• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Engine light on slight vtec hesitation??

Hey guys

So had my ep3 for about 2 months now and its been running fine apart from a slight hesitation on vtec crossover. Split second hesitation then quite a kick as it engages. Now, this morning my engine light came on and was wondering if this will be related. If it is, is it just a case of taking the solenoid off and cleaning it out if dirty/ fitting new solenoid? I'm going to take it out at lunch time to see if vtec is still engaging as ive not checked yet.

Any help appreciated.

Is it on OEM ECU? Honda purposefully put a mini dip in power just before the vtec engages to give the impression of a stronger changeover like the older B-series vtec. Could just be that?

As for EML, get the fault code.

Yeah it is completely standard mate. Hmm that's interesting. Thank you. So i need to get it plugged in?

Usually sign of stretched timing chain isn't it? (VTEC hesitation and EML)

But yes there's dip in the power just before VTEC engages as described above.

I work in a dealership Body shop and got a shot of a code reader from one of the mechanics next door. Will plug in tonight and report back.

So i took the car out at lunch time amd gave it a wee run. 10 mins later the EML went out and stayed off. Strange. Amy ideas? Maybe a dodgy signal somewhere?

Sounds like it could be a intermittent sensor, the fault code should still be logged on the ECU so still worth reading the code to give you an idea what's causing it.

Back