• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Enzo's Daily 2005 Facelift Civic EP3 Type R Premier Edition - Cosmic Grey

[video=youtube_share;JMDhiotaHgU]https://youtu.be/JMDhiotaHgU[/video]

One of my laps from this year. Slow as f*ck mind, but it was good fun :D

[video=youtube_share;JMDhiotaHgU]https://youtu.be/JMDhiotaHgU[/video]

One of my laps from this year. Slow as f*ck mind, but it was good fun :D

This is absolutely something I've always wanted to cover off. Did you go with friends and was it expensive?

This is absolutely something I've always wanted to cover off. Did you go with friends and was it expensive?

Yeah three of us went, my mates got a Audi 8P S3 DSG Stage 2+ running 360bhp, and other has a Sean Leon FR 2.0 TFSI DSG running 253bhp, so 3 lads in 3 different cars.

We drove from here to Le Mans, Lyon, Monaco, Bologna, Mugello, Milan, Switzerland, Germany, Amsterdam then back to France and back to the UK via the Eurotunnel. The trip took us 12 days and was around £1000 ish in fuel? I didn't really track that part, and accommodation across it all was only around £600 each between us then spends on top (food etc).

If you want to just do a ring trip it's not too bad at all really, maybe £300 in fuel there and back and 25 euros/lap? It's fully worth the journey, then throw some spends and accommodation on top of that, it's alot cheaper than what you would expect and I went last year also, just in a different car.

It's never really something I considered going and doing till my friends suggested and wanted to do it, now I honestly think it's the best place in the world, and if you're into your cars you NEED TO GO, the whole surrounding area, atmosphere and car culture there is the best in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Undersealing begins! Arch Refurb & Rear Crash Bar.

So on the bank holiday Monday I had some free time and the weather was fair, so I thought I best get cracking with the car as winter is creeping up now :eek:

First job was to finish off the rear crash bar from last time:
Ox4YM4yh.jpg

94ehImOh.jpg

ltP80RIh.jpg

So angle grinded it down, rust treated it, cleaned, sprayed and then lacquered. I was made up with this to be honest as it really refreshed the rear end:

bb7pd5lh.jpg

I was just about finished for the day then I thought nop... i'm gonna tackle an arch, as last time working on the car I rust treated and grinded some of the arches as the rust was about to creep up onto the bodywork, and ripped out that stupid carpet arch protector Honda had put in, which is likely the reason it's rusted in the first place.... I thought if I don't tackle this now, come the end of winter it's gonna be on the body:
xdZGCQTh.jpg

Kwrm8WNh.jpg

THt25wTh.jpg

Much better:
WX3opU7h.jpg

VCUSeVQh.jpg

I also grinded down parts of the underside last time, and give it another go this time, then applied some underseal using Dynax S-50. First time doing this and it seemed a fantastic product:

j6QFmDEh.jpg

HTT6sY8h.jpg

Should protect the rear underside for many years to come :cool: ... I will continue to complete the rest of the underneath of the car in the coming weeks, and ofcourse fully underseal the rest of the wheel arches as they're currently exposed.

Top work on the rust prevention there mate, I'm considering having a go at under sealing my ep3, how easy/hard/messy a job is it and what prep is required?

13 years old next month, still scrubs up well for an old girl.

UihzDK5h.jpg

Once the undersealing is complete, i'd like a replacement clutch to freshen up the drive as it's very heavy these days and still the original, and bite is right at the bottom so not much life left in it, I'd also like to sort out the blowing on the exhaust where the backbox connects to the main pipe.

After that it'll be running 100%, and I may go down the performance route (4-2-1 manifold, K100 etcc as i've already got an intake and exhaust, I imagine collectively it would be pushing 225bhp then?) I'm not too sure currently though as it's alot of money and as it's my daily driver i'm just enjoying it from a driving experience perspective currently.)

Is it worth getting the fast road setup done since it's my daily driver? (It does see track time also) Will it improve things massively? It would be £600 all in (From Grinspeed) which isn't cheap either.

Top work on the rust prevention there mate, I'm considering having a go at under sealing my ep3, how easy/hard/messy a job is it and what prep is required?

It's not too bad to be honest, it's tedious and rather messy cleaning up the rust as best you can, then after you've done that apply some rust treatment, leave it a few days to do it's business then wipe down the surface and proceed to paint / apply the underseal.

