• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

What did you do to your Type R today?

Washed the car and found out that due to the roadworks everywhere now my car has hundreds, if not thousands, of little tar spots. Any recommendations on how to get rid of them without damaging the paint?

Also TarX and Oblitarate. My preference is TRIX which is a tar and iron remover. Spray and leave for a few minutes. Just don’t let it dry.

I’ve found Autoglym good only for removing the odd tar spots as it’s not a spray.

IronX as another option, makes your car look like a raspberry ripple (if you have a CW) but washes away with the slightest touch of your sheepskin mitt

Yes, but neither as it happens.....went with a complete change/upgrade to Audi.
My FK8 was actually pre sold for £29995 by the supplying dealer who got it back. Both dealers are at opposite sides of the same city. :)

Shame that, hopefully you don't regret selling up, reckon you'll definitely miss the head turns though :)

Shame that, hopefully you don't regret selling up, reckon you'll definitely miss the head turns though :)
The FK8 definitely attracts attention...which can be a good and a bad thing. I originally bought it purely because of its looks and I still think it looks amazing.
The S3 is much more understated, although if pushed considerably faster off the line. It just suits my everyday driving style better than the FK8.
One thing the FK8 will never be beaten on are its seats.....they are the most comfortable and supportive of any seats I have ever sat in. :cool:

This is a good site with a lot of good people, most of whom I have enjoyed talking to and consider a select few to be friends(the ones I have spoken to more than others so should be easy to work out), however there has been 2 during my time here that for some reason decided to make things difficult for me, and I got no support from the site management over it either.
That's life though, I wont be dwelling on it. :)

The FK8 definitely attracts attention...which can be a good and a bad thing. I originally bought it purely because of its looks and I still think it looks amazing.
The S3 is much more understated, although if pushed considerably faster off the line. It just suits my everyday driving style better than the FK8.
One thing the FK8 will never be beaten on are its seats.....they are the most comfortable and supportive of any seats I have ever sat in. :cool:

This is a good site with a lot of good people, most of whom I have enjoyed talking to and consider a select few to be friends(the ones I have spoken to more than others so should be easy to work out), however there has been 2 during my time here that for some reason decided to make things difficult for me, and I got no support from the site management over it either.
That's life though, I wont be dwelling on it. :)

Ron,I hope you enjoy the S3,I'm quite familiar with it because my daughter had a current model which she has just changed to a TTS convertible,which is of course very similar mechanically.
Really nice,classy cars and feel very safe when using the power because of the 4wd.I actually prefer them to the fast versions of the BMW 1/2 series cars.
With the type R I don't worry about reliability issues as long as the warranty lasts but,which is definitely an age thing with me,I also feel it is rather wasted because I will never use it to its potential because being an old git I don't drive as fast as I did 20 years ago when I had TVRs...although to some extent current UK road conditions play a part in this.
So the 300+ hp is also wasted on me...and I suspect with others on here the amount of time they can spend with their foot to the floor,when not on a track or in Germany,is limited to a just a handful of seconds.
The R is still a fantastic car and I am keeping mine for the moment but the plan next year might be to swap it for a new family estate...Octavia vRS perhaps.
The R is the second limited use car and perhaps the direct replacement for that will be a GT86...as you will gather from the above 200hp is probably enough for me!

Anyway I'm hanging about on here for some time yet and hope to see you around too.

....... I wasn't using the car to a fraction of its potential either

I also feel it is rather wasted because I will never use it to its potential because being an old git I don't drive as fast as I did 20 years ago when I had TVRs...although to some extent current UK road conditions play a part in this.

I can associate with these views soooooooo much :)

Since getting the MY HONDA dongle fitted to the car I seem to be driving like a nun on the way to choir practice (other religions are available) and seeing how good a score I can get for being a saintly driver. I could probably cope with 200 bhp less :)

Similarly, my wee MX5 has a fuel-economy display and recently I've been feeling fairly chuffed with myself trying to keep the mpg up over 45.

Sad..... but true :D

Well all the best Ron! The S3 is a great car I am sure...I am not going to mention the words 'Too Subtle' or 'looks like an 'S-line' :p

Its been entertaining...! I am sure the S3 owners forum are a bit more sensible than us lot...

