• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Grinding noise on cold start

Hey guys and girls.

Pretty sure this will have been raised before but just wondering if many have had/solved this issue.

I have a 2007 fn2. And upon a cold start I get a 2 second grinding noise. No issues with starting just the embarrassing noise.

Hear a few people suggest the starter motor may not be disengaging as it should. However, I've seen others which indicate the VTC filter may need cleaning/replacing.

I can see where the filter is but don't want to remove anything I shouldn't be to be honest.

Seems to dissappear for a few days after an oil change so I'm leaning more towards the VTC than the starter motor.

Could someone/anyone instruct on how I can gain access to the filter please.

Thanks in advance guys and girls.

Drive safe.

Rob.

It's just the starter motor not disengaging fast enough, all K20's are pretty much the same. People have bought new ones and they still do it.

VTC is nonsense.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yeah, I thought the starter motor initially, just don't understand why it stops for a while after an oil change. Done the same after my last 2 oil changes. 3-4 days without the noise, then creeps back in. And why only on a cold start??
Curious to get to this filter just to completely rule it out.

Cheers for your reply though. Much appreciated.

Mine is the same mate it'll do it then go away for a week or two.

The VTC would not make a grinding noise, if it's the little VTC switch your on about it's only a little solenoid which lets pressurised oil pass.

It's usually the cold that makes the starters grind, Honda did acknowledge this but stopped when the new starter motors did the same.

People have reported taken the starter apart and regreasing but it just comes back.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://japserviceparts.co.uk/genuine-honda-vtc-filter-k20a-k20a2-k20z4.html

That's the part I was thinking might need replacing. A couple of videos from the US seem to suggest this can get clogged up after a good few miles (obviously not on the fn2, and most on the accord), and stop oil passing through quickly enough on start up. Not had the car that long and can't be sure oil was changed as often as I'd like. Only annual service stamps in the book.

Would very much like this £4 part to be the solution. Just not sure how to access it myself. Can see it, just can't reach it.

Cheers again.

If the filter was clogged your VTC actuator wouldn't work correctly and neither would your VTC. This would throw up an EML (I know as I blew my VTC solenoid up, long story).

100% the starter motor mate.

Hi @robhunt1990

Was there any resolution to this? I have the exact same thing on my 2009. Making me paranoid....

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really mate, but even when people have changed the starter motor for new ones they start doing again a couple of years later.

Back