• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

What did you do to your Type R today?

20af2b655d6ff5e0dcacc533d81eea67.heic

I have one on order too.

Stu how are you finding the project mu pads? My DS2500s still have a bit of a squealy chirp pulling up time to time I'd like to get rid of (probably just dirty/dusty to be fair but still..)

Last couple of days I've been looking around for options and was intrigued by the project mu's low noise claim. Was looking at the more street based NS400s.

I have no desire to do any trackdays so don't need anything too aggressive.

Do you reckon they'd a good thing to try?

Cleaned roxy tonight....well tried to get my mitt in between the constant dive bombing flying ants landing on my paintwork...never seen the like of it. Not sure cos it's white, or the products I was using,or cos it's like tropical thunder out there but the body count was high....

Cleaned roxy tonight....well tried to get my mitt in between the constant dive bombing flying ants landing on my paintwork...never seen the like of it. Not sure cos it's white, or the products I was using,or cos it's like tropical thunder out there but the body count was high....

must be the "creaminess" in the CW colour mate, either that or the wax you are using is particularly sweet tasting (tempted as you might be please don't lick the car to find out :lol:).

Our running club wears yellow vests and at the moment we seems to spend all our time running away from these annoying bugs that are seemingly attracted to yellowy/green hues.

that Jason, HondaPro (if you're in the know) might be in for a shock when he rolls out that custom coloured car of his and finds it's not quite a babe magnet but a bug magnet :)

I really wonder if it was worth it for HondaPro Jason you know....I know the importance of Phoenix Yellow blah blah bah, but I am not bowled over by the colour, have seen better wraps, and he literally had every nut and bolt taken off for it....then put back together. I don't care how good the body shop is, that thing must be creaking and rattling like a Pirate Ship...

I thought HondaPro's was the first FK8 'painted' Phoenix Yellow?

I think i have 3 yellow FK8's on my Instagram feed now. But wrapped yellow. All in 'Murrica.

Last edited by a moderator:
correct, first one painted custard

If I had the spondoolies think Id wrap mine Nardo Grey

In other news due to new emissions testing the Golf R has dropped from 310 bhp to 300 - I wonder if this will affect future Fk8s or maybe its cos the engine in the Golf is 34 years old...

My mate has his Golf R tuned to 400bhp, simply done with better intake, intercooler, full exhaust and stage 2 tune. Engine seems strong as an ox. Anyway, he's upgraded the brakes to TT RS discs and callipers, and braided lines which brings me to my point...

The Golf R standard brakes are downright dangerous for a 310bhp or 300bhp hot hatch.

Before he upgraded them, we did a 70mph to hard stop test side by side. I stopped hard but easily, his Golf kept going an additional 4.5 car lengths. And it was scary how it weaved side-to-side whilst doing so.

VW really need to address the Golf R's brakes before anything else. Or put the podgy thing on a crash diet.

FYI We performed the same test after brake upgrade and both cars basically now stop the same.

Moral of the story, never brake hard with a Golf behind you. He'll be in you if you do.

Wowsers, Interesting you say that as I was always put off by the brakes on the R as just looking at them the callipers didn't look adequate. I thought though with the back double vented and 4wd it was probably more of a group effort :D. They gave the Clubsport better ones, and now they are options on the Golf R Performance pack, but thanks for the tip!

Most R's just attempt to smash me off the lights...which they would do of course. I have to say since September, I have traffic light grand prix once, this really isn't the car for it.

Yeah always faster off the line. Obviously.

We've played around a lot with the two cars side by side. Brake tests. 0-60's. 30-70. 0-1XX etc.

Once up to 30mph or with rolling starts there's absolutely nothing in it. Even with the lightning fast VAG DSG box.
The Civic pulls faster and stronger in gear than the standard Golf R. It's the faster car. You lose advantage during Ninjutsu style gear changes. The Golf DSG pulls forward by an inch or two each gear change as it's relentless. Then the Civic engages gear and pulls back level. The Type R only starts pulling a lead out on the Golf beyond 90mph. Probably due to the weight advantage.

Obviously the Civic is also better anywhere it's not straight.

The Golf really has one purpose. Traffic light GP's (and when it's wet the Golf's faster).

We drive together regularly and in reality there's nothing between the Golf R and Type R in real world legal driving. You like one or you like the other. The Type R's better ***. Obviously.

Last edited by a moderator:
very true over 90mph the type r pulls away fairly easily ive found. it can corner a lot harder and brake a lot later too. The golf r's round my way have all learnt that the type r is much quicker in the real world, than the figures on paper suggest. As have the M140i drivers too :)

Having owned a BMW M240i for 18 months I would say it's easily faster than an FK8 in any sort of straight line acceleration. You have pretty much an instant 500 Nm of torque and 340 HP delivered at lower RPM than in the FK8.

On any sort of twisty route the roles are reversed for your average enthusiast driver as the BMW chassis and damping leave a fair bit to be desired.

not just twistys, the m140i cant take roundabouts or sweeping slip roads at anywhere near the type r pace in my experience.

They are terrible on roundabouts - the standard open diff and LSD only available as a dealer fit really hurts.

My mate has his Golf R tuned to 400bhp, simply done with better intake, intercooler, full exhaust and stage 2 tune. Engine seems strong as an ox. Anyway, he's upgraded the brakes to TT RS discs and callipers, and braided lines which brings me to my point...

The Golf R standard brakes are downright dangerous for a 310bhp or 300bhp hot hatch.

Before he upgraded them, we did a 70mph to hard stop test side by side. I stopped hard but easily, his Golf kept going an additional 4.5 car lengths. And it was scary how it weaved side-to-side whilst doing so.

VW really need to address the Golf R's brakes before anything else. Or put the podgy thing on a crash diet.

FYI We performed the same test after brake upgrade and both cars basically now stop the same.

Moral of the story, never brake hard with a Golf behind you. He'll be in you if you do.

KNow if Audi S3's use the same set up? (admittedly 2014 S3)

Back