• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 New FK8 owners Q&A - everything you want to know and dare to ask here

What seems to be the general consensus of opinion regarding what you have on the dash display? G meter? Fuel range?

Trev

So my feet were a bit cold this morning so I decided to switch the heating on. Put the temperature to high. I had some tunes on, not loud. I was sat there and could hear what sounded like muffled roadworks, you know the pneumatic drill noise?

Hmmmmmm. I had a look around and couldn't see anything

Maybe they were further up the road, nope!

Turned off the tunes and the noise sounded like it was coming from the engine bay. I switched off the heating and the noise went away.

Anybody else encountered this?

Would someone mind going to have a listen in their car and let me know?

Thanks

I have not heard that sort of sound I have to say. Is this a relatively new purchase for you and you have not used the heat before or did you get yours last autumn like me? I had it on throughout the beast from the east winter and was very silent.

I have not heard that sort of sound I have to say. Is this a relatively new purchase for you and you have not used the heat before or did you get yours last autumn like me? I had it on throughout the beast from the east winter and was very silent.

Yeah, I've only had the car 3 months. It was the peak of the heatwave so I haven't used the heating until today.

Would you mind checking when you get a chance on your car?

Would you mind checking when you get a chance on your car?

Just checked mine for you mate. It's also 3 months old (this week), and been stood for 48 hours. Nothing concerning with mine. I did this;

Started Car, turned Temp knob to "HI", the fan went to full speed and above the engine running noise I could hear the usual slightly metallic whirring noise.
I turned Climate Auto "OFF" and navigated to the Climate Menu and turned fan speed to lowest level. I could hear engine and usual metallic whirring.
I then turned A/C "OFF" and the Metallic engine whirring stopped and I can hear only the engine noise.
turned A/C "ON" and whirring returns after a "click" (A/C Magneto re-engaging).

basically, all as expected and usual. does your pneumatic road drill noise continue even with/without the A/C being switched on and off?

Just checked mine for you mate. It's also 3 months old (this week), and been stood for 48 hours. Nothing concerning with mine. I did this;

Started Car, turned Temp knob to "HI", the fan went to full speed and above the engine running noise I could hear the usual slightly metallic whirring noise.
I turned Climate Auto "OFF" and navigated to the Climate Menu and turned fan speed to lowest level. I could hear engine and usual metallic whirring.
I then turned A/C "OFF" and the Metallic engine whirring stopped and I can hear only the engine noise.
turned A/C "ON" and whirring returns after a "click" (A/C Magneto re-engaging).

basically, all as expected and usual. does your pneumatic road drill noise continue even with/without the A/C being switched on and off?

Thanks for checking. I have just checked at it only happens with the heating. Normal AC is fine and no AC is fine.

The noise is very faint but noticeable.

youtube link....

https://youtu.be/c_PZ09qbXUU

Noise starts at about 20 - 25 seconds in. Listen with headphones. You won't be able to hear if using speakers. Make sure you have volume turned up

just listened (had it loud, could hear you breathing!).... it sounds like a click and weird grumble noise from around 10 seconds into the clip which builds and gets worse around 30 seconds (to the point it sounds like a bit like a diesel rattle) but then at 33 seconds there's a click and it disappears.

do you get the same click/grumble experience with A/C on and off. might be worth filming it with the climate display screen in view and send the YouTube link to the dealer to have a quick listen on his lunch break?

just listened (had it loud, could hear you breathing!).... it sounds like a click and weird grumble noise from around 10 seconds into the clip which builds and gets worse around 30 seconds (to the point it sounds like a bit like a diesel rattle) but then at 33 seconds there's a click and it disappears.

do you get the same click/grumble experience with A/C on and off. might be worth filming it with the climate display screen in view and send the YouTube link to the dealer to have a quick listen on his lunch break?

Yeah, I'm a ex smoker so i sound like a pervert!

The noise is only there when the AC is switched on cold or hot. It's not a normal AC compressor noise.

I have spoken with my Honda dealer, it's going in tomorrow so they can have a look.

i will update once they have a look

****UPDATE****

So I took my car to Honda this morning and luckily they gave me a courtesy car (Jazz)

Just had a call from them and they said the noise is normal.

Hmmmmmm, I'm still a bit dubious. Apparently a technician, the service manager and a colleague who owns a Type R were sat in the car and cycled through AC on/off, cold and hot and all 3 of them think the noise is normal.

I guess now that it has been logged I will have more power if it does break in the warranty period.

What I would like to do is hear another owners AC. So if anybody is fairly close to me and wants to meet up, PM me. I work in Stanmore.

Thanks all

They are noisy AC units,
My fk2 sounds rough with AC running, switch it off and it quietly purrs,
Also not forgetting the engine gives off a diesel tappy sound, mix the 2 together and........

Hi new topic: Brakes on FK8

A few points to cover...
1.How do the electric parking brakes work (I assume clamping the brake discs)?
2. With that in mind is it best to leave these off when the car is stood as per old school hand brakes (risk of seizing)? - just leave in gear?
3. How best to look after the silver bits (unpainted) of the rears calipers?
4. Same question to keep the lovely Brembo fronts right - the lacquer can peel I hear :(

Thank you :)

Hey David

1 - Clamps the rear discs - upon operation of switch you can hear the mechanism up the back
2 - Nah, whack it on, risk of rolling more dangerous than seizing.
3 - Really starting to deteriorate now. I keep meaning to do a wheels off then will paint those silver using calliper paint
4 - I would ceramic coat from day one and just look after. I have not ceramic coated and wish I did..!

Just enjoy it though, wear and tear is an unfortunate by product..!

Not really expected on 1 to 2 year old cars though, rusty nuts after a few months was the other issue (mine have now gone that way).
Wheels and calipers are worth forgetting about as it's more of a when than if, my unprotected champ white alloys on my fn2 looked heaps better after 3 years old than my fk2's

3. How best to look after the silver bits (unpainted) of the rears calipers?
4. Same question to keep the lovely Brembo fronts right - the lacquer can peel I hear :(

3. Autofinesse Iron Out & toothbrush followed by toothbrush with car shampoo

4. Autofinesse Iron Out,long reach wheel brush,toothbrush & soft brush to get in by the bleed nipple etc (followed by car shampoo with the brushes too)

These are mine after nearly 2 years & 12,000 miles :)

Regards,Mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
3. Autofinesse Iron Out & toothbrush followed by toothbrush with car shampoo

4. Autofinesse Iron Out,long reach wheel brush,toothbrush & soft brush to get in by the bleed nipple etc (followed by car shampoo with the brushes too)

These are mine after nearly 2 years & 12,000 miles :)

Regards,Mark.

Thanks Mark (and to the others who replied)...

I'll get busy with fine brushes then!

Question : are those the OEM disks still (at 12k?)...

Cheers :)

Back