

any ideas help or suggestions?

You’ve probably bought one now, but I had this exact decision to make. I would have got a new FK2 if they hadn’t have stopped making them, they did before my company car lease was up sadly. I thought the FK8 was okay looking in the pictures but then I saw one in the flesh one day in London, blerg. Not for me. Gone a bit down the scooby road styling wise. Not my thing at all. Each to their own though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was in the same boat too.
Tested both loved both - a few extra toys in the FK8 plus I REALLY love the front end looks. The back still jars me a bit from the rear 3/4 angle but the wing adds the height to at least balance the looks.
In the end I figured I'm mainly on the inside so that's more important. Both cars will turn heads and they're both huge amounts of fun.
(Also glad it's not just me who thought about the Scooby styling hence why I'd never get FK8 in blue lol)

Back