• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 New FK8 owners Q&A - everything you want to know and dare to ask here

thanks mate, dealer just accepted to put a warranty claim forward for me. will keep you posted how I get on.......doubt they'll give me another new honda but a replacement badge and BTCC VIP tickets again would be nice :) :lol:

UPDATE: Honda UK accepted the warranty claim at the 2nd time of the dealer asking and I'm now booked in next week for the badge to be replaced. Originally Honda UK had declined the claim stating that a few of these have been caused by owners slamming the boot shut and using the H badge as the pressure point. It was then mentioned in a 2nd ask that I was the Customer with all those gearbox issues on the previous car, and DING, claim accepted.

I guess I kinda accept they can't pay-out for everything that Customers say "wasn't me" but where there's some known gremlins or defective parts it's all these little gripes that can be the difference whether someone buys their first or another new FK8 in the future.

Deary me, you're bang on with little things like this that cause a customer not to stick with the brand...Of course people use the H to grip, I certainly do (although I don't slam it)…

Refusal to fit my pollen filter as it was 'too early' on my second service (June vs July) is a pain as well..

Deary me, you're bang on with little things like this that cause a customer not to stick with the brand...Of course people use the H to grip, I certainly do (although I don't slam it)…

Refusal to fit my pollen filter as it was 'too early' on my second service (June vs July) is a pain as well..

truth is I think it's all car manufacturers these days. penny pinching at every possibility and warranty departments "incentivised" to decline as many claims as possible.

I had a "injector recall" on my A3 2.0TDI Quattro, 4 weeks after it being done oil was ****ing out of the top of the block from the rocker cover they removed when doing the work. Audi Sales manager apologised massively and explained that Audi UK refused to include in the recall kit a new rocker gasket. So yes, they were literally re-using and screwing the rocker down with the original gasket. Worst of all he said it was a £8 part but of course Audi wanted to save the pennies where they could.

Sadly for him he now had lost 4 hours of mechanics' time refitting my rocker with a new gasket and had a year 1 apprentice cleaning the block and undertrays.

....put simply, they don't make Cars like they used to (they are so technologically gizmo advanced these days) and the mindset of many is that a car is something they own for 3 years before flipping to the next one.

I "hope" to be in a position to own my FK8 beyond the 5 year servicing it came with.

UPDATE: Honda UK accepted the warranty claim at the 2nd time of the dealer asking and I'm now booked in next week for the badge to be replaced. Originally Honda UK had declined the claim stating that a few of these have been caused by owners slamming the boot shut and using the H badge as the pressure point. It was then mentioned in a 2nd ask that I was the Customer with all those gearbox issues on the previous car, and DING, claim accepted.

I guess I kinda accept they can't pay-out for everything that Customers say "wasn't me" but where there's some known gremlins or defective parts it's all these little gripes that can be the difference whether someone buys their first or another new FK8 in the future.

Missed the original issue.

I shut he boot lid by the internal handles.... but after 1000miles the side I use (right) has already broken..

UPDATE - new badge fitted yesterday. no easy task for the dealer (took about 2 hours) as the badge on the rear requires access from the outside rear upper section of the boot lid (i.e. the bit where I have my 'ring sticker and Type R badge). so lots of bits to take apart. including removing the lights directly below the pylons where the spoiler attaches.

new_honda_rear_badge_1.jpg

new_honda_badge.jpeg

certainly looks better than the old one;

cracked_H.jpeg

Hi All,

So my FK8 went for it's first service back in July. When I checked the oil on the dipstick when I got home it was the same colour as before. I have raised a complaint with the dealer about this and a few other things that I feel they are fobbing me off on. I have just had a reply from the service manager and he says......

"due to the vehicle having a Turbo when the engine oil is changed it is quite normal for the new oil to look black after the engine has been run."

Is this true? I've never owned a turbo car so I don't know. Google search is not very helpful.

IMO that is utter b0ll0x !

This scenario can easily occur on diesel engines but the oil in your car,after an oil change,should be that clear on the dipstick the level will be hard to read....

Happens on Evo's, you can't drain the oil from the oil cooler so it darkens pretty quickly.

Happens on Evo's, you can't drain the oil from the oil cooler so it darkens pretty quickly.
There is no "oil cooler" on a stock CTR

It uses an oil to water intercooler which is pretty effective, the downside is the heat from the oil goes into the coolant system which when driven hard can't cope.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no "oil cooler" on a stock CTR

It uses an oil to water intercooler which is pretty effective, the downside is the heat from the oil goes into the coolant system which when driven hard can't cope.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

if thats true, why hasnt anyone removed the oil/water cooler and gone to a dedicated air oil cooler? i'm not aware the FK2 has the oil/water cooler and we've no water temp issues even if an oil cooler is well worth fitting for track use.

but if the oil is going through the water cooler first, all the heat in the oil is going into coolant which (based on my own experience of the FK2) is likely the reason why theres so many coolant temp issues.

do the mishi and hks include a bypass in their kits?

