• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Headlight bulbs keeps blowing - Change connector?

Hi all,

I have a Facelift EP3 and in the past 3 or 4 weeks I have had 4 headlight bulbs blow. Once on the drivers side and 3 times on the passenger side.

I have done a quick search and it sounds like for some people this has been a common problem. I have tried cheap and more expensive bulbs and I am careful not to touch the glass when fitting them, however recently they just keep blowing.

I expect the cold weather isn't helping but I did wonder if it might be the connectors as these are looking rather rusty and wondered if I should change these first to see if it helps.

Being a Facelift the headlight bulbs are H1 but I have found these H4 connectors on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-H4-3-...932605&hash=item3d3ce93657:g:lwoAAOSwB-1Yx91n

Can anyone confirm if it is the right one so I can order them. The ones I currently have look very similar with the 3 Pins although with the H1 bulbs the top Pin isn't used.

Alternatively are there any other suggestions as to what I can try?

Thanks.

Pre facelift are H4 and facelift are H1 mate.

Been having the same issue this winter too, been through 6-8 bulbs now since October. Yet it's the first year since I've had the car that it's been an issue.

Pre facelift are H4 and facelift are H1 mate.

Been having the same issue this winter too, been through 6-8 bulbs now since October. Yet it's the first year since I've had the car that it's been an issue.

Cheers for the reply. I never had the issue last winter either. It's a pain in the arse.

I realised that the bulbs are H1 for facelift. It's hard for me to explain easily.

The bulb plugs into the bulb holder and this bulb holder then has 2 pins on it. This then plugs into a connector like the one above leaving the third Pin unused.

So although the bulbs are different for pre facelift and facelift I wondered if they still used the same style 3 pin connector above. Either that I my car has had a bodge done on it at some point!

I'm still not sure if that makes sense. Ha ha. Anyway I have ordered a pair so I will have a look once they arrive.

It might be worth checking if the rubber circle boot seals that surround the bulbs are not perished or not not sealing properly as I had to buy new ones last winter and fingers crossed it has worked so far. They are dear for genuine Honda ones though at £18 each

Cheers for the reply. I never had the issue last winter either. It's a pain in the arse.

I realised that the bulbs are H1 for facelift. It's hard for me to explain easily.

The bulb plugs into the bulb holder and this bulb holder then has 2 pins on it. This then plugs into a connector like the one above leaving the third Pin unused.

So although the bulbs are different for pre facelift and facelift I wondered if they still used the same style 3 pin connector above. Either that I my car has had a bodge done on it at some point!

I'm still not sure if that makes sense. Ha ha. Anyway I have ordered a pair so I will have a look once they arrive.
I know which connector you mean, I'll have to check mine and let you know.

It might be worth checking if the rubber circle boot seals that surround the bulbs are not perished or not not sealing properly as I had to buy new ones last winter and fingers crossed it has worked so far. They are dear for genuine Honda ones though at £18 each
Might not be a bad idea really thinking about it.

I will have a look at mine. From what I recall they seem in good condition but I will check.

You could have condensation building up in the light unit, that then turns to water and the bulb will blow because of the water in it/around it. I had the same problem on an old car, check the boot and then get some WD40/SP10 and spray up the back of the light+boot, spray the terminal plug as well. Put a little on the bulb base, not the glass.

Back