• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Declaring mods you don't have...

Bit of weird one but I was just wondering; is there any issue with declaring mods you're definitely going to get but don't actually have yet?

Reason for doing this being dodging "admin fees" for modifying your policy, "Admin Fees" being insurance speak for twisting the barbed rod they're already f***king you with... just to get some extra cash out you.

Example; when I added braided brake lines I didn't incur a cost but when I added a Miltek I did, despite the policy cost not increasing.

So rather than incur £30 a pop for each of the mods I plan on doing; can I just declare them all at once, pay the extra insurance costs (if any) and in the event of a fault claim, still be insured despite not having the mods?

Cheers,
Ryan

Not declaring mods will in 99% of cases I'm pretty sure will void your policy.

Best idea is to save up, get everything fitted in one go and then insure it all at the same time

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Could technically be construed as fraud if your policy pays out for modifications. Ie, insuring the car for an increased value due to said modifications, having an accident or being stolen, and then trying to claim for their worth when they're not actually there. Most insurance companies will inspect modified cars in the event of a claim (usually in a hope to invalidate your policy to save them paying out), so I'd be inclined to not risk it.

I guess the best bet would be to ask your insurance company, as I’d imagine you’d get different answers from different people.

Yea best to just declare all of it. I'm lucky as I've added a few mods to my existing policy and they didn't charge any admin fee and it didn't change the amount of my insurance

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bit of weird one but I was just wondering; is there any issue with declaring mods you're definitely going to get but don't actually have yet?

Reason for doing this being dodging "admin fees" for modifying your policy, "Admin Fees" being insurance speak for twisting the barbed rod they're already f***king you with... just to get some extra cash out you.

Example; when I added braided brake lines I didn't incur a cost but when I added a Miltek I did, despite the policy cost not increasing.

So rather than incur £30 a pop for each of the mods I plan on doing; can I just declare them all at once, pay the extra insurance costs (if any) and in the event of a fault claim, still be insured despite not having the mods?

Cheers,
Ryan

Hi Ryan, the way we'd handle this is to get an idea from you what mods you're likely to undertake during the year at the beginning of the policy. Then, there'd be no admin fee for adding them. The only cost would be the insurer's premium adjustment (if the mod incurs one).

best,
Nick

The rules on this changed a few years back - here's an excerpt from an article we wrote for the Saab Owners Club GB magazine at the time:

The Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act 2012 came into force in April 2013.

Under the Act it is still the duty of consumers to take reasonable care not to make a misrepresentation to the insurer but there will no longer be a need for consumers to volunteer information that an insurer might regard as material. This increases the onus on providers to ask the right questions (and properly record the answers).

The result is that claims can no longer be thrown out just because the consumer didn't disclose a certain detail. The test is whether the omission was ‘deliberate or reckless’ or merely ‘careless’.

The insurer will be able to refuse a claim where a consumer deliberately or recklessly makes a misrepresentation. But the remedies for the less serious, 'careless', misrepresentation are based on what the insurer would have done if the consumer had complied with the duty to take reasonable care.

In short, if you don’t ask us if there’s any modifications to the vehicle, we don’t have to say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how I read it, but it's a standard question to my knowledge to ask?
It is when you take out a policy. They also normally state in the terms that it could invalidate your insurance if you don’t notify them of any changes

Best idea is to save up, get everything fitted in one go and then insure it all at the same time

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm talking about declaring something that isn't there rather than not declaring... All my mods are declared. Regarding voided policies, there are numerous examples on the financial ombudsmen website where insurers have refused to pay out because of undeclared mods, the FO have stepped in and the insurance company has paid out, less the cost of the increased premium if they were declared.

Hi Ryan, the way we'd handle this is to get an idea from you what mods you're likely to undertake during the year at the beginning of the policy. Then, there'd be no admin fee for adding them. The only cost would be the insurer's premium adjustment (if the mod incurs one).

best,
Nick

From what I understand, you use the same underwriters as Adrian Flux? If this is how you handle it, I'll get a quote from your next renewal cause I'm with AF at the mo and I guess it'll be the same with this added benefit.

Cheers,
Ryan

From what I understand, you use the same underwriters as Adrian Flux? If this is how you handle it, I'll get a quote from your next renewal cause I'm with AF at the mo and I guess it'll be the same with this added benefit.

Cheers,
Ryan

Hi Ryan, that'd be great. We do have access to some of the same underwriters but we have arranged our own deals with those, and others too. Definitely give us a call at renewal.

N

Back