For the undersealing I Used Dynax S-50 and Dynax Underbody - both great products that come in a spray can, so application is quick and easy. Ideally i'd recommend two coats or a coat of each of the products, can't go wrong that way and it's nice and thick.

I'd recommend the products 100%, not too messy at all either, it's rather thick stuff so you only get the odd drip.

FRSU is well worth it for a daily IMO.

You can do it on the cheap by just doing the fronts which will still make a huge difference. Obviously not as good as a full set up though.

I recommend FRSU, worth the money.

Not so much for the 4-2-1 and Kpro though, at least in my opinion they cost too much for what essentially is a tiny gain in performance. Yes it will be quicker, more responsive and feel better in the mid range, but it comes down to £ vs Gain and what you think is reasonable. Also ideally you want a bigger intake manifold, possibly bigger throttle body, and then at least stage 1 cams (to make the NA map worth doing). A lot of people claim 250bhp NA after the following mods, but again it varies from dyno to dyno. Usually 235-240 is what I'd expect.

They way I see it, if you want power out of the K20, just save up for a 2nd hand supercharger/turbo kit. It's cheaper in the long run.

They way I see it, if you want power out of the K20, just save up for a 2nd hand supercharger/turbo kit. It's cheaper in the long run.

For which you'd still need the K100/Kpro. I think it's worth it, but it's part of a greater whole.

A remap with light mods can make the car so much better. Lower vtec and the mid range bhp increase is a good thing, did it to my Fn2.

Just a quick update on the car:

Well i've now owned the car for 12 months and what a 12 months it's been....

I done an oil and filter change mid or early September (I can't remember when exactly I'd need to check my service booklet) in prep for the winter as it hasn't been done since spring time in prep for the Nurburgring and Europe trip. Castrol Edge 5w 40 and a OEM Honda filter.

Had a new Eagle F1 fitted a few months ago also as I picked up a puncture right on the outer tread.

It was Insurance and tax in October also which worked out at £1200 combined :mad: The car also passed it's MOT!

I've also just purchased a new exhaust system, well an OEM middle silencer for £50, and a Cobra 6" x 4" oval backbox for £227, so just need to get these fitted now. I wanted to go with a custom 2.5" stainless steel system, but I was quoted £470 :(. My reasons for this are my exhaust is blowing really badly at the moment to the point it's embarrassing! So this needs to be addressed sooner rather than later unfortunately...

I'm just trying to enjoy the car at the moment and keep costs down because I've spent close to 4k fixing it all up not even including the above, and there's so much more to do... I'm just trying to get some cost free motoring out of it currently.

Few pics also, as what's an update without pics::

One at the Modified North West Show at Bowlers in Manchester recently on our club stand, TDi North had the stand in the background also:

tr9TVOLh.jpg

One of the interior nice and clean the other day:
iaWl313h.jpg

The blowing exhaust... the underside looks horrendous in this pic which still needs fully addressing and sealing as I didn't manage to get it sorted fully this summer:
mvk3eFfh.jpg

And a temp botch job to get it through the MOT and stop the blowing for a couple weeks... it's just simple adhesive aluminium foil.
zKVKoX0h.jpg

and one sitting pretty:
t2XCCkNh.jpg

Car Update

Car is going great at the moment, finally got a new exhaust on it too. I went with a Cobra Oval 6 x 4 Backbox with 2.5" pipework, but got an OEM mid silencer pipe which connects to the cat and that's only 1.75" if i'm correct? This just gives me the simple option to update to a 2.5" straight pipe and sports cat manifold etcc if I go chasing figures. As a daily it's great at the moment though, i'm due to check / change my front pads as I feel they'll be running low now after Europe and the Nurburgring.

Apart from that i'm happy where it's at... I don't have the money to throw around at the moment for a FRSU and new clutch, as that's all the car REALLY needs. I'm happy to just keep costs down in terms of performance mods and keep it sweet as a nice daily and continue to tackle the underside and get it as mint as possible!

I've started saving a side pot up now for another car also... I do look at DC5's multiple times daily currently... especially a mugen facelift one! But they're like rocking horse sh!t and expensive... so who knows...