Fitted a proper TPMS system. One that might even give me a hint that a pothole on the M8 has destroyed my tyre, rather than leaving me stranded on the hard shoulder of the M80 at midnight.....

If anyone is interested it is a TyrePal.
Ordered online from their website for around 100GBP. See https://www.tyrepal.co.uk/product/solar-colour/

Works a treat. In fact I would recommend it for everyone.

The attached pic was taken when I first installed it, then cranked up my pressures so that I could (a) adjust them down to what was needed; and (b) check the readings. I'm happy to say that the readings are spot on when checked against two separate handheld pressure gauges, so I'm quite happy to rely 100% on this neat little device.
Probably the only downside is the fact that the sensors sit on the valves (rather than inside the tyre), so could be nicked by some thieving little scrote if they (a) knew to take them; (b) thought they were worth anything; (c) happened to have a small spanner to undo the locking nut.
On the flip side, installation is a scoosh and if they do get nicked you can order replacement sets from the website.

MThZx1SHPbxfpx3AA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eHspWPikxVHZwTdn6

Honestly, no car should be without this little gadget.

Neil

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for that very interesting indeed

Can you take a pic of the dust cap sensors fitted? just concerned they look a bit chunky

They are a bit smaller than the size of a 20p piece in diameter.
And they have a protective rubber sleeve which means they taper quite neatly from valve to sensor. They don’t look obvious or out of place unless you know to look for them.

I’ll take a pic next time I’m out at the car.
N.

sound great, thanks

All four of my £5 Ebay Honda specials fused themselves to the valve itself, would not budge at all by hand. Finally got them off with two sets of pliers, being careful not to Sh&g the valves but the dust caps didn't fare so well.....

sound great, thanks

All four of my £5 Ebay Honda specials fused themselves to the valve itself, would not budge at all by hand. Finally got them off with two sets of pliers, being careful not to Sh&g the valves but the dust caps didn't fare so well.....

The ol' metal reaction strikes again. Smear some copper grease on, should stop it happening again.

might have my metals wrong, but isn't it because those £5 specials have steel caps which will eventually rust - whereas normal good quality valve caps should have some form of brass lining?

Fitted a proper TPMS system. One that might even give me a hint that a pothole on the M8 has destroyed my tyre, rather than leaving me stranded on the hard shoulder of the M80 at midnight.....

If anyone is interested it is a TyrePal.
Ordered online from their website for around 100GBP. See https://www.tyrepal.co.uk/product/solar-colour/

Works a treat. In fact I would recommend it for everyone.

The attached pic was taken when I first installed it, then cranked up my pressures so that I could (a) adjust them down to what was needed; and (b) check the readings. I'm happy to say that the readings are spot on when checked against two separate handheld pressure gauges, so I'm quite happy to rely 100% on this neat little device.
Probably the only downside is the fact that the sensors sit on the valves (rather than inside the tyre), so could be nicked by some thieving little scrote if they (a) knew to take them; (b) thought they were worth anything; (c) happened to have a small spanner to undo the locking nut.
On the flip side, installation is a scoosh and if they do get nicked you can order replacement sets from the website.

MThZx1SHPbxfpx3AA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eHspWPikxVHZwTdn6

Honestly, no car should be without this little gadget.

Neil

This is an incredible little find, my drive way is a pig to get on and off, numerous scrapes in my old FN because of a slight dip in tyre pressure not noticeable enough to spot but enough to drop the ride hight enough to make contact when moving over the crest of our driveway (goes slightly up from the road, over said crest and then driveway is slanted down to the house) easily avoidable if I bothered to get pressure gauge out my work van but not being digital probably not the most reliable, I’m so protective of my new (to me) FK, so this is going to be purchased over the weekend possibly, cheers for the share and mini review Neil!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

might have my metals wrong, but isn't it because those £5 specials have steel caps which will eventually rust - whereas normal good quality valve caps should have some form of brass lining?

In certain cases even brass can cause issues, as it can for example react with ally valves used in direct TPMS systems, so being the opposite of what occurred to Fan above. Indeed TyrePal say as such in their help panel "Don't the external sensors corrode?".

Back