• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 GAP Insurance (plus alloy)

Was just looking at this and was looking at a couple of the sites mentioned on here. totallossgap in particular.

It mentions that the car must be on glass's guide but I've never heard of that before.

Bit of googling tells me its a car valuation site but the site itself now directs you to autotrader. The issue then being is, the type-r doesn't seem to be on their list.

Where are people going for their GAP insurance and also alloy cover (after being told at the last moment that the dealer don't do it for the type-r. grrr)

Cheers

took out Hondas Gap insurance....plus SmartRepair....plus lifeshine.....just glad they didn't mention the carbon bits...

Alloys, no insurance. If (and no doubt when), I will prob take to Dream as they could refurb the Fk2

Honda's GAP is way too expensive.

£500 vs totalgaploss that'll do it for £156

they also will do alloy cover for £189 not as good as the cover honda did but then they don't do it at all any more for the fk8 so /shrug

Not worried about stone chips (know a friendly painter) and tbf, I'll just wax it myself.

Did just go for the service pack though. will pay for itself in 2 years; makes sense.

Is it blanket alloy cover though? I read on here about not a lot of repairers touching them due to Magnesium composition, plus that red piping

Honda ended up replacing them instead of repairing them so that's why they cancelled the offer (again, just repeating knowledge on here)

Don't know why they stopped it but that makes sense.. annoying though.

info from totallossgap https://totallossgap.co.uk/pdf/policy/88/Alloy Wheel Insurance - Terms and Conditions.pdf

the key thing that makes me think it's not worth is is the whole 'wear and tear' part not being covered. If I hit a pot hole or curb it then they should repair but chips and that over time it seems they won't. Almost makes me think I'll just pay the £60 and get them refurbed if and when I need it. Other options/number of callouts etc.. are no where near as good as the Honda one was :(

I'm thinking of going for totallossgap for 5 years, seems reasonable priced.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I had a recent post where I put some evidence together about the alloys here which overwhelmingly pointed towards being Alu:

https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/...nd-the-myths&p=1356149&viewfull=1#post1356149

I did however get shot down by a couple of FK2 owners stating the Mag metal reference was marked on the box.

I've since spoken to a dealer who state there is no mag in the FK8 alloys and they would cost around a grand each if they did as they are still only used for very high end sports cars and racing applications.

Weight of wheels are 29 lbs/13kg, but compared to other aftermarket 20", are quite heavy and so if mag was in the composition it wasn't to save weight.
FK2 wheels are 26 lbs/12kg again at the heavier end of what's out there.

Back