Future Life Decisions (Two car option):

Make the EP3 the weekend / track car aiming for 240 bhp region keeping it N/A.
Integra DC5 as a garage queen but track slag :D

Daily Driver:::
Keep the current EP3 as the daily.
Ford Focus Mk3 Titanium X
BMW F30 320d/i M Sport
BMW E92 Coupe
BMW 3 Series Estate / Audi A4 Estate

I'd be looking to spend around £7-8k on the daily from the above list, apart from if I want to push the boat out and get an F30 gen BMW for around £10k. All a pipe dream at the moment anyway, I'm just considering my future setup :cool:

Car Update

Car is going great at the moment, finally got a new exhaust on it too. I went with a Cobra Oval 6 x 4 Backbox with 2.5" pipework, but got an OEM mid silencer pipe which connects to the cat and that's only 1.75" if i'm correct? This just gives me the simple option to update to a 2.5" straight pipe and sports cat manifold etcc if I go chasing figures. As a daily it's great at the moment though, i'm due to check / change my front pads as I feel they'll be running low now after Europe and the Nurburgring.

Apart from that i'm happy where it's at... I don't have the money to throw around at the moment for a FRSU and new clutch, as that's all the car REALLY needs. I'm happy to just keep costs down in terms of performance mods and keep it sweet as a nice daily and continue to tackle the underside and get it as mint as possible!

I've started saving a side pot up now for another car also... I do look at DC5's multiple times daily currently... especially a mugen facelift one! But they're like rocking horse sh!t and expensive... so who knows...

Future Life Decisions (Two car option):

Make the EP3 the weekend / track car aiming for 240 bhp region keeping it N/A.
Integra DC5 as a garage queen but track slag :D

Daily Driver:::
Keep the current EP3 as the daily.
Ford Focus Mk3 Titanium X
BMW F30 320d/i M Sport
BMW E92 Coupe
BMW 3 Series Estate / Audi A4 Estate

I'd be looking to spend around £7-8k on the daily from the above list, apart from if I want to push the boat out and get an F30 gen BMW for around £10k. All a pipe dream at the moment anyway, I'm just considering my future setup :cool:

Get a DC5 for track slag and an E92 coupe for daily. You want your daily and track cars to be very different from each other, that way you won't get bored and will look forward to the drive a lot more.

Car has been faultless all year so far, not one issue so can't complain at all. I'm currently in the process of acquiring parts though for a trip to Grinspeed again fairly soon for the following jobs:

- Replace front engine mount (it's gone)
- Fit front braided brake lines
- Fit two new front brake calipers
- Fit MTEC hooked discs and PBS pads.
- Check and tighten handbrake
- Address screeching sound at 2500rpm (I assume idle pully tensioner)
- A general look over and their thoughts at the state of the car, what they recommend etc.

I've also tackled one of the rear arches as it was about to creep onto the bodywork (our friend rust), so here we go:

Products used:

- Blizhamper Hydrate 80 (rust converter)
- Blizhamper Underbody (underseal)
- Eitech Primer (standard primer off Amazon)
- Cosmic Grey (rattle can off eBay)

How it was, you can see the rust all over the arch
ljrpOcAh.jpg

Arch removed and a pile of all the soil that came out...

4QTgwhFh.jpg

After the lining was removed, I think i'd cleared up some of the rust when i'd took this pic:
pvcPHUVh.jpg

Pre treatment with Blizhamper Hydrate 80
oDS0tWah.jpg

Treatement applied, I done two coats of this a few hours in between.
b0yXe14h.jpg

Vhy6Q1dh.jpg

One thing to note, these arches seemed to have begun to rot on the inside also, and cleaning that area was a nightmare, and so was treating it... but if you're doing this job don't forget to check there.
NX8LaPLh.jpg

Primed
QXTZYD4h.jpg

Painted
inkYKrzh.jpg

All done, treated, primed, painted and sealed.
gNrn5BGh.jpg

npwWkKvh.jpg

iByfqcNh.jpg

I made a bit of a dogs dinner on the paint job to be honest where it connects to the main body of the car but it was ****ing down and I needed the job done and car back together to get to work and whatever else... so i'll gladly accept a minor paint fault for rust prevention at the moment

Just an update on the rear end too, seems to have held up well since last time sorting it!
tbArnzhh.jpg

So the EP3 is finally being retired as the daily driver for the winter, which will give me a chance to get it all sorted out and properly undersealed and restored.

So behold the new daily driver, A Mk7 Accord 2.2 CDTI which I picked up for £1,100 and it's done 160,000, and is sweet as a peach! Had all major work done with receipts and it averaged 57mpg on the 112 mile drive home from where I picked it up from. It'll be getting cheap parts only as it is a budget daily and any proper spare money I have will be pumped into the EP3

wG4CzJsh.jpg

789LLfAh.jpg

QXEPGgVh.jpg

Hx6VPosh.jpg

Back