• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 New FK8 owners Q&A - everything you want to know and dare to ask here

Hmm, so you got a MY18.....nearly half way through 19! Yeah don't let it bother you it's really not a big deal....if the MY19 had come with 20 bhp more then I'd be kicking off

Yeah, not too fussed. Given the deal i got on it too, i'm not going to complain :lol:

Out of interest, does anyone have pictures of what they are doing with the infotainment system/climate controls? Had a little trawl online and couldn't see anything. I like the clean look of the system as is and too many dials might make it a bit fussy?

Either way, love the car!!

Horrible IMO, and screen seems smaller now

2019-honda-civic-type-r-103-1541091221.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks

Pretty chuffed with what i've got if thats where its going, so sounds like I timed that quite well!!

That CRV one is a little better, but i guess i like the clean look of the screen and the two climate knobs.

other snippets of info they shared with me are;

there is a plan for a lightweight version of the Type R. they had considered and maybe still have in the pipeline plans for a higher-powered version and 4wd version, but next new edition will be lightweight focussed.

there are some updated revisions like new front and rear bumper layout and a "more discreet" rear spoiler but Honda are making adjustments to the roof area near the vortex generators to ensure the new less discreet spoiler still offers the downforce benefit and is not just there for effect. this sounds like the car being spotted around the 'ring.

the update on the front parking sensors is still "in progress" for the FK8, there is a FK7 (non-type R) update to the piano blank area of the front bumper (surrounding the "H") however based on the initial versions the dealer has seen for the Normal Civic they are not so impressed with the material, it just doesn't seem to be a nicely produced as the original one it's replacing.

also mentioned that in the technical bulletin they are only changing this based on Customer demand, as not all cars seem to suffer the same level of annoyance of the sensors going off in the rain.

Lighter weight version is the yellow one perhaps. Cant see the next type r being lighter though as it supposed to be a hybrid

Smaller spoiler one would be interesting as I approach 40 soon-ish :D

Lighter weight version is the yellow one perhaps. Cant see the next type r being lighter though as it supposed to be a hybrid

Smaller spoiler one would be interesting as I approach 40 soon-ish :D

A smaller spoiler would block mirror visibility, current one is perfect! :p

A smaller spoiler would block mirror visibility, current one is perfect! :p

Yeah I agree, they should make it bigger if anything! :lol:

On a side note, don't see what all the fuss is about volume knob etc, fine as it is. I'd rather they improved the quality of steering wheel buttons, get rid of that cheap plastic clickyness

Yeah I agree, they should make it bigger if anything! :lol:

On a side note, don't see what all the fuss is about volume knob etc, fine as it is. I'd rather they improved the quality of steering wheel buttons, get rid of that cheap plastic clickyness

About the 'clickyness' I think it's the lesser of 2 evils in the world of ergonomics as you need to ensure that you get that tactile feedback from a button during driving. Just on that point alone I think the HU is rubbish and so hardly touch it (not helped by the slow responsiveness)
Having said all that the steering volume control was a real slider control in the 2016 Civic models and you can retrofit those onto the 2017-18 wheel.

Yeah, not too fussed. Given the deal i got on it too, i'm not going to complain :lol:

Out of interest, does anyone have pictures of what they are doing with the infotainment system/climate controls? Had a little trawl online and couldn't see anything. I like the clean look of the system as is and too many dials might make it a bit fussy?

Either way, love the car!!

FYI, the MY2019 update with the volume knob is for LHD cars only. UK market didn't get the update. I asked many dealers about this before purchasing.

Mine is also a 2019 car and doesn't have the volume knob!

How’s it going chaps! Finally back into a Honda, had the EP3 Type R years ago and the void was never filled,
I spent 3 years in a BMW 430d and spent 2 years lusting after the FK8, finally bought one on Saturday and I’m over the moon with it! Got a few questions though so here goes.

1. Spending 3 years with the BMW meant that I had 3 years worth of the frankly outstanding Harmon Kardon audio and the Civics 11 speaker system is nowhere near as good which is a given, I never expected it to be as good but I couldn’t believe how poor the quality is once you really turn it up, it’s distorted and very disappointing as Honda emphasised the 11 speaker upgraded audio on the spec sheet as part of the GT trim, has anybody picked up on this and found out a way to make it better without blowing the bank, I’m not after subwoofers and amps, I’m not 17 but I like my music and enjoy going for night drives.

2. The second gear crunch, is that still a thing?! My EP3 done it and so does this, It happened as I pulled away from my friends house and was very embarrassing, what is the right way to shift from first to second in a Type R when flooring it?

3. After I bought the car, I took a few friends out in it and properly floored it, the first time I did, I heard a loud knock from the left side of the car, it wasn’t a nice noise. On the same drive, my friend asked me how the brakes were so I braked hard and the same noise occurred again, at this point, my mood was ruined and I text the seller asking him, he said it’s never happened and he never drove the car that hard to realise it. He wouldn’t lie as it would be a warranty issue, not like it’s a 4K car where he would hide it.. I stopped driving the car in the same manner, where it’s hard acceleration and braking, I’ve found the right way/balance of driving it in a spirited manner. It never made the noise again until I was cruising along and hit a pothole that couldn’t be avoided, the noise happened again! Now I must say the Front tyres need replacing, I bought it privately and decided to replace the tyres myself as the guy would have got them from kwikfit for a fortune which I would have had to pay for. I ordered some online so waiting for them to come. This could be a reach but could it have something to do with the VSA, loss of traction/slip etc?
I think it’s a reach for them to be associated but I hope someone can advise me, my BMW spent a lot of time at BMW for minor problems but it was very annoying and I really dont want to take it to Honda. The benefit of BMW was getting decent loan cars, I really don’t want to drive around in a Jazz while my car gets looked at haha

Long message I know but we’re enthusiasts and this forum is for help so, please make my day gents

Yeah, the audio system is crap. Coming from a Chrysler 300C with an inbuilt system specced by Alpine to this was a major downgrade.

In fact, I just bought a Seat Mii as a second car for 8 grand and the "beats" audio in it is better.

Nuff said!

Back