• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 rust?

9B0304EF-CFE3-4ADE-B47E-632C00229F15.jpeg

Please let me know if that attachment isn’t working, not sure if I did it right. Recently bought a type r from a dealer and was just checking all my levels and inspecting for rust under bonnet and noticed a bad patch of rust down behind the engine bay? I’m not sure what part this is but I agitated it with my finger and a lot started flaking off should this be a concern? The picture is rotated 90degree to the right by mistake and the rod looks closer than it is in photo

Think it is the brace/bar thing that goes from one side to the other. Think it is removable, sure I've seen bolts on either end. How easy though is another matter.

Looks like the front lower brace. It doesn't look too corroded tbh. The Bits that flaked off were probably just bits of paint.

Reckon I should get it looked at or wait til I service it at Honda? No more pics no sorry, gonna have another look at it tomorrow and peel off as much as I can ?

Can be replaced, mine looks like that. It's quite exposed down there below the tie rods.

I'm painting the whole underside in por15 rust prevention and then chassis coat. Gets rave reviews from all the classic car boys, so once any light bits of rust have been cleaned up, it should be good as new.

A little tin will go miles, so good to have to touch up and surface rust and would probs save that little brace bar.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I'm painting the whole underside in por15 rust prevention and then chassis coat. Gets rave reviews from all the classic car boys, so once any light bits of rust have been cleaned up, it should be good as new.

A little tin will go miles, so good to have to touch up and surface rust and would probs save that little brace bar.

Yeah ep3's are getting to that age now I'm considering a full wirebrush and rust prevent underneath my civic, trying to find a ramp I can borrow for half a day to make it easier.

Hi Norv, I know it’s been a year since this thread but did you get round to doing the whole underside in POR15 ? If so was it as good as people say? Does it last a long time before the rust comes back? I’m thinking of doing mine after winter as my sills are looking rusty and want to act on it before they get to point of no return!!

Yeah I brushed any bits of surface rust and gave it the base coat and top coat. I filled the inner sill voids with dynax wax and as much paint as I could as they were fairly bad. I didn't bother putting the grommits back in as I'd rather the water can escape again.

So far so good, the rust doesn't look to have changed at all and the underside is still nice and uniform in finish.

It's a horrible messy job, but as it doesn't get used much I'm glad I did it.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

Nice one, cheers for the reply, I will definitely get on the underbody sealing after winter and will use the same method. I was wondering weather to remove the rubber grommets and leave them out? Did you use the metal prep por15 before you applied the por15 base coat? Or did you paint the por15 base coat straight on the brushed metal? Cheers

Yep, that's the lower brace and most EP3's are like that, Here is how bad mine was....

sorry having trouble with image....:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that's the lower brace and most EP3's are like that, Here is how bad mine was....

sorry having trouble with image....:mad:
Must be bad Crowds if the flakes of rust aren't even showing in an image!

I just used brake cleaner and blew it all off with an air line to make sure it wasn't greasy and painted it on. Seemed okay, but would be better to follow their instructions I guess.

I had some of it ready and then found some free time to get on the ramp at work so I wasn't all that prepared for it to buy some of their primer etc.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

I had the lower brace removed a few weeks ago when the steering arms were replaced. Seems to bolt across and to the heat shield, access seemed easy enough but it was up on ramps at the time.

I was lucky enough to knock the surface rust off, prime and put a quick blast of paint on mine before it went back.

https://flic.kr/p/2im1pgG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back