• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

New FN2 - Oil Consumption

I recently bought an 09 FN2 with FSH and 56k miles. I know that these cars can drink oil. I understand (though who knows if truthful) that the previous owner, who had owned for 4/5 years and 40k miles, rarely used VTEC as it was used for the school run. The oil was near the top when I picked it up. 400 miles or so later it was around half, but I had driven it very hard on the 300 mile trip home, so I topped it up with fully synthetic 5W-40 (though relatively cheap stuff). Another 200 miles or so later of mainly motorway driving with the odd trip into vtec, and it's down about 1/4 between the top and bottom markers. Is this normal usage? It seems a lot ...

Certainly no signs of leak or blue smoke.

That does sound quite excessive. Perhaps have the valve clearances checked.

Is it fine to top up with 10w50 or 10w60 if the oil that's in is 0w40 or 5w40?

I spoke to the main dealer, they have done the last three services and have never done the valve clearances (why not?). Worth having them done now or wait till next service in May?

I spoke to the main dealer, they have done the last three services and have never done the valve clearances (why not?). Worth having them done now or wait till next service in May?

As long as you top up with synthetic then you can mix grades.

Tappets are every 25k IIRC.

Out of spec clearances would increase oil consumption. Up to you when you get it done...

Must be done on a stone cold engine.

I suppose it's guides rather than clearance that are the main route for oil from the head into the chambers. Only a small amount of oil would theoretically migrate through the valve itself so it should only have a minimal effect on oil consumption.

Valve clearances have nothing to do with oil consumption.

You should be doing a compression check to see how well the rings are sealing first.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Switching from 0w-30 to 5w-40 (full flush) and doing valve clearances (same service) my usage went from 3-500ml per 500 miles to hardly using a single drop in the 8000 mile interval. Only usage now is on track and even that's minimal. I used to check on every fuel station visit and ending up topping up on the second fill up.

I've just put Fuchs 5w40 in mine, will monitor usage. Before changing I was putting in half a litre per fill up. Reckon (hope) the previous owner had 0w-30 in it.

Reminds me of B series engines when they get to around 100k miles, go a grade thicker (5w30 to 5w40 say) and usually all is well.

Back