• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Millers Motorsport Oil for daily driving

Currently on my FN2 I'm running "Millers Oils CFS 5W-40NT plus", which is a motor-sport oil or at least it's labelled on this way.
And I'm using the car for daily driving, mostly in the city.
I don't use to go for track.

Any issue that I'm using a motorsport oil?
Should I switch to a normal oil like "Millers Oils EE Longlife 5W-40" or other similar?

Any fully synthetic 5w-40 oil will do. If that oil is fully synthetic (which Google suggests it is) then fine, don't go swapping it out, but likewise don't go paying extra for it come service time.

Always ran Millers in my DC5 on and off track. Tried a couple different oils and just wasn't the same. Always went back to Millers.

Then when I bought my STI I bought a few cases of the Millers nano when it was first released. Great stuff. And I made a profit selling what I had left over ad the retail price climbed close to €100 per bottle, whereas I got mine for €45 a bottle.

As loxy said. Any decent 5w40 will do.
The difference between the stuff you have and the long life you mentioned will just be additives mainly. The long life oil will be suited to cars on extended service intervals and possibly have a low ash content for diesels with DPF’s. Nothing you need to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How so exactly?

They lost their life/golden hue very quickly and were a lot darker come oil changes. I never had an issue with oil usage on/off track with millers. When using Castrol and Mobil 1 I was topping up. I even gave the benefit of the doubt that maybe I needed to run out the old stuff, so I gave the chance of a 2nd oil change and same thing.

Also holding a more consistent pressure and not losing viscosity at track paces. Motul and Millers seem to shine through here particularly.

They lost their life/golden hue very quickly and were a lot darker come oil changes. I never had an issue with oil usage on/off track with millers. When using Castrol and Mobil 1 I was topping up. I even gave the benefit of the doubt that maybe I needed to run out the old stuff, so I gave the chance of a 2nd oil change and same thing.

Also holding a more consistent pressure and not losing viscosity at track paces. Motul and Millers seem to shine through here particularly.

The colour of the oil doesn't give much away, you'd have to send it away for analysis to give a complete picture. That will give you an idea of fuel %, any copper in the oil etc.

Had my FN2 serviced today and it now has Millers 5W40 in it. Exactly what sort of Millers 5w40 is open to question. All the receipt states is 'Millers 5w40 Full Synthetic'. When charged for 5L of oil, I expect the leftovers for top ups, to be left in the car, or presented to me upon paying. How am I supposed to know what to top it up with? I hate it when garages do this!

Had my FN2 serviced today and it now has Millers 5W40 in it. Exactly what sort of Millers 5w40 is open to question. All the receipt states is 'Millers 5w40 Full Synthetic'. When charged for 5L of oil, I expect the leftovers for top ups, to be left in the car, or presented to me upon paying. How am I supposed to know what to top it up with? I hate it when garages do this!

Garages would rarely buy individual 5L bottles. It'd most likely be bought by the barrel and then you should only be charged by whatever amount of litres are decanted/pumped from the drum in to your engine.

If it does come out of a barrel, then I'd expect the receipt to say 4.2 or 4.5 Ltrs at most? I'll check the level in the morning. If it's overfilled with 5Ltrs, then it goes back to have the excess drained off.

Turns out it's Millers Trident 5W40 in my FN2, and it is way over filled. I expect it'll be good enough for 6000 miles until the next change. Be interesting to see if the mpg increases a little with this stuff.

Back