• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Quality issues

I have seen the transmission issues online. Are they all USA cars? Has anyone in the UK had a transmission issue?

Our car is now on c1700miles without issue.

(we get an occasional slight squeal from the brakes and sometimes a couple of dash rattles at certain rpm which i think is the front tweeter pods - neither real issues though)

Would you not think that some of the gearbox issues in the US are down to abuse of a manual box by people who up to now have only driven autos?
Pure guess,but perhaps 95% of Americans have never driven a car with a stick shift,as they call them.

Would you not think that some of the gearbox issues in the US are down to abuse of a manual box by people who up to now have only driven autos?
Pure guess,but perhaps 95% of Americans have never driven a car with a stick shift,as they call them.

They do comment on that and while a couple were not changing properly, others like this flyingato mush has a s2000 and is quite handy on a track so Defo something up

I was thinking of getting a Astra vxr GTc as a stop gap but the gear box crunch reports and Vauxhall doing sod all about it put me off..... ironic a normally quality product like Honda has seemingly the same

One US owner only drove his 9 miles from the dealer before his started crunching,
It's probably mixed bag like the FK2, only a handful forum reported box issues but then the fk2 is a minimum run car, the fk8 being global we'll probably hear of a lot more issues.
Are the boxes US made, I know the engines are

The Type-R is in the States for the first time and a manual and now we see more gearbox issues. I'd be tempted to say user error as lots in the US can't/don't drive manual regularly, let alone heel and toe which is why it has the rev match feature. But in the UK we tend to get on with and and muddle through sometimes and don't speak up when we should. In the US everything goes back in for warranty claims. Helps us in the long run as there's more people raising issues because there's more cars and as someone said, the first owners are doing the R&D for Honda now. The next batches will be made with tighter processes and QC.

Most of the forum members out there are car enthusiasts that have a long expertise in driving manual transmissions. Given that it also happened on FK2R I tend to take them seriously.

One US owner only drove his 9 miles from the dealer before his started crunching,
It's probably mixed bag like the FK2, only a handful forum reported box issues but then the fk2 is a minimum run car, the fk8 being global we'll probably hear of a lot more issues.
Are the boxes US made, I know the engines are
I remember that even the FK2R drive test car had a considerably notchy second gear.

The Type-R is in the States for the first time and a manual and now we see more gearbox issues. I'd be tempted to say user error as lots in the US can't/don't drive manual regularly, let alone heel and toe which is why it has the rev match feature. But in the UK we tend to get on with and and muddle through sometimes and don't speak up when we should. In the US everything goes back in for warranty claims. Helps us in the long run as there's more people raising issues because there's more cars and as someone said, the first owners are doing the R&D for Honda now. The next batches will be made with tighter processes and QC.
What amazes me in the US is that despite these frequent gearbox issue reports, Americans are still flocking to buy this car even with mark-up. Letting money go out of your hand that easy in these conditions...
Being aware of these gear issues (2nd grind and unable to get from 6 to 5) made me postpone the FK8R purchase until they solve it. Same with rev matching/check engine issues. Reliability is important as I intend to use it as a main car (except Winter). Also in this price range you expect at least a car that doesn't break.
It's interesting also how do they handle existing cases. Will provide a fair indication of the Honda ownership experience.

And if they don't fix these issues then moving on. Despite being my first choice I have other sweet alternatives in this price range. I have zero loyalty towards any brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All
I am the same - having seen/heard about the transmission issues, I have also decided to hang on to see if they get sorted and also to see how common a problem it is as it does seem to be quite an issue in the US with a number of these being reported/videoed on You Tube.
I have a number of options in this price range including the Focus RS although I am having second thoughts about that with the new Focus being due next year. There are also options that are less expensive including the new Fiesta ST which is due early next year.
So although I love the look of thee civic etc, until these problems are resolved I won't be parting with 30+ k

Hi,

first post, potential new owner here having secured a CW demonstrator to pick up this weekend all being well. anyone else seen issues with their rear light/indicator clusters misting up with condensation inside the lens cover. noticed this on inspecting the car earlier this week after the recent drop in temperature, drivers side was worse than the pax side, but both had moisture inside the lens housing.

cheers

The FK2 is the same. Something to do with the bulbs/led's not producing enough heat to clear them or something like that.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Please be aware. Honda will not do anything for those people with horrendous brake noise as in my previous footage. They have heard the footage and think that is acceptable . Not in my book

Hi,

first post, potential new owner here having secured a CW demonstrator to pick up this weekend all being well. anyone else seen issues with their rear light/indicator clusters misting up with condensation inside the lens cover. noticed this on inspecting the car earlier this week after the recent drop in temperature, drivers side was worse than the pax side, but both had moisture inside the lens housing.

cheers

Welcome! Great colour choice sir

Wouldn't worry about the lens condensation. how many miles and what deal did you get if you don't mind me asking?

Please be aware. Honda will not do anything for those people with horrendous brake noise as in my previous footage. They have heard the footage and think that is acceptable . Not in my book

What you going to do mate? Would they entertain swapping pads or discs or both?? Or meeting half way, not that you want to shell out I fully appreciate

{Unable to comment any further} are their words so i think that's the end of it from Honda uk. Not sure what my next move is yet,waiting for legal advice.
So disappointed in Honda and now wish i bought the A45 amg :evil:

{Unable to comment any further} are their words so i think that's the end of it from Honda uk. Not sure what my next move is yet,waiting for legal advice.
So disappointed in Honda and now wish i bought the A45 amg :evil:
Seeking legal advice over some squeaky brakes is ridiculous man.

2 ways to look at this.
Performance brakes normally have trade offs. Such as excessive noise, dust and lack performance in cold conditions.
On the other hand. These points should be made to you when purchasing the vehicle.

Similar issue years back when DPF’s first came out. Everyone was on the diesel hype and sales teams were flogging them to everyone without notifying them about the driving style and conditions required for a vehicle with a DPF. The result was people doing low mileage coming in within a few months with clogged up DPF’s having their cars bought back and then sold a petrol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If its that bad to live with can you not refuse the car and then Honda have to try and resolve the issue

If its that bad to live with can you not refuse the car and then Honda have to try and resolve the issue

This! Are you not within a time period to reject the car still?

JasonStatus -have you heard the clips?? Easy to say that, but this is proper excessive..

Yes i have heard the clips mate.
If honda are not willing to do anything then Matthew b should try some of the suggestions that have been recommended on this thread..
Some high speed heavy braking and if that dont cure it then pull the pads out and copper slip the backs.

Back