• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Dash cam

Hello all,my first ever post on here.picking up my new car in 2weeks,championship white fk2 gt model(can't wait)
My main question this time though is about a dash cam,has anyone got one,what do you recommend,are they easy to hardwire in,is it best to hardwire in or just use the cigarette lighter?any other advice would be great also.thinking of getting one as it reduces the insurance premium £40 and plus it's a bonus in case of anyone trying to pull a fast one,fingers crossed that never happens though!!
Ps sorry if it's a little long winded over a dash cam thread!

There's only a few models that insurance companies accept to lower your policies. I know the nextbase one's get good reviews, depends what features you want to what model you get. Also then would decide if you hardwired or not depending if you want parking protection etc

Keep meaning to but for some reason I haven't bothered.

Mine would be more for peace of mind than lowering insurance, I probably won't even inform them until needed

Black Friday is upon us soon so might be worth purchasing then

Thanks for the replies both of you,I've been looking at the thinkware f770,seems like it has all the features,and it's not bad at £193.one of the main reasons for this one also is it's slim discreet design,I don't want one that looks like a camcorder stuck to the window!

Hello all,my first ever post on here.picking up my new car in 2weeks,championship white fk2 gt model(can't wait)
My main question this time though is about a dash cam,has anyone got one,what do you recommend,are they easy to hardwire in,is it best to hardwire in or just use the cigarette lighter?any other advice would be great also.thinking of getting one as it reduces the insurance premium £40 and plus it's a bonus in case of anyone trying to pull a fast one,fingers crossed that never happens though!!
Ps sorry if it's a little long winded over a dash cam thread!

I have the Nextbase Dash Cam 212 not yet installed it i brought the hard wire kit for it
they have other models which are good quality dash cam
nextbase have quite good reviews on them

Was it easy to fit or would you recommend getting a professional company yo do it,I've seen it advertised for £50,would you save the money or for £50 get it done?

I thought it was pretty easy to be honest, but I did buy wire, bullet connectors and crimpers to put it on the option connector, which I've only used once and probably came to £20odd, so it's up to you really.

On the fuse box under the dash there is a socket for a connector. Pins the have different outputs. You can either use a spade connector on the pins or buy the socket. A chap on Civinfo sells them.

Outputs are here:

9th-gen-option-connector.png

You also need to add a fuse in slot 1 for the constant +12V to work.

Thread with some info here: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how-guides-only/64072-how-use-tap-into-fuse-box-option-connector.html

There's only a few models that insurance companies accept to lower your policies. I know the nextbase one's get good reviews, depends what features you want to what model you get. Also then would decide if you hardwired or not depending if you want parking protection etc

That's right Nextbase Dash Cams have the best reviews on them
They have a amazing feature where if someones hit you the dash cam will automatically save that file/video

I'm using a transcend drivepro 100 and it does that to, I think quite a lot of cameras now have a G sensor

ive got two next base one 312 in my fn2 ,one 412 in the wifes cooper s both hard wired in by me very easy to do just find a live feed in fuse box which come on and off when to turn off and on ,the other one to earth I used a bolt to the body, hope it makes sence

ive got two next base one 312 in my fn2 ,one 412 in the wifes cooper s both hard wired in by me very easy to do just find a live feed in fuse box which come on and off when to turn off and on ,the other one to earth I used a bolt to the body, hope it makes sence

I'm looking to do this on the weekend :D

Do you think hard wiring it up to a constant 12v feed would be a bad idea for the battery?mainly wanting to hard wire it in for the parking mode that it has

Do you think hard wiring it up to a constant 12v feed would be a bad idea for the battery?mainly wanting to hard wire it in for the parking mode that it has
Wiring tot a constant 12v will cause battery issues. Maybe not short term but if the vehicle was left for a few days chances are the battery will be dead.
The camera should use its internal battery for the parking mode.

Wiring tot a constant 12v will cause battery issues. Maybe not short term but if the vehicle was left for a few days chances are the battery will be dead.
The camera should use its internal battery for the parking mode.

I'll be driving the car daily,and plus with the thinkware f770 you can set a voltage for it to cut off at,so I'm thinking if I set it to cut off at 12v all should be fine

Back