Most engines have an oil/water heat exchanger.

If I ever go for an oil cooler it'll be run on a thermostat and I'd keep the heat exchanger, purely for the time it takes to get to operating temp. When they're removed it takes an age for the oil to get up to temperature.

Even with them it takes a surprisingly long time to warm up, a good 3 times longer than the coolant.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure whether this has been asked before but I do not have the time to look through 50 pages of questions and answers haha.

does anyone have a link to a video/page where it shows me how to set up Android Auto? I have no idea how to do it!! Thanks !

I'm not sure whether this has been asked before but I do not have the time to look through 50 pages of questions and answers haha.

does anyone have a link to a video/page where it shows me how to set up Android Auto? I have no idea how to do it!! Thanks !

All i did was download the app, turn on notifications, plugged it in and sync to the head unit. Just make sure to always remember it, then you don't have to do it again.

Can anyone help with the following -

I've just taken my car in for a service. Was a strange one as it went in for the yearly service in September and my total mileage is just under 15K. I wasn't sure why it was due and neither were the people at Honda in St Albans... They ended up telling me it was just an 'inspection service'... whatever that is. Anyway, since getting my car back I've also had 2 new front tyres put on and now the low pressure warning has come on. This is quite usual however when I go into settings to reset the tyre pressure like I normally do, all of the options to get into the car settings are greyed out and I cant access them. It's like I'm locked out. Does anyone know how I can access all the settings again??

Also a word of warning for anyone using Honda at St Albans - I was curious as to what they thought of my tyres as I knew they were low and I had already booked it in at a local ATS Euro to have new ones fitted later that day. Usually whenever they have a car in they will have a review of everything and let you know of any advisory type things but the guy gave me my key back and didn't mention them so I asked him 'were all the tyres ok?' He looked at the service technicians sheet and said, 'yep, all ok, you've got 4mm on the fronts.' I found this very very strange as after realising about a month ago I couldn't even put small amounts of power down without spinning all time, even in the dry, I checked them myself and saw that they were very low. Anyway, I told the people at ATS and they confirmed to me that my front tyres were so low they weren't legal and they couldn't believe Honda told me they were 4mm.

Sorry for the ramble, just thought I would warn people about potential incompetence at an official Honda Branch.

You have to be stationary with the parking brake on to reset iirc.

yep, and do the reset 3 times over to force a full recalibration to occur. you should then also plan a short 20-30 minute drive afterwards to allow the ECU to learn the new rotational properties of the new tyres.

Can anyone help with the following -

I've just taken my car in for a service. Was a strange one as it went in for the yearly service in September and my total mileage is just under 15K. I wasn't sure why it was due and neither were the people at Honda in St Albans... They ended up telling me it was just an 'inspection service'... whatever that is. Anyway, since getting my car back I've also had 2 new front tyres put on and now the low pressure warning has come on. This is quite usual however when I go into settings to reset the tyre pressure like I normally do, all of the options to get into the car settings are greyed out and I cant access them. It's like I'm locked out. Does anyone know how I can access all the settings again??

Also a word of warning for anyone using Honda at St Albans - I was curious as to what they thought of my tyres as I knew they were low and I had already booked it in at a local ATS Euro to have new ones fitted later that day. Usually whenever they have a car in they will have a review of everything and let you know of any advisory type things but the guy gave me my key back and didn't mention them so I asked him 'were all the tyres ok?' He looked at the service technicians sheet and said, 'yep, all ok, you've got 4mm on the fronts.' I found this very very strange as after realising about a month ago I couldn't even put small amounts of power down without spinning all time, even in the dry, I checked them myself and saw that they were very low. Anyway, I told the people at ATS and they confirmed to me that my front tyres were so low they weren't legal and they couldn't believe Honda told me they were 4mm.

Sorry for the ramble, just thought I would warn people about potential incompetence at an official Honda Branch.

Honda Bushey told me I had 70% of my front discs left...which actually was higher than the previous service :D. The oil life dictates a separate service maybe, as I had that in Feb, and I expect to go back in April. I nearly bought my ep3 from St.Albans. The very keen sales guy was mortified when i had to let him know I got it from Chiswick in the end.

I am only in Watford, so maybe see you around..!

Back