• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Tegiwa or ADD W1 Short shifter

The Bushes on my car are going so what do I replace them with Tegiwa Kit £99 or ADD W1 kit £67, both on ebay and both do the job ? Which one.:confused:

Are you sure it's the shifter bushes? What makes you think that? Do you know if it currently has solid or rubber bushes fitted?

Hi Hazz

The car has been standing for over a year so ? its difficult to go from 4-5-6th. We took the cent-dash out and all looks ok. We took the air box out and had a look at the bushes, they look a bit worn, but didnt have time to remove them. Dont know if solid or rubber

If solid they'll be shiny ally, if rubber they'll be black.

It's not common for the shifter bushes to cause such issues, especially if they are still OEM rubber. Do you have any record of the clutch being done? What's your milage?

If the clutch is good and the bushes are solid I'd be looking to check if the shifter cables have stretched as this seems to be a semi-common problem with aftermarket solid shifter bushes. I'm not sure what the test for this is, probably put it in gear with the dash centre off and see how much slack there is in the cable. Another one I've heard causing issues is the little plastic cap thing that goes on the shifter and clips into the cable. The odd one or two people have had issues with this braking or wearing out.

Hi all,

The rubbers are black OEM, air box out. Milage is 70, but with no SH. we looked at the white cap thing looked ok, it was off to one side ? but apart from that looked ok. I had to go to France and did 1800 miles, all was ok apart from sometimes 4/5/6 was difficult.

Hi Hazz
So after market short shifters can stretch the cables, now I get it. The rubber units are to take up the pull in the cable.

70k might be about right for a clutch if it's been abused a little (doesn't necessarily mean ragged to death, could just be slipped on hills instead of using a handbrake).

Unless the rubbers are cracked or really sloppy they should be fine I reckon. Usually if the bushes or cables are worn/stretched then the gearstick will have excessive left to right movement when in gear. Is this the case? It should move a little, only a cm or so.

Just tried the gear shifter and it moves about 1cm each way, just like you said. The clutch cable is making one hell of a noise, could it be the clutch cable ? So you recon a new clutch needs to be fitted,:eek: Just spent £1700 on her already. New sparks/oil filter, air filter, drop links all 4, drive shaft gaiters, roof repaint, mid strut brace rotted-replaced. brake stopper, tracking and carpets.

Back