• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Keyless relay attack

Not what you want to be thinking about when you just got your first keyless vehicle, but there has been a lot of attention on this recently.

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/ca...s-target-keyless-entry-cars-with-relay-attack

I have seen several videos now, most recent I think on BBC news and I have just been passed a facebook post showing someone just lost their BMW overnight without the keys - just around the corner from me!

I have a background in electronics and can appreciate how this works, but I also know some cars deal with this better in software, and its also possible to use radio pulse tech to measure the true distance between the key and the car.

I guess what I really want to know without building one of these kits is, is the FK8 vulnerable to this attack? Does anyone know? I am guessing so thus I now keep the keys in a radio proof box! I don't want to be putting a steering lock on every 5 mins so my thinking is (for this kind of attack only) - secure the key, but it would be nice to understand if I need to do this or not.

For the risk of them taking the key, thats a different one all together IMO..

They seem to target Ford's ST models, or that's what I seem to hear about more than anything else really.

They seem to target Ford's ST models, or that's what I seem to hear about more than anything else really.

This is a different style of theft, they plug a reader into the OBD port and can then silence the alarm and fire up the engine.

Agreed. Familiar with those kind of OBD attacks, but for that you need to be inside the vehicle already, after which point its pretty much fair game anyway. If you are inside, there are many options.

The keyless vulnerability is more worrying because a lot of people keep their keys away from the car, but within easy reach of an amplified signal. It would also be very straight forward to perform the same trick when you were out with the car, say in a restaurant, as long as you were able to identify the owner.

This was the recent video I saw..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-42132804/relay-crime-theft-caught-on-camera

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, thieves are professionals these days. They’ll take your car anyway regardless how hard you make it.

If you have keyless then it seems a decent steering wheel security device is needed which cancels out any time saving made not having to use keys.

If they’re going to pinch the car, then they’re going to pinch it.
Better to have them do it without entering your house and baseball batting you across your head for the keys.
However, I do have a faraday wallet

If they’re going to pinch the car, then they’re going to pinch it.
Better to have them do it without entering your house and baseball batting you across your head for the keys.
However, I do have a faraday wallet

I have to agree. Although I think there are different levels of risk from different types of people. For those that really want to take the car, agreed they will take it, and I have come to the conclusion it's best to let them, unless you get excited about the idea of possibly waking up to them in your bedroom, with your children in the house, as I think someone has already pointed out earlier. For this reason it seems a lot of people don't hide their keys, some protect them in Faraday wallets but leave said wallet in view in the hallway.

I think (and hope) that a lot of the people I hear trying cars for open doors at night, buying gadgets online to defeat entry systems etc are not necessarily the same kind of people that are happy with a confrontation or increasing their risk exposure. They are happy with us remaining asleep and using a silent and proven method and going undetected until it's too late. I hope these people will move on to another car when their method doesn't work and I think these opportunists are worth taking some precautions against.

It worries me a little that this casual approach to key relaying could also be used when I was out and about. For this reason I spent a lot of time thinking about the below:

If they do take the car, that doesn't mean it needs to disappear without a trace, or be able to drive very far. Just far enough so they don't run back!

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think most people rely too little on physical security. So many valuable cars left on open driveways, or on the road.

I put my trust in gates, walls, garage doors, floodlights etc.

Is there any real incentive for manufacturers to beef up security ?

Each one that is stolen probably ends up with them selling another one via insurance :can of worms:

Only if it's sufficiently new or there's enough money (or a GAP policy) around to make up the shortfall. Plus it'll get hammered on insurance rates - remember the sky-high policies on hot hatches, Cosworths et al in the late 80s and early 90's.

That would certainly put a dent in the desirability.

Personally I think most people rely too little on physical security. So many valuable cars left on open driveways, or on the road.

I put my trust in gates, walls, garage doors, floodlights etc.
Not everyone has access to a garage and plenty of older properties that do have a garage, said garage is too small to accommodate a modern car.
I've always been lucky to have a driveway or specific parking but that is a luxury for some people.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I use a disclock and a faraday pouch.... when away on holiday I use a wheel clamp things you have to do to protect your pride and joy. I’ve come from a Focus RS which where going far to easy and also had a focus st stolen years ago. But they broke into house and took the keys.

Fords are always targeted this way, the new fiesta is the most targeted ford at the moment

This is a different style of theft, they plug a reader into the OBD port and can then silence the alarm and fire up the engine.

Also, the Fiesta is actually only the second most stolen vehicle in the UK. The Ford Transit comes in first, surprisingly!

Now I've got a new(ish) car I keep getting told to put my keys in the fridge!!

Got a steering lock that's normally on the car and it's in gated parking so fingers crossed.

You can do as much as you want but I think as long as it doesn't look easy then that's 95% of the job done.

Parents' neighbour has just bought one of the limited edition Focus RS'. Got a steering lock, car cover and 2 metal posts on his drive that he puts up when it's parked. I guess it's only getting out with some sort of crane or forklift.

Thought I'd bump this thread regards faraday bags - ensure you test them regularly
I am seeing numerous reports on Amazon and other forums that the bags stop working after a while (weeks, months).

Either get a bag with a decent guarantee
Or resort to a custom made shielding box, this looks good https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpha-Sh...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Or line the old useless bag with foil, might prolong the blocking properties
Or a biscuit tin lined in foil

Don't forget the spare key(s) needs protection separately, a bag might be fine as you aren't regularly taking it out so reducing wear/tear of the blocking fabric (or just take the battery out the spare)

Could it be reprogrammed so that once the key is out of range, or in this case the signal is lost, then the car would cut out?

I've heard people say it can be done on my swift. That needs a key nearby to open door and start it, but if the key then goes out of range it just keeps running, but some people change it so once key is out of range it cuts out the engine.

Back