• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

High miler care EP3

Hi iv just got my first ep3 it’s on a 54 plate and covered 130k (near enuf)
Just looking for any advice on keeping it healthy as I’m planing on keeping it until it’s usable life is over. It’s fsh ,I’ve just serviced it ,I’m about to change gearbox oil and the aux belt.
How often should I do this now with its high mileage and do I need any additives in any of the oils ?
I didn’t pay a lot for the car so I don’t want to spend a huge amount of money on it , it drives spot on and sound sweet all standard, should I be looking at doing the chain ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi iv just got my first ep3 it’s on a 54 plate and covered 130k (near enuf)
Just looking for any advice on keeping it healthy as I’m planing on keeping it until it’s usable life is over. It’s fsh ,I’ve just serviced it ,I’m about to change gearbox oil and the aux belt.
How often should I do this now with its high mileage and do I need any additives in any of the oils ?
I didn’t pay a lot for the car so I don’t want to spend a huge amount of money on it , it drives spot on and sound sweet all standard, should I be looking at doing the chain ?

Thanks in advance.

Chain replacement around 100k
As long you keep and eye on oil level decent sparks plugs iriduim laser are good most ep3 owners have them

Valve clearance check every 25k

Chain replacement around 100k
As long you keep and eye on oil level decent sparks plugs iriduim laser are good most ep3 owners have them

Valve clearance check every 25k

Do the valve clearances often fall out ? I’ll be looking to diy the valve clearance if they need doing . The vtec comes in just fine at the moment .

I did the gearbox oil and changed the aux belt too, not too awkward. Keep an eye on the brakes, binding is not unheard of.

OEM filter & fully synthetic oil (Castrol Edge) change every 5K miles and use 97 RON petrol....

Yep always use high octane fuel and I’m using Petronas fully synthetic oil and got Honda gearbox oil. I had an aux belt come with the car it does squeak now and then and I actually have a full set of new sliders.

I have done around 80,000 miles in my Type R 2002. That is over the space of 5 years. I purchased it at 80,000miles.

I only ever needed recovery once - My pulley bearings got completely mashed one time, so it maybe worth changing the pulleys too if there’s any noise around the aux belt. Unbelievably reliable car.

Here is a list of the things I had to spend money on the most:
- petrol - sharper on super
- tyres - this is the most important
- oil - it will need plenty if you use vtec (Honda manual says 1litre for 800 miles is normal)
- brake pads
- brake calipers seizing - happens on high mileage
- steering rack knocks - didn’t bother me
- tie rod ends/arms/bushes - normal maintence not expensive
-engine mounts - can be costly if you need all but makes huge difference

Timing chain was checked but never replaced. Runs spot on. Achieves 40 mpg and 18 lowest . Just doesn’t cost much is the point I’m trying to make. However I did not modify mine. This engines are bullet proof if you service them. Oh and get yourself a jdm short hamp filter. Look on amazon or eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chain replacement is not every 100k, it's not even listed in the service schedule. It's whenever it needs changing which all depends on how the car is looked after.

Back