• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Handbrake light on

My handbrake light is constantly on, i've had new rear discs, pads, calipers and handbrake cables installed, my mechanic has said that the handbrake switch is fine and the plug in the brake fluid reservoir is ok. The brake fuild level is at max level.

Could someone help me with this please as i'm stuck as to what to do next.

Thanks

Is this on an ep3? If so, the light is just in a little earth switch so when the handbrake lever is pulled, a switch gives the light and earth and it comes on. Sounds like it has a permanent earth, so I'd remove the center console and check the switch and wiring close by.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

As a side note, the light has only been on since your recent repair work on the brakes?

If so, it's more likely to be a fluid level issue. Do the floats stick in the reservoir?

Thanks it is an EP3 the light was on previously for a while, not sure what you mean about floats in the reservoir?

Ah okay, if the light was on previously then it's unrelated to the repair work. To sense the level of the fluid there is a float in the reservoir, when this drops it puts the low fluid light on. If the float sticks then the light won't work correctly.

I'd start by removing the centre console which it's pretty straight forward and disconnect the plug for the switch and see if it goes off. I've got the opposite issue, mine is always off! Yet to find the cause for that.

Take the centre console off (2 screws) and check the micro switch is aligned and working correctly on the handbrake?

Back