• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 What and when to buy?

Still taking my time to decide...

Plenty of ex demos now,some sneaking below £30k even with a service plan.

Think I'll delay until the new year and then start phoning around.

On the one hand I don't feel I want a demo ragged around by 20 odd drivers,on the other hand I feel there ought now to be movement down from list for a brand new one.

Remaining indecisive until after Christmas...but still keen :cool:

I don't get the concern with ex demos, I know with the fk2 test drives dealers were very anal with test drives and even declined them, and most were told not to rag them

It depends whether it was accompanied or not generally.

My dealer was non-plussed when I took one out with 200 miles on clock and he was relaxed about me being...er...brisk ;). Hit the rev limiter a couple of times.

Also had a demo ride in one with 90 miles on clock...which I would personally steer clear of.

I would not feel comfortable about buying a demonstrator because you just don't know how it has been driven and whether or not it could cause a problem in later life while I still had it and probably out of warranty.
Look at it this way, I would not let anybody drive my own car and redline it...in fact I wouldn't let anybody drive my car at all. :D
This is just my own personal opinion and choice. :) Some people have no problem buying a demonstrator, and most will go on to have no problems at all.
Will be interesting to see how long it takes before dealers start discounting new cars.

A three month old ex-demo still comes with thirty three months of warranty, that you can extend. They are all Honda approved cars from a Honda main dealer.

Don't worry about it and go knock yourself out.

Hondas generally a built to take a thrashing, the pre-turbo K20s only started making decent power over six thousand RPM and you only got the best out of it wringing its neck. The Turbo cars have been engineered to have the same feel, and so reward being driven enthusiastically. I'd be more wary of garage queens in two or three years time that have only done four thousand miles a year, poor things.

An ex-demo has probably had just as much abuse as one thats been owned from new for a month. No?

An ex-demo has probably had just as much abuse as one thats been owned from new for a month. No?
I would say no because you treat your own brand new car with respect(or most people do anyway), whereas people driving a demo generally don't give a **** about it.

Buying on PCP could be an exception - see later post. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually know this dealer quite well having bought from/sold to him in the past,he's had this for quite a while now,and no hope of getting this price I think:
https://www.qualitycarstoday.co.uk/...-gt-physically-available-in-sheffield-6208935
With a list price of £33520 for that car(unless ive missed something), I would say £34900 is bordering on extortionate.
Also since when is 180 miles classed as "delivery mileage"? :rolleyes:
Still...there might be one idiot prepared to pay it. :lol:

No because you treat your own brand new car with respect(or most people do anyway), whereas people driving a demo generally don't give a **** about it.

Unless it has been bought on PCP like a lot of them will have been done. Three years then throw it back at the dealer.

Just like this example, check the date, posted 20th Jan 2016, car is a 65 plate, so in or after September 2015.

[video=youtube;mZyFFOzoiXg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZyFFOzoiXg[/video]

One careful owner

Unless it has been bought on PCP like a lot of them will have been done. Three years then throw it back at the dealer.
This is true. The majority of people who buy on PCP never own or have any intentions of owning the car, so will not have any care about mechanical sympathy due to it always being under warranty. This is potentially worrying for subsequent owners.
Of course there will always be exceptions to this, I am certainly not tarring everybody with the same brush. :) Some people pay the optional final payment and keep the car, but this is rare.
Outright car ownership is very much in the minority these days, but its the only way I have ever done it. Sure it probably costs me more money, but I like the feeling of actually owning my own car. :)

Just like this example, check the date, posted 20th Jan 2016, car is a 65 plate, so in or after September 2015.

[video=youtube;mZyFFOzoiXg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZyFFOzoiXg[/video]

From what I gather that was within 2 weeks of ownership, there's a few videos of him, the lad oozes prick, thankfully drives an amg now

This is true. The majority of people who buy on PCP never own or have any intentions of owning the car, so will not have any care about mechanical sympathy due to it always being under warranty. This is potentially worrying for subsequent owners.
Of course there will always be exceptions to this, I am certainly not tarring everybody with the same brush. :) Some people pay the optional final payment and keep the car, but this is rare.
Outright car ownership is very much in the minority these days, but its the only way I have ever done it. Sure it probably costs me more money, but I like the feeling of actually owning my own car. :)

I've done it once, will I do it again, probably not.
The only good thing for me was knowing the car has been well looked after and if it needed anything doing then it would be sorted there and then.
The major downside for me is the amount of money lost, webuyanycar offered me just shy of 19'000 this afternoon that's near a 17k loss in under 3 years.
If I'd waited a few months I could have got an ex demo and knocked a huge chunk out of my loan, bucket list ticked and lesson learnt :lol:

With a list price of £33520 for that car(unless ive missed something), I would say £34900 is bordering on extortionate.

I agree with your comment.

All you’d be doing is beating the circa 2 month waiting list for a second owner vehicle and paying a premium for it.

I've done it once, will I do it again, probably not.
The only good thing for me was knowing the car has been well looked after and if it needed anything doing then it would be sorted there and then.
The major downside for me is the amount of money lost, webuyanycar offered me just shy of 19'000 this afternoon that's near a 17k loss in under 3 years.
If I'd waited a few months I could have got an ex demo and knocked a huge chunk out of my loan, bucket list ticked and lesson learnt :lol:

What’s the mileage ?

It was just one of those bored Sunday moments, I noticed the fk8 seibon bonnets over on dream, then that link posted above started the itch.
I can't see anything happening till summer, I probably should have gone PCP from the start

I would say no because you treat your own brand new car with respect(or most people do anyway), whereas people driving a demo generally don't give a **** about it.

Buying on PCP could be an exception - see later post. ;)

But they have a dealer sat next to them to keep them controlled.

Some people don't give sh!t about their cars.

Back