• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How do you clean the engine bay?

How do you clean an engine bay? Just a basic clean, not full on valet spotless detail?

First time i've popped the hood in 6 months and it's a bit nasty under there.

I'm guessing pointing the hose at it is not a good idea.

You can jet wash engine bays but don’t be too aggressive with it. Obviously don’t point it directly at electrical connectors and the air intake.
After washing allow some water to drain off for 5-10 mins. Ideally it’s best to use compressed air to dry the engine bay if you have access to it.
Start engine and let idle for again another 5-10 mins and then you should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to spray mine with engine cleaning. Agitate with a brush and rinse (gently) whilst being careful of electrics.

The key is keeping on top of it so it never gets too bad. Just combine it into your normal wash routine.

There are two ways one's quicker than the other but prep first use cling film as mentioned above to cover some electrics sensors etc you can use foil on top of cling film too for added security.

Next use a normal hose or if you got a spray head attachment even better as it's a slow rinse off like a shower then, so rinse first then use a engine cleaner and spray liberally (could use Meguiars, autoglym, Gunk) I tend to do half the engine then repeat. Agitate with a brush then rinse. Repeat the other half. Dry as thoroughly as you can with an old microfiber or cloth, I have a blow dryer which is fantastic for this also. Then make sure you take off the foil and/or cling film.

Other way takes longer but good if your worried about using a hose, get a bucket of water and a few old rags/cloths, because you won't be soaking the engine as long as your careful there will be no need to use cling film unless you want to. Dampen engine with damp cloth, spray your cleaner on, agitate and use a damp cloth to remove, then dry. Again do half at a time.

It's a good idea then to use a engine bay dresser then. Shine's things up and protects a bit making cleaning easier next time. Personally I would avoid a pressure washer just use a normal hose.

So you will basically need:
Hose (Spray attachment if you have one) or bucket of water depending of method.
Plenty of old rags/microfibers/cloths.
Soft wheel brush/detailing brush an old toothbrush is also good for small spaces.
Cleaning product (Meguiars engine cleaner/Autoglym engine cleaner/Gunk engine cleaner) Try and use a water based cleaner.
Engine dresser (Meguiars engine dresser/Autoglym vinyl and rubber care) both good products.

So get your hands dirty and good luck lol.
Should turn out like this, my 2004 EP3 ;)
429545182d468a45ccdf19761366081ad83f9ed05fbe29d1e2a635f22ce0004450f4a07c.jpg

Back