• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

What did you do to your Type R today?

Would love to do Romania but not on this trip.

Not sure exactly what cars are coming as couple of them have several cars, but suspect Ferrari 430 Scuderia, AMG Merc GTR, 675LT, RS4, Cobra and my FK8.

Some serious cars, Would still take the RS4 or FK8 out of the lot ...

Going to meet a guy who has done a 4WD conversion on an FK8 ... when I head to TDI North in October to see what it is like ... would complete the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some serious cars, Would still take the RS4 or FK8 out of the lot ...

Going to meet a guy who has done a 4WD conversion on an FK8 ... when I head to TDI North in October to see what it is like ... would complete the car.

I’d worry about how the additional weight of the system would impact the handling and performance, in many ways I think this is why the Focus RS suffered. Nevertheless would be interested to see and drive.

I’d worry about how the additional weight of the system would impact the handling and performance, in many ways I think this is why the Focus RS suffered. Nevertheless would be interested to see and drive.

One of my first project cars was a 1.8T Leon ... I did a 4WD conversion on it and with time and effort (6 weeks off the road) the system was flawless ... it was like the Audi equivalent with Quattro.

I am hoping that 9 years later the conversions of today will be better with no impact to the rear seat area as it was then.

Get him on here, would love to know more

I will certainly try ...

Being a VAG (now converted Honda) Nut I have got some big guns on some forums in the past, 4WD has been a big thing for SEAT and Skoda as they don’t get it, but if the systems works I think it will be a thing for a few people on here!!

Repaired the front passenger side alloy. Wife parked up on Sunday in heavy rain where they had been laying fibre cables and some of the loose stones chipped the outer edge.

5 minutes with some fine sand paper and black Hammerite and it's as good as new again :)

2 coats of 9H and one coat of 3.5h ceramic coating applied and it’s poppin’!

Needs a couple days in the garage to fully harden then a final topper to be applied.

Should have her back Wednesday :D

2 coats of 9H and one coat of 3.5h ceramic coating applied and it’s poppin’!

Needs a couple days in the garage to fully harden then a final topper to be applied.

Should have her back Wednesday :D
Looks A1 that! Not sure I'd have the patience, a coat of fusso is about my limit

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I’ve got the patience, just not the time, the gear or the garage! It’s a mate who’s done it all for me.
He’s just been finishing up on the blacks this evening.
Main reasons for me having this done was just to try and keep it looking sharp with minimal cleaning effort. It becomes so hydrophobic the washing process is supposed to be a doddle. It just so happens it looks pretty good too!

I’ve got the patience, just not the time, the gear or the garage! It’s a mate who’s done it all for me.
He’s just been finishing up on the blacks these evening.
Main reasons for me having this done was just to try and keep it looking sharp with minimal cleaning effort. It becomes so hydrophobic the washing process is supposed to be a doddle. It just so happens it looks pretty good too!

My paint is pretty spotless and swirl free at the minute so leaving it as long as possible before getting the clay bar and dual action on it. Usually just do a chemical decon, hand polish and fusso every 6 months. Will probably bite the bullet and get it booked in for a coating once the paint starts to swirl though, especially after seeing this!

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Something I have not really considered in past cars, but how much would you be looking to pay for a job like that? It makes the paint work look amazing.

On a new/almost new car expect to pay a professional detailer around £500 for a premium ceramic. It’s worth buying the best product you can as the majority of the cost is labour. A cheaper coating you may get done for £350 but that will last 2 years tops. I went for carbon collective pro range which will see you through 5 to even 7 years if well maintained.
On an older car expect to pay more as it’s the paint correction which you’re paying more for.
That’s the most vital stage though. Flawless paint first then ceramic over the top locks that finish in and enhances shine

Last edited by a moderator:
On a new/almost new car expect to pay a professional detailer around £500 for a premium ceramic. It’s worth buying the best product you can as the majority of the cost is labour. A cheaper coating you pay get done for £350 but that will last 2 years tops. I went for carbon collective pro range which will see you through 5 to even 7 years.
On an older car expect to pay more as it’s the paint correction which you’re paying more for.
That’s the most vital stage though. Flawless paint first then ceramic over the top locks that finish in and enhances shine

Honestly, did not like the white of the FK8 when I bought it. But really starting to love it ... and the gloss on this is lush and what I was thinking of paying for a wrap I fancy getting this done

CW has more depth to it than some of the brighter whites for sure. Almost a pearl. Similar to a shade you’ll find some of the exotic car manufacturers use.

You're looking just shy of a grand for a professional ceramic coating, pending on stages of polishing required.
They look good but can be a problem when washing, especially in the sun, the ceramic disperses water that quick the shampoo dries pretty quickly leaving unsightly water marks everywhere and being white you only see them in certain light but on the black parts is obvious.
To remove water marks on ceramic coatings you need a ceramic friendly water mark remover, Kamikaze was the only one I could find when I needed it.
Ceramic also doesn't stop chipping,
Even though mine is still shining 4 years in, looking back I should have put the money towards a self healing gloss clear wrap

while I had Gtechniq Ceramic Crystal Serum Ultra on my new FK8, my original FK8 (R-03344) (see video here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBUW6-bn7fE and pics below had the ENREI KAMIKAZE coating....did a brilliant job taking the swirls out of the gloss back trim. see pics #2 and #3 below;

https://www.detailyoureyecandy.co.u...l-with-kamikaze-collection-enrei-and-xpel-ppf

definitely worth a chat with Elliot at DYEC if you're thinking of showing your car some PPF and Ceramic love. My PPF is the XPEL self-healing kind that amazingly repairs itself under heat.... watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi86JOqiq2Q

Last edited by a moderator:
PPF is the one remaining thing I’d like to do as paint protection just in a couple of high wear zones. Skirts and the flat top area of the rear bumper where the boot shuts. No idea where there is local to me in South Wales or how much I should be expecting to pay.

Looking at what some people in the states were paying on PPF I think I’d be doing it sparingly. I’ve seen them forking out $4 - 5k for covering everything which seems crazy!

The big plus for me on the ceramic is the UV protection it offers as I don’t have a garage. Won’t be washing the car for a couple weeks now to be sure everything is good and set but will let people know how I find it to maintain.

Back